I've noticed women who have high cal diets...how?

Options

Replies

• Jaymefirst
    Jaymefirst Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • brendaj39
    brendaj39 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    bump, very useful info..thanks for the post
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump bump. So the newbies know they don't need to starve. :)<3

I highly recommend strength training.

The New Rules of Lifting series is a good place to start. There is also Starting Strength, 5x5, etc.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I need to eat more so I can fuel my hard *kitten* workouts. plus those workouts keep me burning all day so sometimes if my meal is small it probably just evaporates mostly. <~ not scientific fact.

PLUS I do IF a couple times a week, which means I wont eat between 7 or 8 pm and noon the next day after a weight session (like today) - then I aim for a 750 calorie lunch and a 1000-1200 calorie dinner. I can rarely finish both meals, so I consider the coffee and nuts and berries and such that I graze on through the day to fill in the gaps that are left.

When I stuck to 1000-1400 calories a day, I hit a plateau and couldnt lose anymore. It wasnt til I upped my calories and incorporated all this lifting stuff.

forget your goal weight for the scale, work on the weight you can pick up.

picking things up and putting them down and eating nutritionally awesome foods will give you a dream body.
    endless cardio and nutritionally awesome foods on restricted calories will help you get your goal weight.

BEST OF LUCK DOLL!
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I have a question about how to figure my tdee. What activity level should I enter? I am a stay at home mom so I think I am sedentary other than when I workout. Most days I am sitting doing school with my kids (we homeschool). I do the normal chores of housework, but those aren't strenuous. I workout about 6 days a week for 40-60 minutes. Burning anywhere from 300-600 calories per HRM. What I have done is put my activity level in as sedentary and then I try to eat back most of my exercise calories. So, right now I eat 1600 calories + exercise calories. I am 5'6" and 197 lbs. If I enter my activity as working out 3-5 hours per week the calculator tells me I can eat about 2000. Is that the same as what I am doing now?
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    DP
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    1. They know what their actual TDEE is through experience or prediction formulas.
    2. They do some form of regular exercise such as cardio, strength-training, or both which raises TDEE.
    3. They understand there is a limit to how much fat mass that can be oxidized in one day thus choose a suitable deficit.
    4. They eat the maximum amount of calories for steady fat loss instead of eating the minimum.

:flowerforyou:
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Your body is like a furnace. You have to add fuel for it to burn well. You fuel it too little and it's going to run very crappy.

I lost 50lbs here eating about 1200 a day. I was miserable, hungry all the time and I have now gained back about half of that...Now I am working on around 1900-2000 a day.
  • LauraJo08
    LauraJo08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    How are you losing weight eating 1700 to 2100 cals a day? I mean not that I'm jealous or anything:sad:

Like others have said, I eat AND lose weight. First of all, I'm 5'10 and 170 pounds, so my body definitely could not survive on 1200 calories per day. To lose 1 lb per week, I eat 1810 calories, and that's not including exercise. Since I exercise 6X per week and usually for an hour or more, on average during the week I eat 2300-2600 calories. And they are delicious.

It took me very little time to learn that reasonable goals + realizing that slow,consistent, and sustainable nutrition changes were the only way that this would be a complete switch in lifestyle instead of a yo/yoing pattern like the past.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I need to eat more so I can fuel my hard *kitten* workouts. plus those workouts keep me burning all day so sometimes if my meal is small it probably just evaporates mostly. <~ not scientific fact.

PLUS I do IF a couple times a week, which means I wont eat between 7 or 8 pm and noon the next day after a weight session (like today) - then I aim for a 750 calorie lunch and a 1000-1200 calorie dinner. I can rarely finish both meals, so I consider the coffee and nuts and berries and such that I graze on through the day to fill in the gaps that are left.

When I stuck to 1000-1400 calories a day, I hit a plateau and couldnt lose anymore. It wasnt til I upped my calories and incorporated all this lifting stuff.

forget your goal weight for the scale, work on the weight you can pick up.

picking things up and putting them down and eating nutritionally awesome foods will give you a dream body.
    endless cardio and nutritionally awesome foods on restricted calories will help you get your goal weight.

BEST OF LUCK DOLL!

Best advice right here. It's hard to wrap your mind around since we've been programmed for so long that in order to lose weight we have to eat 1,200 calories, and NO MORE. LoL. But once you do, it's fantastic to realize I don't have to be hungry and cranky all the time because I'm eating more and STILL LOSING. :flowerforyou:
  • karrieamandakeeps
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Muscle. I lift weights 3-4x a week, do cardio and eat 1700-2200 calories a day. I don't eat junk (except for the few indulgences around the holidays) and I rarely drink. I burn an average of 2300 calories a day, burn as much as 3000, and that will only continue to increase.

Definitely figure out your TDEE, set a slight deficit, and get sweaty!
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

I'm currently eating 1800 calories per day.
  • Mal76137
    Mal76137 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. Love all the info Thanks everyone
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    1. They know what their actual TDEE is through experience or prediction formulas.
    2. They do some form of regular exercise such as cardio, strength-training, or both which raises TDEE.
    3. They understand there is a limit to how much fat mass that can be oxidized in one day thus choose a suitable deficit.
    4. They eat the maximum amount of calories for steady fat loss instead of eating the minimum.

what is TDEE?

Total Daily Energy Expenditure. In other words, the total amount of calories you burn in an average day (eating, sleeping, working, workout out, running errands, etc). If you find this number and eat this same amount of calories you will neither lose, nor gain weight, simply maintain. My TDEE is around 1740ish currently, so I could eat that many calories daily and never gain or lose weight. If I want to lose weight, I drop the amount I eat down by 10 to 15 to 20%, depending on how fast I want to lose weight. Its a real eye opener once you figure out these numbers and how you don't have to starve yourself to lose weight.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I have a question about how to figure my tdee. What activity level should I enter? I am a stay at home mom so I think I am sedentary other than when I workout. Most days I am sitting doing school with my kids (we homeschool). I do the normal chores of housework, but those aren't strenuous. I workout about 6 days a week for 40-60 minutes. Burning anywhere from 300-600 calories per HRM. What I have done is put my activity level in as sedentary and then I try to eat back most of my exercise calories. So, right now I eat 1600 calories + exercise calories. I am 5'6" and 197 lbs. If I enter my activity as working out 3-5 hours per week the calculator tells me I can eat about 2000. Is that the same as what I am doing now?

It is best to underestimate your activity level, so I would definitely put sedentary down at first. The thing with figuring out your TDEE, though, is it calculates in your exercise calories already, so don't eat those back. If you find you are losing weight too quickly and/or are hungry all the time still, you may need to bump up your activity multiplier.
  • m1oscar
    m1oscar Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Very interesting! I certainly want to eat more and lose weight...the 1200 calories MFP set me at is killing me. I run and exercise a good deal (minimum 5x per week and often long runs). Most days I end up eating under 1200 a tiny bit and almost never eat all of the earned exercise calories. The scooby calculator says I should be eating 1809 calories per day. This is definitely scary! I will read up a bit more and educate myself on this and then plan to change my settings! I am trying to lose around 10-12# as a reasonable goal but if I can gain more muscle and get lower than that, eat more calories and sustain it I would be in heaven! I have always found that when I get to a particular weight (about 10# less than where I am now)- I can never stay there because I suddenly get consistently much hungrier. Thank you guys for answering my question that I had in my mind but had not yet asked!
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    How are you losing weight eating 1700 to 2100 cals a day? I mean not that I'm jealous or anything:sad:

You can too!! Most women, who are able to eat that amount, exercise and burn calories, so we need to eat more, your body needs it. I'm a petite woman, 5'2.5", and since joining this site, I have lost about 1 lb a week, and I average 1400-1900 cal a day, but I also work out about 4 days a week doing Zumba, and can burn up 500 cal per workout. MFP set me at 1350, and that is if I DON'T work out, but since I do, I need those calories that I burned.

I'm so happy I finally understand that I need to make sure I burn more than I eat, its that simple. My diary is open, and you will see that even though my diet was not the greatest on some days last week, I still lost weight. My body used more than I took in.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833500-what-do-i-do-common-sense-cliff-notes <~ explained in regular chick terminology
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    the more i exercise the more i can eat. if you increase exercise and don't eat enough you may be losing muscle
This discussion has been closed.