Fake Activity Calories?

Options

Replies

• TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I think it's up to the individual to how they want to log their own calories.

For me, if I do it daily, I don't log it. If it's prolonged and occasional (mopping entire apartment, lifting furniture/moving out furniture to sweep and vacuum, shoveling snow, etc) then I'll log it. But I don't eat exercise calories anyway, so it doesn't matter either way.
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I've wondered this too. I personally don't log calories for cleaning or cooking. I used to log exercise calories but I don't even do that anymore. I note what I did but don't log it. I have friends who log cleaning, cooking, sex and they seem to be losing weight so maybe it works.

Also I'd imagine that since to sew or knit you are moving and using muscles to stay upright that it is burning some calories but I'm not sure if it'd be enough to burn, but if it does only burn 50 calories or so that's half a cup of juice or half an apple.
  • nc805397
    nc805397 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I only logged 'cleaning light. moderate effort', once. This was because I cleaned my room TOP to BOTTOM and it was a disaster and took me 8 hours straight (WITHOUT A BREAK). haha. Otherwise, small amounts of cleaning are not worth logging to me.
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what kinda cleaning and/or food preparation we are talking about. I have worn my HRM while doing some of this kind of stuff just to see how many calories one really does burn. Sweeping, mopping, and vacuuming burn about 60-70 calories for 20 minutes. Cutting vegetable and shredding meat burned a lot when I did it for 2 hours straight and my back was killing me.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why 'sex' isn't an option in the exercise log.
    Some people log it as "moving furniture"

Some call it 'walking the dog'.

Bet you look at your friend list in a whole new light now! :wink:
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why 'sex' isn't an option in the exercise log.
    Some people log it as "moving furniture"

Some call it 'walking the dog'.

Bet you look at your friend list in a whole new light now! :wink:

I heard people log it as wrestling. LOL
  • candlelady52
    candlelady52 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I go to physical therapy and they have me in a moving chair where Im swinging my body around side to side, round and round, back and forth...that should count as exericse because Im still moving my body for 20 minutes.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Overall Lesson: Stop worrying about what other people are doing when what they are doing really doesn't affect your life in any way. Whatever someone logs as exercise is THEIR business. Quit nit-picking on what you think exercise is or isn't and go enjoy life.

"Don't take life so seriously...you'll never get out alive" --Van Wilder

TheMoreYouKnow.gif
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't add that stuff. I only add things like running, doing a workout dvd, zumba class etc. Stuff that I would wear my HRM for.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I am on the lowest activity setting and back when I was trying to lose I didn't add things like cleaning or cooking to my calorie count. I really wanted to make my goal though. I wanted it more than I wanted to eat a few more calories. I think you should always underestimate your activity and overestimate your calories. Most of us have plenty of fuel for our muscles attached to our muscles.

And THIS is how you lose 100 pounds! Congrats on your success!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what kinda cleaning and/or food preparation we are talking about. I have worn my HRM while doing some of this kind of stuff just to see how many calories one really does burn. Sweeping, mopping, and vacuuming burn about 60-70 calories for 20 minutes. Cutting vegetable and shredding meat burned a lot when I did it for 2 hours straight and my back was killing me.

You realize that a HRM doesn't deduct your BMR (calories you would have burnt doing nothing) and that unless your HR is significantly elevated for an extended period of time that a HRM is not accurate? Wearing one to do housework would give false numbers unless you were doing your work at a steady jog.
  • i logged in sex once as a joke.
  • finshstrong
    finshstrong Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I"added" cooking today; and thought that is rediculous.. like I really burned ANY calories by making two bowls of soup and cutting up a pineapple???? really?? I try really hard not to eat my calories back anyway...

Now, grocery shopping at WalMart for my big family is defiately exercise! And I'll count cleaning - what the heck. Like I said I don't eat them back.

fake calories that are eaten... yeah that's a disservice to you.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I used to log it as walking the dog, until someone said, "wait, you don't have a dog". Lol

They used to have "sexual activity", but they took it out for some reason.

Since Im single and no prospects at the moment, it's a little embarrassing to log "walking the dog". Lol. I'll just keep it to myself. Poor little rover will just have to stay inside. Lol
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Are we there yet?

ad9927b3_tumblr_mdpmmaVY8u1r8cvzdo1_400_zps1eb3a181.gif
  • All4Norma
    All4Norma Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    if your profile is set to sedentary activity level then anything you do extra that takes even the slightest effort i would count. I've never counted sitting but if I'm doing a lot of it I'll count standing or housework, and I've lost a good amount of weight with that system. But really it's whatever you find works best for you! Good luck in your journey!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I used to log it as walking the dog, until someone said, "wait, you don't have a dog". Lol

They used to have "sexual activity", but they took it out for some reason.

Since Im single and no prospects at the moment, it's a little embarrassing to log "walking the dog". Lol. I'll just keep it to myself. Poor little rover will just have to stay inside. Lol

I think the fact your user name has the word stray in it makes this a bit more amusing for me..
  • lroxey
    lroxey Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Squats... man I didnt even think of that one. YES!!!! j/k
  • Karoger87
    Karoger87 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would log food preparation if I was doing things super fast, and cooking 4 things at one time. lol.
  • Reeny1_8
    Reeny1_8 Posts: 277
    Options
    Not enough to log. Might as well log breathing and rack up squats every time you go to the bathroom.

OMG this made me laugh so hard! :drinker: