Question, what is/was your goal "timeframe"?

Options

Replies

• TheRightWeigh
    TheRightWeigh Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My timeframe? ASAP.

But seriously...I have a lot of weight to lose...a LOT...like 235 lbs preferably. I'm giving myself 2 years. I'll be 30 in two years and I want to enjoy the rest of life as unhindered as possible. So. I have a timeframe of 2 years that is ambitious, no doubt. However, I so would love if it happened faster!
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    X pounds by X date goals get me in big trouble. I can still do great, but I'm let down if I miss the goal. So I don't make those types of goals. My goal is to do my best each day and the weight will come off when the weight comes off.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Time frame goals drive me insane. I learned along the way that my body will not adhere to a schedule, and I'm happier for it. Instead, I focus on small goals like clean eating, dropping my mile time, ect.

I would like to get to maintenance calories within the next couple of months though. I'm slowly inching that direction.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Yeah - I gave myself 5 years to lose 100 pounds. I met it 5 months early.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    goals imply an end point.

i'm here to slay dragons.

forever.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I actually did have a very set in stone time frame. I started all this so I could pass the city firefighter exam. I had about a year's time to go from obese couch potato to the best shape of my life.

But what I learned was that hitting a certain number on the scale was absolutely meaningless compared to getting strong and fit.

And once that goal was achieved (100% score if I can brag a bit) it was time to set new goals.
  • nkturner11
    Options
    Initially, I didn't set a time frame, and instead set mini weight goals. I always work toward losing 5lb incriminates. Now that I'm only 7.4 lbs from my ultimate weight goal, I hope I'll hit it by my 30th birthday in March. More importantly, I want to tone and define my body, and if the scale doesn't match the number I have in my head, but I love what I see in the mirror, then I'll toss my scale out the window and be happy!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I never attached a time frame to it. I don't believe that's a healthy thing to do. I just let it happen at its own pace.
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I wanted to be at my goal weight by my 30th birthday, but, since that is in less than 2 weeks, I will not make it. :(

So, now, it is just to get it done this year.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    I have a number of goals set for myself, as that is my personal philosophy in other areas of life. For me, it's not about an "end date," but rather, guideposts. I have a number of small goals set over the course of my first year here on MFP. Beyond those goals, there will be others that will take their place.

I set new goals as I go, partly because I encounter new things I'd like to be able to do physically that never crossed my mind before. For instance, I had never heard of "toe to bar" before my HIIT class. Now, my first goal is to be able to do one, and beyond that, I'm sure I'll want to see how many I can do in a row without rest. No end dates in sight here, as the goals will keep evolving as my body does.

Goals are good to have as long as they motivate you to continue working hard. Also, I'd advise against making all of your goals depend on the scale. There are so many more successes to celebrate that have nothing to do with that number... don't sell them short. Progress comes in many forms.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Started Early October
    My first goal was 190 by new years, I was 190.2
    Current Goal 180 by Valentines
    175 for March 10th challenege I joined.
    165 / 20% body fat May 27th ( for my birthday :smile: )

Fitness wise:
    20% BF
    Run a 5k in August (run for your lives Zombie Run)
    Under 12 min Mile (Check Did 1/6/13) *big for me as I never broke 12 minutes when in high school
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I started in April at 219lbs with a goal in the 150's. I didn't have a timeframe in mind but knew that I at least wanted feel good about myself by Halloween (my birthday) and I did. As of right now I'm 160lbs and feel great. So i suppose it took me 8 months to lose roughly 60lbs and meet my goal.
  • CoCoRedRider
    CoCoRedRider Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I told myself I would try MFP for three months; I would log everything whether I saw progress or not. I was skeptical so I treated it like a science experiment. I got into the goal jeans within a month and broke out my box of skinny clothes within two months! Four and a half months later I'm still not at my goal weight but close enough and now have new goals focused on fitness and activities.
  • mtabh
    mtabh Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I didn't set a time frame for myself. I want to lose it slowly and steadily and keep it off. I have no idea how long that will take. My inital goal is to get down 30 pounds and my second goal is to drop another 20. I'm not sure how long the total 50 will take.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I picked 2 years to go from 313# to 140# thinking it was reasonable. Now that I have a year of weight loss/gain trends to play with and the last 20# are stubborn to lose, it will probably be 3 years.
  • libbymcbain
    libbymcbain Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I started in July at 199, am 171 now. My goal was to to not be obese but to be overweight (173) by the end of the year. I would like to hit the normal weight range for my height (144) by the end of 2013 and then reach my goal weight in 2014. It is currently 120, but I am open to re-evaluating when I get closer.
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I would love to get to goal weight by my anniversary (mid May). That's 20lbs of loss though and I'm small so I think that might be a stretch. Ultimately, I would like it gone by the end of the year, which I think is totally realistic.
  • kdz526
    kdz526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I started in Sept at 207ish and now am at 179. I don't really have a set end goal in mind..some where in the 130's probably, it will just depend on how i look and what i am happy with. My first short term goal was to get down to under 180 cause that was the lowest i got the last time i was working out (but not eatting healthy). Now that i have hit it and maintained it during the last few weeks of holidays, my next goal is under 170, cause that is the lowest i got after my second child was born and i got reallllly sick and went into the hospital and dropped a bunch of weight (then got put on prednisone and picked up a bunch plus some). My only timetable goal is to be under 160 (so that i am just overweight) before we go on our family vacation to Puerto Rico this summer to visit hubby's extended family that he has not seen in over 10 years. I figure 20lbs within 4.5 months is doable at the rate i have been going. I guess if i have a timetable, I would say I want to be at MY ideal weight (whatever that ends up being) by spring 2014, cause i have a 20 year high school reunion coming up, and I was at my highest weight (230) at the last one, so would be cool to be at my lowest weight at this next one.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    My plan is to reach my goal by the time I leave for San Diego in mid July.
  • MallorieGreiner
    MallorieGreiner Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'd like to drop 20 pounds of fat by September. Not sure what I'll weigh after the muscle...=)