I've noticed women who have high cal diets...how?

Options

Replies

• theresasimone
    Options
    I eat about 1700 to 2000 calories a day but since I exercise enough, I burn about 300-500 calories off.
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    You should never eat under 1200 calories or better yet eat under 1400 calories....why??? Your body enters into starvation mode and your body will hold on to the fat and make it into fat because it doesn't know when you will eat again.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    because calories in calories out is a crock. Quality calories and workouts are a whole nother story...

Not sure if srs...
  • WrenStory
    WrenStory Posts: 103
    Options
    1. They know what their actual TDEE is through experience or prediction formulas.
    2. They do some form of regular exercise such as cardio, strength-training, or both which raises TDEE.
    3. They understand there is a limit to how much fat mass that can be oxidized in one day thus choose a suitable deficit.
    4. They eat the maximum amount of calories for steady fat loss instead of eating the minimum.

Excellent info here. And #4 I think is something that may be difficult for a newb to wrap their head around, but it's a significant point. At some point along the way, through using the prediction and trial & error method, you can figure out how much you can eat and still lose, or maintain, or gain (depending on goal)... instead of aiming for the least amount, which is the common approach among those less educated about the science on this.
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Smart people in this thread :smile:

I currently eat about 1900 cals/day and workout 4-5 days/week. Some of those days are just 30-45 mins where others might be 90 mins...3 weight lifting sessions and 2-3 aerobics/kickboxing classes.

You do not have to starve to lose weight and really, you shouldn't as it's not healthy nor is it sustainable. The key is to getting your calories from healthy foods and not junk...and exercising.

I will be upping my calories soon in order to maintain rather than lose weight.
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I tried the 1200 cal thing and it was awful! No one should live like that. I have been reading on the EM2LW discussion area and trying different things since September. I’m still trying to find the right place for me to start losing, but I’m NOT gaining which is important. I am now eating BMR (1380) plus 100 (1480) plus every exercise cal – typically 200-400 per day every day… so anywhere between 1680-1880 cals a day. My TDEE is 2100, so -15% = 1785… if I don’t start losing I’m going to ADD 100 calories to this formula, then ADD another 100. That’s my plan. Everything you need to know is in the road map – links posted above by others. Good luck.
  • relledge
    Options
    I am 5'7" and weigh 141 pounds. I try to eat between 1200-1400 calories per day and work out 4-6 days a week mainly cardio and circuit training. It depends on your goals and your bodies metabolism. Figuring our your BMR really helps to determine how much you should eat. Keep in mind in order to lose weight no matter who you are you have to create at 3500 calorie deficit to lose 1 pound....so if you eat 2000 calories a day that's fine as long as your BMR supports this amount of calories and you are working out to burn any additional..the way I eat is currently working for me I have lost almost 3 pounds this week. My goal weight would be to get back to 130 which is my "Racing Weight". I compete in triathlons so for my purpose lighter is better :-)
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Lost 60 lbs eating 1800-2000 with 3-5 days of 30-45 mins exercise a week. Maintaining 2 years at 2000-2300.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I can eat high calorie because I'm bigger than most women. I'm 5'11'' for starters and I'm overweight so my calorie counts are higher. On workout days I eat over 2000 and I've lost 40lbs in 3.5 months. (stalled over the holidays but it's ok) If I don't work out I try to stay around 1800 for the day and this is what's been working for me. As I keep dropping weight then I will need fewer calories, but as a woman close to 6' I will always eat more than a woman half a foot shorter than me.
  • 2shoes123
    2shoes123 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    bump
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    You should try it too. Eating more and losing weight is amazing and wonderful.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    1. They know what their actual TDEE is through experience or prediction formulas.
    2. They do some form of regular exercise such as cardio, strength-training, or both which raises TDEE.
    3. They understand there is a limit to how much fat mass that can be oxidized in one day thus choose a suitable deficit.
    4. They eat the maximum amount of calories for steady fat loss instead of eating the minimum.

Couldn't have said it better myself. 1850 cals for me!

ETA: I'm 5'6" and keep my weight between 118 and 122 lbs
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I can eat high calorie because I'm bigger than most women. I'm 5'11'' for starters and I'm overweight so my calorie counts are higher. On workout days I eat over 2000 and I've lost 40lbs in 3.5 months. (stalled over the holidays but it's ok) If I don't work out I try to stay around 1800 for the day and this is what's been working for me. As I keep dropping weight then I will need fewer calories, but as a woman close to 6' I will always eat more than a woman half a foot shorter than me.

Not true...

I've got friends on my list who are shorter and eat that much because they lift weights.

Also, you do not need to eat less as you drop weight... I'm 5'9, and always ate between 1500-1800 calories as I lost.. and even upped them because the more I lost, the hungrier I became.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Also remember that not everyone on this site is actually trying to lose weight. There are people that are trying to maintain or gain muscle or even gain weight. There are people that eat back exercise calories and people that don't. So just seeing how many calories they eat doesn't paint the whole picture.
  • erinpooh
    Options
    I eat about 1800 or 1900 a day, sometimes more, rarely less. I work out an hour plus every morning because I love it and I love to eat. The Stair Master says I burn 1000 calories. Don't know if it's completely accurate, but I figure 70-90 minutes at level 15 is pretty good and it's apparently working, so I'll keep doing it.

If I want something good, I eat it, just in moderation. Feeling deprived or even hungry--not even starving--just doesn't work for me. If I'm hungry, the diet does not work for me at all, so I make sure I never go hungry. I do splurge on things, but it's usually dessert, and I always, always track it.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options

This.

I'm 5'4", 36 yo, and currently weigh 130 pounds. I rarely eat less than 1,600 calories on rest days and on my strength training days I will go as high as 2,400.
  • ashleen7
    ashleen7 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    This. Makes losing weight in general easier and more sustainable.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    those women lead by example, and i love having them on my friends list.

i'm constantly struggling to keep up with them.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Pretty much.

I lose on 2000 cals a day. It's awesome.

29 years old, 5'6", 184lbs. I strength train 2-3 times a week and do cardio 2-3 times a week (sometimes combined with strength training days).
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options

Pretty much this. I knew about how much I was burning both with and without exercise and I ate around 1700 for most of my weight loss and now that I'm super close to my goal I eat around 2000 most days. I exercise 5 days per week and go for walks and hikes. :smile:

ETA that I don't really consider my diet to be a high calorie diet either :wink: It would be high calorie for a sedentary person (like me before lol)
This discussion has been closed.