I've noticed women who have high cal diets...how?

Options

Replies

• margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    All good replies. I have found that eating whole, clean, dense foods works best. eg. 100 calorie cookie pack OR a sliced cucumber topped with 1/2c greek yogurt and seasonings? That 100 calorie pack 'might' fill my tummy, but the HUGE bowl of vegetables and yogurt always does the trick :wink:
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    1. They know what their actual TDEE is through experience or prediction formulas.
    2. They do some form of regular exercise such as cardio, strength-training, or both which raises TDEE.
    3. They understand there is a limit to how much fat mass that can be oxidized in one day thus choose a suitable deficit.
    4. They eat the maximum amount of calories for steady fat loss instead of eating the minimum.

This is the reason I eat between 1900 - 2000 calories / day. My tdee is close to 2000 and right now I am aiming 1900 because I want to lose the couple of pounds I put on durin my vacation and holiday.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Working out tons and eating to match your activity will make your metabolism soar. I found out the hard way ;)
    Working out tons isn't the answer either - in fact over training can be detrimental to weight/fat loss! :tongue:

I started with the 1200 per day setting, like most at MFP. Worked for awhile, but it wasn't enough food! I found the Road Map, and so glad I did: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I am 44, 5'8", between 137-140lbs on any given day, and eating 1700 to 2000 calories per day. My average workout is less than an hour per day, alternating weights (I have dumbbells, would lift heavy with barbells if I had the funds for a gym or the big weights at home!) and running 3-6 miles, 3 days of each, and at least one rest day. I generally burn 250-350 calories per workout, except of the days when I run over 4 miles.

Find your BMR and TDEE through that link to the Road Map, eat in between those numbers. My weight hasn't changed much in the last six months, but who cares - I've dropped another pants size and am still losing fat and inches, and I'm not hungry. I still enjoy life, eating healthy foods as well as enjoying pizza, burgers, desserts, alcohol, etc.

I didn't gain any weight over Christmas, despite enjoying plenty of goodies, and I even took a full week off from exercise. :bigsmile:
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I eat and maintain at an average of 2500 a day. Sometimes it's 2300, sometimes it's 2800. Depends on what I do. But that's the key. DOING! I lift 2-3x a week, run 10-12 miles a week and do lots of other activity interspersed.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    My size. I can eat 1800 calories per day and lose weight. Heck, sometimes I eat 2000.

That will change once I'm smaller, of course.

My maintenance calories are close to 2000. In the summer, I have to up this 2200 because at 2000 I lose weight. I am 37, 5'4 and 118 at the moment. I am eating at a very small deficit right now (1900) to lose the couple of pounds I gained during vacation. If you are exercising, you can probably eat more and still lose weight.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Working out tons isn't the answer either - in fact over training can be detrimental to weight/fat loss! :tongue:

^
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    because calories in calories out is a crock. Quality calories and workouts are a whole nother story...
    I very strongly disagree with it being a "crock". As evidenced by my complete body transformation. It really IS that simple.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I have a question about how to figure my tdee. What activity level should I enter? I am a stay at home mom so I think I am sedentary other than when I workout. Most days I am sitting doing school with my kids (we homeschool). I do the normal chores of housework, but those aren't strenuous. I workout about 6 days a week for 40-60 minutes. Burning anywhere from 300-600 calories per HRM. What I have done is put my activity level in as sedentary and then I try to eat back most of my exercise calories. So, right now I eat 1600 calories + exercise calories. I am 5'6" and 197 lbs. If I enter my activity as working out 3-5 hours per week the calculator tells me I can eat about 2000. Is that the same as what I am doing now?

It is best to underestimate your activity level, so I would definitely put sedentary down at first. The thing with figuring out your TDEE, though, is it calculates in your exercise calories already, so don't eat those back. If you find you are losing weight too quickly and/or are hungry all the time still, you may need to bump up your activity multiplier.

Thank you.
  • Shas2228
    Shas2228 Posts: 187
    Options
    MFP gave me 1770 because of my weight. However I keep it light carb, I'm always under my calories, and I haven't exercised the way I should.
  • svgarcia
    svgarcia Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Loving the replies of women who are eating more and seeing good results! I am not a fan of anyone starving themselves as it can lead to a damaged metabolism and weight loss stall..

My question is this: How do I (or do I even try to) approach this subject with a friend at work. She is around my mother's age and has never worked out before. Her age, by the way, is only important because I feel she may not take advice or suggestions on her health from someone who is younger than her own son. And she is stubborn as hell to begin with. Basically, she is starving herself throughout the day at work eating only an english muffin for breakfast (120 cals) and greek yogurt for lunch (140 cals). I don't know what she eats for dinner, but I assume she eats more than this while at home.

She will sometimes complain to me about wanting to lose weight, but not being able to do so. She is not obese by any means, but you can tell that she has very little muscle and a high BF%. She has recently been having health problems related to bone loss/bone density and I know that her diet and lack of exercise have contributed to this. I feel that when she complains, I should say something, but I don't. So.... What should I do? Should I offer some suggestions or some articles to read on the subject? Or should I let her doctor inform her of what to do??
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot and I exercise a lot. It's working for me.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Loving the replies of women who are eating more and seeing good results! I am not a fan of anyone starving themselves as it can lead to a damaged metabolism and weight loss stall..

My question is this: How do I (or do I even try to) approach this subject with a friend at work. She is around my mother's age and has never worked out before. Her age, by the way, is only important because I feel she may not take advice or suggestions on her health from someone who is younger than her own son. And she is stubborn as hell to begin with. Basically, she is starving herself throughout the day at work eating only an english muffin for breakfast (120 cals) and greek yogurt for lunch (140 cals). I don't know what she eats for dinner, but I assume she eats more than this while at home.

She will sometimes complain to me about wanting to lose weight, but not being able to do so. She is not obese by any means, but you can tell that she has very little muscle and a high BF%. She has recently been having health problems related to bone loss/bone density and I know that her diet and lack of exercise have contributed to this. I feel that when she complains, I should say something, but I don't. So.... What should I do? Should I offer some suggestions or some articles to read on the subject? Or should I let her doctor inform her of what to do??

The next time she complains I would just ask her, Have you considered working out? Then if/when she says No, gently ease into a conversation about exercise. She can at least start with walking.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    How are you losing weight eating 1700 to 2100 cals a day? I mean not that I'm jealous or anything:sad:

They work their butts off! You can eat more calories if you burn them off. No magic formula.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy weights, and eating quality calories.

Yes, this!! :smile:
  • mamasmaltz3
    Options
    I have a question about how to figure my tdee. What activity level should I enter? I am a stay at home mom so I think I am sedentary other than when I workout. Most days I am sitting doing school with my kids (we homeschool). I do the normal chores of housework, but those aren't strenuous. I workout about 6 days a week for 40-60 minutes. Burning anywhere from 300-600 calories per HRM. What I have done is put my activity level in as sedentary and then I try to eat back most of my exercise calories. So, right now I eat 1600 calories + exercise calories. I am 5'6" and 197 lbs. If I enter my activity as working out 3-5 hours per week the calculator tells me I can eat about 2000. Is that the same as what I am doing now?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833500-what-do-i-do-common-sense-cliff-notes <~ explained in regular chick terminology

Thanks! I am starting to get into heavier lifting. I am doing a program that mixes Tabata and HIIT, with strength training. I have about 3 more weeks on that program and then I am going to start a lifting heavy program. Currently I am using dumbbells as heavy as I can go to get in 8 reps x 3. I am loving the results. I know I am wearing pants that I wore before at about 15-20 lbs less than I am now. That was back before I got pregnant with my son and was working out on the eliptical and doing Pilates. I have a barbell set at home that I am going to start using I just need to get a decent bench. Do you think I will need to up my calories when I do that?
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    cause i'm lifting weights! i'm also active at work, running up stairs 2 at a time to deliver packages, moving boxes of paper, doing all the stuff my heavier coworkers don't want to do because they'd have to stand up.

i'm also young, and apparently that means your metabolism is faster.

i ate at 1200-1300 when i was fatter, but with less fat to fuel me, and harder workouts, i need more food.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    How are you losing weight eating 1700 to 2100 cals a day? I mean not that I'm jealous or anything:sad:

They work their butts off! You can eat more calories if you burn them off. No magic formula.

I actually only work out (lifting heavy) 3 days a week, less than an hour usually. I don't do any cardio. I think there may be several others on here too that would say that they do not live in the gym, either. If you know your numbers and where you can lose weight most efficiently (I said efficient, not fast!) then you don't have to really kill yourself doing it!
  • mamasmaltz3
    Options

There are lots of good articles and studies that show the benefits of weight training for women of all ages but especially for older women. You can offer those to her and if you really care, you can offer your time to show her how to do it. The idea of weight lifting can be intimidating to someone who has never done it.

Edited to add that I said weight lifting because of her problems with bone density. That is going to be the best way for her to reverse bone loss.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options

You could always direct her to this site and reference topics about BMR, TDEE, fitness, and overall nutrition. Let her figure this stuff out by herself. Maybe when you bring topics up that she's not aware of, she may ask you to explain things to her. Then you could reference her current habits. It is nice that you care, but be careful! Broaching weight with a woman of ANY age is difficult lol. :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.