Starvation mode?

Options

Replies

• Theamers0528
    Options
    Starvation mode does not exists at all and I won't argue... I just post these science references that are held as fact and are published in say British journal of nutrition
    Zauner c schneeweiss b kranz a madl c Roth e Schneider b lenz k resting energy expenditure in short term starvation is increased as a result of an increase in serum norepinephrine
    Webber j macdonald ia the cardiovascular metabolic and hormonal changes accompanying acute starvation in men and women. BRITISH JOURNAL OF NUTRITION 1994 71; 437-447

Also your muscles won't fall off because you don't eat 6 meals a day

Norreland h nair ks Jorgensen Jo Christian js moller n diabetes the protein retaining effects of growth hormone during fasting involve inhibition of muscle protein breakdown. 2001 jan; 50 (1): 96-104

Larsen ae, tunstall rj, Carey ka, Nicholas g, kambador r, Crowe tc Cameron-smith d. Actions of short term fasting on human skeletal muscle myotonic and astrogenic gene expression. Ann nutr Metab 2006; 50(5) 476-81. EPub 2006 aug 24

Copy and paste any of the references and research them and that's science and research proof the starvation mode doesn't exist. Not eating for periods of time increases health and honestly eating less then 1200 calories a day only risks malnutrition.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode does not exists at all and I won't argue... I just post these science references that are held as fact and are published in say British journal of nutrition
    Zauner c schneeweiss b kranz a madl c Roth e Schneider b lenz k resting energy expenditure in short term starvation is increased as a result of an increase in serum norepinephrine
    Webber j macdonald ia the cardiovascular metabolic and hormonal changes accompanying acute starvation in men and women. BRITISH JOURNAL OF NUTRITION 1994 71; 437-447

Also your muscles won't fall off because you don't eat 6 meals a day

Norreland h nair ks Jorgensen Jo Christian js moller n diabetes the protein retaining effects of growth hormone during fasting involve inhibition of muscle protein breakdown. 2001 jan; 50 (1): 96-104

Larsen ae, tunstall rj, Carey ka, Nicholas g, kambador r, Crowe tc Cameron-smith d. Actions of short term fasting on human skeletal muscle myotonic and astrogenic gene expression. Ann nutr Metab 2006; 50(5) 476-81. EPub 2006 aug 24

Copy and paste any of the references and research them and that's science and research proof the starvation mode doesn't exist. Not eating for periods of time increases health and honestly eating less then 1200 calories a day only risks malnutrition.

The first article cites "it has long been known that prolonged under nutrition and fasting leads to a reduction in resting metabolic rate." How does this article refute that? It does not. It does show a transient increase in RMR during fasting which is reversed in 36 to 72 hrs.

Your references do not refute the fact that long term under-nutrition results in RMR reduction.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

The most muscular animals in the world are herbivores, should we stop buying animal sources of protein now? We are hunters, we go looking for food when we're hungry. That's normal, it doesn't mean we're able to find food. When we can't our survival instincts picked up, the hormones i listed above.

actually YES! Vegan diets are actually much healthier than diets high in animal fats - check out The China Study

I would really suggest not using The China Study as the basis for 'proving' anything - it was an incredibly flawed study, a fact that has been proven many times.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Eating that amount of calories in one sitting when not eating anything else throughout the day WILL store it as fat. It's science. It will also create a slippery slope with binge eating. I have been guilty of it myself; wouldn't eat all day, just drink coffee, small lunch (of doritos..) and then when dinner came around I would be craving carbs wrapped in carbs with a carb filling topped with cheese and bacon. It's tough to break bad habits like that, but well worth the effort.

1. What amount of calories? 2. What science?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    My uncomplicated advice is to eat a high protein diet and set a timer on your phone or computer to go of every 3 hours of wake time to remind you to eat. This will allow you to eat 5-6 times a day boosting your metabolism. These meals should be small amounts it is really 3 meals and 2-3 snacks. for me quick and easy is best. handful of almonds, or a Greek yogurt, or even beef jerky for a something savory. String cheese is good too. Anyway Just my opinion.

The only relevance intra day meal frequency has to your metabolism is if the timing impacts your energy levels in the aggregate throughout the day - which is a very personal and individual thing. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    There are so many sides to this, I don't think one can make that huge generalization. First, I think it depends on how over weight the person is. Then, you have to see if they have existing health conditions or have it in their genes for certain types of conditions. Then, you have to figure out if the conditions are based on their weight or if they'd have them if they were a fit, healthy weight. And so on...

I believe that the single biggest factor in most obese people is their weight. I bet a lot of people could have normal tests if they just got down to a normal weight. No matter what they ate to do it.

Is a diet of 2 big macs a day healthy, satiating, or macro friendly? No. If that's all you ate and you lost 75 pounds, and got off all your medications and your blood work came back normal, is that what you mean by healthy? Or is it who can run 5 miles without getting winded, is that what is healthy? Is a person who has diabetes but controls it with medication, diet and exercise unhealthy even though they are at a normal weight?

Who is healthier? The person at a normal weight with diabetes who eats right or the person who ate 2 big macs a day, lost 75 pounds and has all normal blood work?

*I understand this is an extreme example, but I just want to point out all the variables that come into play. The biggest question would be "What equals healthy?"

I appreciate the example, but someone eating two big macs a day won't GET clean blood work. Their cholesterol levels will be high even if they're skinny. Heart attacks can happen in thin people too. And as for the diabetic, there are some incredibly healthy diabetics, and regardless of their condition yes I'd consider a diabetic athlete healthy

I do think there is a big difference between the typical person reaching a point where they're happy (maintenance) and just coasting from there - and a person who isn't looking to ever maintain, but constantly improve. There's nothing wrong with either, but personally I think the more elite you're looking to go, the more meticulous you have to be about your food.

If you're just looking to lose weight, get off some meds, etc, then things like IF can absolutely do that for you.

MY question is whether IF can ever get you to a higher level of health/fitness. To be brutally honest, I've never seen someone on here or elsewhere who does IF and is ripped/chiseled/an athlete (this is the part where someone enlightens me!)

There is an IF group on here - and yes they are some ripped/chiselled athletes in there.

As for the health benefits, here's another opiece on the BBC Horizon program that seems to have gotten overlooked previously

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/9480451/The-52-diet-can-it-help-you-lose-weight-and-live-longer.html
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    ETA: Does the fact that I'm "genetically lucky" make me more healthy then someone of lower weight with these problems?

absolutely! i mean, it's unfortunate, but some people are more genetically per-disposed to being healthy than others - but then again, everyone has something.

i'm incredibly "healthy" but I have LPR (laryngopharyngeal reflux) which is basically a form of acid reflux that isn't treatable by any drugs that have been invented as of yet. It's pretty awful being on the cutting edge of medical science!

So yes, everybody's got their issues, but that just means we all have to do things a little differently to get the results we want. Some have to work harder than others, and that's a bummer, but it's life.

i guess what it comes down to for me is this: I want to physically perform at the highest level i possibly can, and thus i need a lot of food, so i need to space it out a lot over the day. IF would not work at ALL for me, and I feel like for others with my goals it wouldn't work either.

If the goal is purely weight loss, I'll agree with y'all.

You seem very open by your posts to learn from others. Good stuff.

You are likely right that for someone with LPR, IF is likely not a good idea with large meals leading to reflux. However, IF and athletic goals are not as opposed as you might think. Several ripped and rocking people on my friend list practice IF. It isn't for me for a couple of reasons - mostly because MY mode of calorie control involves eating a lot over the day. I might IF one day, not now.

I do know at least 4 elite athletes that IF. One of them is classes 3rd best swimmer in his age group for Germany and regularly podiums in Europe. Another was the top rated cyclist (70+ age) in Cal. For several years. I am not an IF proponent, but I do see it work in some people. It works for them.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Ok so this is just me thinking out loud here. If I'm completely off base, you can let me know, but don't just yell at me - I'm honestly interested in learning more about this since it's such a popular diet plan these days.

I think people are drawn to IF because it's easier - and hear me out:

Eating healthy over many meals a day takes planning, work, and dedication. Eating at a deficit is harder if you space the meals out, because you'll be more likely to eat more than you should at any given meal. It's easier to slip if you give yourself multiple opportunities a day.

When someone does IF, they only ALLOW themselves one meal a day, so there's no danger (or less danger) in slipping. In that one meal they can go NUTS and eat 1500 calories. Obviously they'll be more than full after that. It's like... a crutch for a lack of discipline. (NOT A CRITICISM, just an observation, and again, if I'm wrong, lemme know)

HOWEVER - that's not to say it doesn't work, that's not to say it won't get you results. You'll totally lose weight because you've got a deficit! I just don't think it's SUSTAINABLE over the entirety of someone's life, because when you come OFF intermittent fasting, you won't have the tools and the discipline to go back to eating more often than once a day and keeping it healthy. Or are you IF folks never planning on coming off it?

I'm about to get flamed aren't I?

I would look at what IF is - it does not actually recommend 1 meal a day - I would suggest you do a bit more research as to what is actually suggested. Why would someone come off IF if it there natural eating habit to eat in a window that happens not to include breakfast?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    ETA: Does the fact that I'm "genetically lucky" make me more healthy then someone of lower weight with these problems?

absolutely! i mean, it's unfortunate, but some people are more genetically per-disposed to being healthy than others - but then again, everyone has something.

i'm incredibly "healthy" but I have LPR (laryngopharyngeal reflux) which is basically a form of acid reflux that isn't treatable by any drugs that have been invented as of yet. It's pretty awful being on the cutting edge of medical science!

So yes, everybody's got their issues, but that just means we all have to do things a little differently to get the results we want. Some have to work harder than others, and that's a bummer, but it's life.

i guess what it comes down to for me is this: I want to physically perform at the highest level i possibly can, and thus i need a lot of food, so i need to space it out a lot over the day. IF would not work at ALL for me, and I feel like for others with my goals it wouldn't work either.

A LOT of people with extremely good physiques IF. Just because it does not work for you does not mean it does not work for others.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I have developed a bad habit of not eating regularly, which I have learned has put my body in 'starvation mode'. My normal routine consists of a couple cups of coffee (with sugar free creamer) in the morning, and then a big dinner at night. I will occasionally eat something mid day, but not regularly. I am generally active, but I don't work out (yet). I have tried in the past to eat on a schedule (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks) but I have ALWAYS gained weight, which of course makes me stop the routine! Are there any tips on how I can get into a routine of eating regularly, especially when I don't feel hungry, and still lose weight?

HI There,

Your body goes into starvation mode when you 1.) Don't eat enough calories and 2.) skip meals. It sounds like you are skipping breakfast and just having coffee in the morn. Try to eat at least every 3-4 hours. Ex.) Mini meals + 3 healthy snacks. This will help keep your metabolism steady and prevent it from slowing down. Keeping a food journal and planning your meals ahead of time also helps. Adding exercise will only help you lose weight faster. Make sure your calories are never below 1200 per day either. Keep in mind it takes a deficit of 3500 calories to lose 1 lb of body fat. I am a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist, so if you need more help you can friend me.

Oh Lawd

So much terrible information in this thread
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    oop - double post
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Back to the OP - in the minuscule chance she will come back and the even smaller chance she will wade her way through the thread.

At the end of the day....how much are you eating and how long have you been at that level? - that is relevant to your OP, not how many times you eat.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    There are so many sides to this, I don't think one can make that huge generalization. First, I think it depends on how over weight the person is. Then, you have to see if they have existing health conditions or have it in their genes for certain types of conditions. Then, you have to figure out if the conditions are based on their weight or if they'd have them if they were a fit, healthy weight. And so on...

I believe that the single biggest factor in most obese people is their weight. I bet a lot of people could have normal tests if they just got down to a normal weight. No matter what they ate to do it.

Is a diet of 2 big macs a day healthy, satiating, or macro friendly? No. If that's all you ate and you lost 75 pounds, and got off all your medications and your blood work came back normal, is that what you mean by healthy? Or is it who can run 5 miles without getting winded, is that what is healthy? Is a person who has diabetes but controls it with medication, diet and exercise unhealthy even though they are at a normal weight?

Who is healthier? The person at a normal weight with diabetes who eats right or the person who ate 2 big macs a day, lost 75 pounds and has all normal blood work?

*I understand this is an extreme example, but I just want to point out all the variables that come into play. The biggest question would be "What equals healthy?"

I appreciate the example, but someone eating two big macs a day won't GET clean blood work. Their cholesterol levels will be high even if they're skinny. Heart attacks can happen in thin people too. And as for the diabetic, there are some incredibly healthy diabetics, and regardless of their condition yes I'd consider a diabetic athlete healthy

I do think there is a big difference between the typical person reaching a point where they're happy (maintenance) and just coasting from there - and a person who isn't looking to ever maintain, but constantly improve. There's nothing wrong with either, but personally I think the more elite you're looking to go, the more meticulous you have to be about your food.

If you're just looking to lose weight, get off some meds, etc, then things like IF can absolutely do that for you.

MY question is whether IF can ever get you to a higher level of health/fitness. To be brutally honest, I've never seen someone on here or elsewhere who does IF and is ripped/chiseled/an athlete (this is the part where someone enlightens me!)

I ate complete junk food for about 6 weeks to prove to my mfp friends it's all about calories. I went to the doctors near the end of it, my blood work came back fine, he said it's healthy.
    look up the twinkie diet.

you realize a doctor will tell you having your bad cholesterol at 100 is "fine"

mine is something like 30

so...
  • CoachReddy
    Options

A LOT of people with extremely good physiques IF. Just because it does not work for you does not mean it does not work for others.

i'm pretty sure i said that very thing in other posts. lol
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    Options
    Sure it is.:huh:

so...
  • CoachReddy
    Options

so...

no seriously, my LDL is 37. just checked the write up from my last physical in June.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    Options

so...

no seriously, my LDL is 37.
    And you believe that's a good thing?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

so...

no seriously, my LDL is 37.
    And you believe that's a good thing?

um. yes?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

i'm pretty sure i said that very thing in other posts. lol

Ummmm - no. You made the comment "MY question is whether IF can ever get you to a higher level of health/fitness. To be brutally honest, I've never seen someone on here or elsewhere who does IF and is ripped/chiseled/an athlete (this is the part where someone enlightens me!)" towards the end of your posts last night - on the same page in fact that I had my response....lol