Hungry

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    for pretty much everyone, meal timing is irrelevant.

Not true---hormones wax and wane and when you eat is important. It is a very bad idea--for many reasons, bio-chemically--to eat a lot and go to bed with a full stomach.

don't go to bed until 2 a.m. I eat my lunch at about 7. guess I need to start going to bed without dinner. bummer.

I was just talking about what is optimal. I'm sure you have seen the statistics on those who work nights in terms of obesity and diabetes. Hormones are VERY relevant to maximum fat burn and energy levels. Sorry.

Causation v correlation seems to escape you a lot.

Insulting others does NOT increase your credibility.

lolz
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Well, the circadian control is important. The suprachiasmatic nucleus is located just above the the optic chiasm. This wake up signal travels from your retina to your SNC over dedicated neural channels in the optic-nerve bundle, but it does bypass the cortex.

editing to say I'm not going any further, useless.

okay, I'll finish. On arrival at the SCN this signal initiates the splitting of protein complexes in the cells of the nucleus...the sun sets , protein complexes are reconstituted during the dark period and ready to split at the next burst of light. The changes of concentrations of the associated and dissociated proteins in the SCN over the course of the day are coupled with hundreds of other aspects of our physiology, activating and deactivating them once every 24 hours. It's this nucleus in the hypothalamus that is the pacemaker for the endocrine system.

I'm going with Mel Robin on this one. :)
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Let's face facts---Fact-most of us fat people never know what it's like to be "truly hungry". Don't beat yourself up over it, don't starvation diet yourself into giving up either. Possibly you are "hungering" for something that food has always been the answer for. After 5 months I believe that I finally recognize when I am truly hungry. I feel amazing. Please allow yourself some wiggle room with your diet for the first couple of weeks...then make a good plan to get on track. Eliminate unnecessary fats and no nutrient calories. For me it was eliminating calories in my fluids coffee with cream was replaced with unsweetened hot or iced tea. Two cups of coffee is my non-negotiable daily allowance. I filled my daily calorie allotment with whole grains, real fruit, lowfat or fat free dairy, oatmeal, lean meats,oatmeal, eggs and lots of vegetables, and limited carbs. I took the first three weeks to "just document" everything I ate to see what I needed to change---that was an eye-opener which allowed me to make a program for myself that I can comfortably live with the rest of my life. Keep at it and you'll find your sweet spot too! :)
  • fysty75
    fysty75 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Too funny!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, you really should be eating more.

Except in the evening. Ghrelin (the "hunger hormone") increases the release of human growth hormone. So it is good to be hungry after 7 p.m. as you want to get as much HGH as you can get (for LOTS of reasons). That is why you should consume most or all of your calories before 7 or 8. If you are hungry in the evening, it is good to just go to bed (unless you are so hungry you can't sleep--then a light snack is in order--100 calories of protein and fat. Peanut butter and celery are ideal.) :smile:

This is full of wrong.

No--it is not. From the Wiki article on Ghrelin: "Ghrelin levels increase before meals and decrease after meals....Ghrelin is a potent stimulator of growth hormone from the anterior pituitary gland." And you were saying? (Please don't trash this based on the fact that it comes from Wikipedia--the expert who wrote the article is likely more knowledgeable than you are on the subject.)

Except it doesn't mention anything about the timing of those meals. So, your argument is still not entirely valid.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    (for those wondering ... no. calories can't tell time.)

Calories can't but your body sure can. Circadian rhythm is just one of the rhythms of life---we can either fight those rhythms (and suffer less than optimal performance of our bodies---or worse) or harmonize with them and benefit our health.

Rhythm+Of+Life+009.jpg

So much win!!
  • mmapags
    Options

Not true---hormones wax and wane and when you eat is important. It is a very bad idea--for many reasons, bio-chemically--to eat a lot and go to bed with a full stomach.

don't go to bed until 2 a.m. I eat my lunch at about 7. guess I need to start going to bed without dinner. bummer.

I was just talking about what is optimal. I'm sure you have seen the statistics on those who work nights in terms of obesity and diabetes. Hormones are VERY relevant to maximum fat burn and energy levels. Sorry.

And spouting half baked Pseudo- science does NOT increase yours.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

Except in the evening. Ghrelin (the "hunger hormone") increases the release of human growth hormone. So it is good to be hungry after 7 p.m. as you want to get as much HGH as you can get (for LOTS of reasons). That is why you should consume most or all of your calories before 7 or 8. If you are hungry in the evening, it is good to just go to bed (unless you are so hungry you can't sleep--then a light snack is in order--100 calories of protein and fat. Peanut butter and celery are ideal.) :smile:

This is full of wrong.

No--it is not. From the Wiki article on Ghrelin: "Ghrelin levels increase before meals and decrease after meals....Ghrelin is a potent stimulator of growth hormone from the anterior pituitary gland." And you were saying? (Please don't trash this based on the fact that it comes from Wikipedia--the expert who wrote the article is likely more knowledgeable than you are on the subject.)

Except it doesn't mention anything about the timing of those meals. So, your argument is still not entirely valid.

Human growth hormone is secreted almost exclusively at night during sleep---figure it out.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

What!? Do you have some kind of alert system that gets your gang to show up to insult people? Pseudo-science? :laugh: That's what they said to Joseph Lister when he tried to get Hungarian surgeons to wash their hands from patient to patient.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

This is full of wrong.

Human growth hormone is secreted almost exclusively at night during sleep---figure it out.

So it is not released due to exercise then? Or before you eat due to ghrelin as you were discussing above?
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options

No--it is not. From the Wiki article on Ghrelin:

I'd be weary on anything "wiki"
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

This is full of wrong.

So it is not released due to exercise then? Or before you eat due to ghrelin as you were discussing above?

Yes, exercise does stimulate its production but:

"Somatotropic cells in the anterior pituitary gland then synthesize and secrete GH in a pulsatile manner, in response to these stimuli by the hypothalamus. The largest and most predictable of these GH peaks occurs about an hour after onset of sleep with plasma levels of 13 to 72 ng/mL.[10] Otherwise there is wide variation between days and individuals. Nearly fifty percent of GH secretion occurs during the third and fourth NREM sleep stages.[11] Surges of secretion during the day occur at 3- to 5-hour intervals.[2] The plasma concentration of GH during these peaks may range from 5 to even 45 ng/mL.[12] Between the peaks, basal GH levels are low, usually less than 5 ng/mL for most of the day and night.[10] Additional analysis of the pulsatile profile of GH described in all cases less than 1 ng/ml for basal levels while maximum peaks were situated around 10-20 ng/mL.[13][14]

A number of factors are known to affect GH secretion, such as age, gender, diet, exercise, stress, AND OTHER HORMONES.[2] Young adolescents secrete GH at the rate of about 700 μg/day, while healthy adults secrete GH at the rate of about 400 μg/day.[15]

"...and other hormones." (emphasis mine)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

"Somatotropic cells in the anterior pituitary gland then synthesize and secrete GH in a pulsatile manner, in response to these stimuli by the hypothalamus. The largest and most predictable of these GH peaks occurs about an hour after onset of sleep with plasma levels of 13 to 72 ng/mL.[10] Otherwise there is wide variation between days and individuals. Nearly fifty percent of GH secretion occurs during the third and fourth NREM sleep stages.[11] Surges of secretion during the day occur at 3- to 5-hour intervals.[2] The plasma concentration of GH during these peaks may range from 5 to even 45 ng/mL.[12] Between the peaks, basal GH levels are low, usually less than 5 ng/mL for most of the day and night.[10] Additional analysis of the pulsatile profile of GH described in all cases less than 1 ng/ml for basal levels while maximum peaks were situated around 10-20 ng/mL.[13][14]

A number of factors are known to affect GH secretion, such as age, gender, diet, exercise, stress, AND OTHER HORMONES.[2] Young adolescents secrete GH at the rate of about 700 μg/day, while healthy adults secrete GH at the rate of about 400 μg/day.[15]

So, it is not almost exclusively at night as you quoted. Also, how does insulin play into this?

Edited to take off some of the infini-quotes
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

No--it is not. From the Wiki article on Ghrelin:

I'd be weary on anything "wiki"

Nonsense---many of the articles are written by leading experts and they are always open to correction. When there is no political axe to grind, they can be quite accurate.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Grabbing some popcorn to watch the geekfest erupt.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Yes---but, as you can see, the greatest amount is secreted during sleep.

So, it is not almost exclusively at night as you quoted. Also, how does insulin play into this? Why are you stressing 'other hormones' out of interest?

The majority of it, in most people, (particularly children) is released at night, during sleep. I stressed "other hormones" because there are a number of hormones that affect its release--ghrelin is just one of them. Insulin suppresses HGH.

p.s. Going to bed so I can get my HGH. :tongue:
  • mmapags
    Options

What!? Do you have some kind of alert system that gets your gang to show up to insult people? Pseudo-science? :laugh:

Which gang is that? A little paraniod are we? Maybe a nice sammich or a big bowl of ice cream before bed will help. :wink: Lot's of IGF in the ice cream if you go full fat!

And you are no Lister.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    This is just me venting.

11:30 so hungry...have been for the last hour. Lunch isn't until 12:45

had a snack at 9:45

I'm drinking lemon water.

I have been on so many "eating plans" over the years that I KNOW all the theory. Doesn't stop me from being hungry...

And yet...ever have one of those days that you feel soooo gross in your own body you just want to vomit? I am so disgusted with myself and my clothes.

I'm scared that even though I am VERY carefully counting calories...to being almost obsessive, that I am some how screwing up and UNDER counting my caloric intake thereby inhibiting weight loss.

I'm scared that even though I have counted every calorie, if I'm full I MUST have done SOMETHING wrong.

Thank you for listening

Your net calories are low for today, so eat a little more and budget in a little more food early in the day if you need to. I would re-evaluate your weight loss goals and trim it down to 1/2 or 1 lb loss per week to give you some more wiggle room with your food as well.

As for the body image issues, I think most of us here completely understand that feeling of disgust at some point along the way. This is something I struggle with often, but it has improved with continued success. Try not to let it get to you and just keep working toward your goals and keeping yourself busy.
  • brajorie
    brajorie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Eat when you're hungry, listen to your body, just make sure that you eat the right things. I always bring extra's to work and leave them at my desk: mixed nuts, vega protein powder or protein bars, those little tins of falvored tuna and even sometimes fruit. A lot of the time when you're hungry you just need to be distracted, grab a co-worker and go for a walk or just eat your lunch a bit early. If you cave by eating something that may put you over your calorie count, just make sure you can justify it by exercising later that day.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options

Yes---but, as you can see, the greatest amount is secreted during sleep.

So, it is not almost exclusively at night as you quoted. Also, how does insulin play into this? Why are you stressing 'other hormones' out of interest?

The majority of it, in most people, (particularly children) is released at night, during sleep. I stressed "other hormones" because there are a number of hormones that affect its release--ghrelin is just one of them. Insulin suppresses HGH.

p.s. Going to bed so I can get my HGH. :tongue:

from what I know, growth hormone is almost zero during the day and maximizes during sleep stage 3. The quality of your sleep is much more important than the quantity. :)