Hungry

Options

Replies

• lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I had PB on my corn thin at break.
    Need to get some almonds or pistachios.

Looked up peanuts last night. Hubby and i were HORRIFIED at how much you get for the huge amount of calories.

Peanuts are full of unsaturated fats and a good protein source. Any nut is going to be chock full o calories fat and protein. Almonds have the most protein, but are also going to pack around 170 calories per serving. it's about moderation.

On to my real advice. Start increasing your protein intake. Seemed to help me with the hungry when I was still trying to eat at a serious deficit.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Additionally, the person who said they find low carb helpful and to eat nuts is probably confused about what satiates them. it's the high fat and protein that makes you feel full, not the low carb. lol. As in, high protein and carb would probably help, too.
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Your rant is what I like to call a hangry rant. Hungry+angry=hangry. When I get cranky with my fiance, he knows I must be hungry and tells me to eat something (usually that is the case - sometimes it's just because he didn't take out the trash when I asked three times). Making sure you get a balance of healthy carbs and protein will help prevent you from being hangry.

I snack on apples, clemetines, pears, carrots, celery, and/or cucumbers with string cheese, cottage cheese, hummus, peanut butter, almonds, or pistachios. Lots and lots and lots of veggies can fill you up and be super low cal. A salad with beans or tuna for lunch, a bag of steamed veggies and a piece of fish for dinner, a gigantic pot of vegetable soup to have for lunches throughout the week, etc.
  • Matilda444WECHANGED
    Options
    Are you hungry folks paying attention to the nutrient content of your calories?

Protein and Fiber will keep you satisfied longer than carbohydrates will.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Perhaps eating your exercise calories would be a good idea.

I've thought about that but scared of being in a deficit. If something happens that I don't get to the gym today...

if you don't get to the gym today? you don't. it's one day. living healthier should make you happier -- not scared. that's a pretty miserable way to live.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I was that way until I got off the 1200 train - 1200 calories just isn't enough for me, and probably for most women. I bet your BMR is higher than that, so you should definitely eat more if you're not in a coma, and exercising as well. :smile:

Run your numbers through the tools in this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Check out the info there and try resetting your numbers. Food is fuel! I eat 1700 - 2000 calories a day and am losing fat and inches consistently - dropped a full pants size recently.

Being hungry sucks - fueling the body well and having enough energy for daily life and awesome workouts is fabulous. Seeing the inches come off is fabulous too.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    This is just me venting.

11:30 so hungry...have been for the last hour. Lunch isn't until 12:45

had a snack at 9:45

I'm drinking lemon water.

I have been on so many "eating plans" over the years that I KNOW all the theory. Doesn't stop me from being hungry...

And yet...ever have one of those days that you feel soooo gross in your own body you just want to vomit? I am so disgusted with myself and my clothes.

I'm scared that even though I am VERY carefully counting calories...to being almost obsessive, that I am some how screwing up and UNDER counting my caloric intake thereby inhibiting weight loss.

I'm scared that even though I have counted every calorie, if I'm full I MUST have done SOMETHING wrong.

Thank you for listening

Are you eating sugar and simple carbs? They just feed appetite because they raise blood sugar and insulin and ghrelin (the "hunger hormone"). When ghrelin is high leptin is low (leptin is the "satisfaction" hormone that tells you that you are not hungry and to quit eating) Lack of sleep raises ghrelin levels too so try to keep regular bedtime hours (you need at least one hour of quality sleep before midnight in order to increase levels of human growth hormone. Human growth hormone (yes you need it all your life, even though children obviously have the largest amount) secreted during the early hours of sleep helps fight the hormone battles. Lack of sleep also increases cortisol levels and that contributes to the deposition of fat on the belly.

Adiponectin (the "fat-burning" hormone) is increased when you challenge your body with exercise (at least, 20 minutes three times a week) but, interestingly, adiponectin levels tend to stay on the low side, if you aren't getting enough magnesium in your diet. So eat your spinach--a rich source of magnesium, and take Epsom salts baths (Epsom salts are pure magnesium sulphate that you absorb right through your skin if you are deficient--most of us are deficient). Aim for two 15-minute baths per week.

Hope this helps. :smile:
  • betsij
    betsij Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'm scared that even though I have counted every calorie, if I'm full I MUST have done SOMETHING wrong.

This is so ME! I feel like if I feel full that I have done something wrong! Ugh very frustrating.
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Have some water. I feel this way when my stomach is shrinking. Eat lunch when you can but start by drinking some tea or coffee. It helps and you will feel lots better. Also, don't abscess about your calories. You aren't 130 pounds trying to lose 10 more to goal. You can do this.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    logging my food makes me obsess too much about it so I stopped logging. Maybe that is what is happening to you too. As long as you are making healthy choices, eating moderately and exercising, you are doing right by your body. It will reward you!!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    It is natural to be hungry when on a calorie deficit. This is especially true if you are working an office job and you have to "sit there and have an opportunity to think about your hunger"... As far as a fear of "missing it and under counting your calories" I think most of us have been there.... Don't sweat it too bad. Unfortunately, because you are at work, you cannot do one thing I suggest in situations like that... and that is to get up and move around a bit... By becoming more active, sometimes it helps to a) take our mind off our hunger -- unless we are under where we should be and lack the energy to move about at which point we really should eat something and B) it seems to actually stimulate us to the point to where we simply are not that hungry. As far as when you are at work and hungry, try to pack some low calorie things such as celery sticks or even small snack bars... something to keep you going. Of course, unfortunately, there are times when we honestly just have to tough through those moments. Whatever you do though, try to stay out of the staff vending area... That is usually laden with tons of empty calories that fill no need for your body. The key I find is that the calorie content of whatever I eat really needs to give me a nutritional exchange that meets some need my body has... Empty calories do us no good. Best wishes on attaining your goals.
  • ChristinaR720
    Options
    What time do you eat breakfast? If you're having difficulties with a 3-hour break between snacks/meals, then it might be helpful to restructure your snack times so you're eating something every 2 hours. If you are nervous about your caloric intake, plan your meals and snacks for the day ahead of time and allow for some wiggle room in the event that you are more hungry that day and need an extra snack. As other posters have mentioned, make sure you are choosing protein-rich snacks and meals and drink lots of water throughout the day.

Too many people here seem to fear being full, when they should actually be more concerned about why they're feeling hungry. I can get very full when eating a healthy salad. If you're hungry, eat something. Make healthy choices. I make horrible choices and eat way too quickly when I let myself get overly hungry, so I don't let myself get to that point.

Don't fear the food. Embrace it!
  • DuhhMuffin
    Options
    I'm terrified of feeling full. I'm irrationally afraid that if I eat one wrong thing, I'll balloon up again overnight or something.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I get the same way, especially if I'm doing all the "right" things as I understand but not losing weight. My mind goes crazy, like I've forgotten to count all my calories or I ate during a black-out (which I NEVER have) or something.

I find that having whole grains with a protein and healthy fat keep me full longer. A serving of oatmeal with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter stirred in will satisfy me for hours whereas I'm hungry again in an hour if I have cold cereal with milk.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I'm terrified of feeling full. I'm irrationally afraid that if I eat one wrong thing, I'll balloon up again overnight or something.

What bugs me is that in trying to eat back my exercise calories on my heavy workout days (like today) I really don't want that much food--so I end up forcing myself to eat. I'm fearful that my metabolism will slow down if I don't force myself to eat more than I want. :frown: Nourishing food (I always avoid the empty calories of added sugar and starch) is very filling. :tongue:
  • suzy1220
    suzy1220 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I feel like when I'm 'dieting' if I feel full I must not be losing weight so the norm is to feel hungry all of the time, which only leads to binges. I need to get over the guilt of being full!
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, you really should be eating more.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Except in the evening. Ghrelin (the "hunger hormone") increases the release of human growth hormone. So it is good to be hungry after 7 p.m. as you want to get as much HGH as you can get (for LOTS of reasons). That is why you should consume most or all of your calories before 7 or 8. If you are hungry in the evening, it is good to just go to bed (unless you are so hungry you can't sleep--then a light snack is in order--100 calories of protein and fat. Peanut butter and celery are ideal.) :smile:
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

Except in the evening. Ghrelin (the "hunger hormone") increases the release of human growth hormone. So it is good to be hungry after 7 p.m. as you want to get as much HGH as you can get (for LOTS of reasons). That is why you should consume most or all of your calories before 7 or 8. If you are hungry in the evening, it is good to just go to bed (unless you are so hungry you can't sleep--then a light snack is in order--100 calories of protein and fat. Peanut butter and celery are ideal.) :smile:

no. just ... no.

no.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

no. just ... no.

no.

You are saying that what I posted is not true? Please elucidate?