Would really like some high protein lunch ideas please!

Options
lauren3101
lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
I had a lunch very high in protein today compared to what I normally eat, and you lot don't lie - I am still full. Normally I'd be chewing on my keyboard by now or ramming an entire packet of biscuits in my face while I impatiently wait for dinner to cook.

Any ideas would be appreciated - I can't live on chicken salad for lunch. :smile:

Replies

• sara4159
    sara4159 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I usually make a big salad and put 2 hard boiled egg whites, 1 hard boiled yolk, 1/2 an avacado, 2 servings of sliced turkey, and 1 TBS sunflower seeds. It's about 300 cal, 25 protein.

I'd love to hear other ideas as well.
  • bandedsandi
    bandedsandi Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hummus is high in protein and if you make it yourself, low in fat. Combine that with canned tuna in water, and you have a delish high protein meal!
  • kabel4892
    kabel4892 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    bump
  • eclecticdeb
    eclecticdeb Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    bump
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Not really sure how much protein you are looking for.

I make a salad with 1.5 cup baby spinach, 1/8 cup red onions, 1/2 cup red bell peppers, 1 cup cucumbers, 3 oz broccoli, 1 extra large hard boiled egg, and 1/4 cup garbanzo beans (chick peas). It has 19 grams of protein and keeps me full for hours.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I mostly do various types of chicken and tuna salads. Substitute high fat/sugar dressings for balsamic vinegar or vinaigrette based ones, use raw spinach instead of iceburg, throw in cherry tomatoes (oh the glorious juiciness!) and whatever other raw veggies you like, and enjoy :-)
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Canned tuna in water is always a good bet, a litle mayo on a wheat wrap or on salad is good.

Sometimes I make a big pot of turkey chili on the weekend and eat that for something filling and warm.
  • DeMayr
    DeMayr Posts: 67
    Options
    what did you eat that was very high in protein?
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ForeverChasingTheSunsets
    Options
    Beans! Kidney Beans, black beans, lentils... all high protein... They fill me to no end. A low fat Cottage cheese added to a salad instead of dressing helps too.
  • ForeverChasingTheSunsets
    Options
    Thanks for that link JezzD1!
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lmkaks
    lmkaks Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I buy the pack of three romaine hearts from the store (usually gets me six salads, I make one for my husband as well). I cook up a few chicken breasts and chop them up. Add scallion, cherry tomatoes and reduced fat feta.

To cut down on sodium (becuase there is quite a bit in the cheese) I make my own dressing. It is really easy (and I have a small salad dressing carafe I keep it in all week). I just throw all ingredients in a jar and it keeps for up to two weeks in the fridge. I use 2 TBS of the dressing for 99 calories.

2 teaspoons chopped garlic
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1/4 cup wine vinegar (red or white)
    1 cup extra virgin olive oil

Honestly, this salad is SO good that I never, ever get tired of it.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I eat a comparatively large amount of protein every day but I usually just make extra high protein dinner and bring that for lunch the next day.

For instance, today I had chicken stew which I made yesterday. I am planning on making sweet potato shepherd's pie (a serving has 34g protein) this weekend and use that for lunches next week.

If I'm in a rush and I didn't pre-cook, I grab a couple of cans of sardines in spicy tomato sauce (I like Goya's) and eat those on wholegrain crackers (40g of protein in two cans for about 350 cals not to mention plenty of good Omega 3's).
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Ellyabell
    Ellyabell Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    bump
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I pan sear (sp?) a chicken breast while getting ready for work in the morning; throw in some veggies & voila!

I also eat alot of tuna in water on wheat thins. Add some carrots with dressing.

I recently have taken a chunk of turkey breast & cut into cubes. Perfect cold or warm with veggie of choice.
  • dtf88
    dtf88 Posts: 53
    Options
    Marinated baked chicken breast with rice or potatoes + frozen veggies is usually what I have
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    Hummus is high in protein and if you make it yourself, low in fat. Combine that with canned tuna in water, and you have a delish high protein meal!

That is my go to lunch... but I normally buy the hummas and change up the flavors each week. It is texturaly not the most exciting lunch but on some multi-grain bread it is easy to pack for work along with a Greek yogurt. Sometimes I will add spinach or some other green to it too.