Options

Replies

• DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    Options
    lol.
  • brittaney0625
    brittaney0625 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that quite a few people add "sitting, sewing" and other activities like "food preparation" into their activity log ad some people rack up a few hundred extra calories from "cleaning, light effort."

Honestly, do these activities, especially the sitting ones, actually rack up an extra burnt calories because to me it's sedentary.... If its worked for you and you're losing weight- please let me know!

Basically, any extra calories to add to my total would be welcomed!
    breathing I believe MFP already takes in all the stuff you do on a normal day when it gives you your calorie goal.
    Also, yeah you do burn calories just sitting... you do just breathing.. IF someone wants to log it.. then go for it but I would'nt be eating that back.
  • 6Petite
    6Petite Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Okay I'm new to this and thought I had to put in 1200 exercises calories a day to meet my intake of 1200 calories. This post made me realize that's not the case. Thanks.
  • Webbygail
    Webbygail Posts: 116
    Options
    To all the people talking about logging sex... I log mine as "2BackedBeast" ;]
  • SistahX
    SistahX Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Every activity counts and the value of those activities should be at the discretion of those that do it. If sewing burns calories I say "Bring it fabric! I got something for ya!"

Burn those calories however you can!

Burning while typing,
    Sistah X
  • GrannySparkle
    GrannySparkle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Can anyone tell me how many calories I burn from knitting?

I knit a lot.

I commended to a friend the other day..how many calories do I burn when crocheting...cause I crochet for hours and hours. LOL But I really don't call it exercise.
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen "sleeping" in the list of things you can add ... I know because I tried. lol

I have seen "cleaning" though, and I think if you do it for a long enough time, it burns calories. Probably not a lot, though.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Okay I'm new to this and thought I had to put in 1200 exercises calories a day to meet my intake of 1200 calories. This post made me realize that's not the case. Thanks.

Well that is really good news! Why not read this -
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

as it's a great intro to how to set your calorie goals.
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    I add cleaning and cooking when I am doing either for longer than, say, 30 minutes. My house has two flights of stairs so any substantial cleaning activity involves climbing and gets my blood moving pretty fast (especially laundry days with baskets being lugged between the basement and top floor). I also created a category for errands/shopping based on figures I found for driving, slow-ish walking and carrying light weights (like hauling around heaps of groceries or cases of cans etc. from Coscto). I did that because, like cooking or cleaning house for long periods, running intensive errands does burn calories (and can make you tired and hungry) even if they don't increase your fitness or get you to optimal heart rates. Those are separate concerns. They burn calories, and if I am doing any of them for a long enough period I log it in my expenditures.

It might be worth mentioning that I am very impatient with shopping, so I tend to zoom around in the stores to get back out as quickly as I can. Not a browser, me.

This holiday season I spent what seemed like a whole fricken week running around town on successful and unsuccessful shopping junkets, baking and cooking as if for multitudes, and catching up on housework. It interfered a lot with getting real exercise in, but it wore me the heck out, I can tell you. I logged the activity in my exercise diary. Over the holidays I burned a little less and ate a little more, and had the expected results; I stopped losing for a week or so, but I didn't gain any weight back. This is commensurate with my experience of logging a similar amount of calories burned/eaten doing my usual exercises.

I won't tell you that I didn't lose *fitness* over the holiday by displacing energy spent on exercise with energy spent on activities I tend to think of as drudgery. I'm working to get my momentum back, certainly, But there is no question that I was burning calories.

That said, I definitely don't log calories for a quick tidy-up or making a typical dinner, which I consider part of my chosen "light activity" category.
  • TheBoyEnigma
    TheBoyEnigma Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I don't add things which are just normal daily activity. it'd be deluding myself. I only add actual exercise and stuff that gets me tired out.
  • tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    Options
    This is a funny thread.
  • zazuofcloud10
    Options
    Well if you look at your daily goals, you will find that it takes into account regular daily activity. I personally don't log all the small things that I do every day, because they are alerady accounted for with that basic amount of calories burned. It's best to only log actual activity that you normally don't do. Otherwise it screws up the weight lose program that MFP has provided for us.
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I dont count anything except steps from my fitbit. That's it!
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I just add "actual" exercise... Usually, just the ones I've worn my HRM for, but I have started logging my lunch break walks because I have a vague idea of how much I'm burning. I figure any other activity just gives me a bit of wiggle room if I've under estimated my calories, or something.
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Yep, that was me today, I actually logged 90 minutes worth of food prep. was in the kitchen longer and did not sit down for close to 2 hours. But oh dear me, what on earth am I going to eat with the 4 calories I logged as having burned.......
  • Chibea
    Chibea Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Can I favorite you somehow??
  • GrannySparkle
    GrannySparkle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people are NOT logging housework and cooking. I do. Why? Until recently, I didn't do those things...AT ALL. Now that I have some weight off...I do them often. And since cleaning hasn't been done in so long when I do clean...I attack a room. My downstairs is now done and I am tackling the upstairs. But now that I have the downstairs done..unless I am vaccuming or sweeping and mopping, I don't count it. It all depends on what I am cooking as wether or not I count it. If I am mixing muffin batter by hand..yea I log it.

BUT I never eat those calories!!
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    The only non-exercise calories I will add is if I am doing a fun or work activity that is fairly strenuous, like shoveling snow, scraping ice off of cars, and I would probably add it in if I were helping someone move, but even on those I would aim a bit lower on the estimates. Food prep, walking A to B.. nah.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I am on the lowest activity setting and back when I was trying to lose I didn't add things like cleaning or cooking to my calorie count. I really wanted to make my goal though. I wanted it more than I wanted to eat a few more calories. I think you should always underestimate your activity and overestimate your calories. Most of us have plenty of fuel for our muscles attached to our muscles.
  • tskitzoid
    Options
    Uh oh, after reading this thread I feel like maybe I'm one of those fake activity calorie people! T_T

I put myself as lightly active because when I do have work, I'm on my feet, but sometimes I don't always get many days or many hours, plus, it's not just a "Salesman/teacher" type job, it's fast-food, so I'm constantly bustling around, making things, cleaning, restocking items, baking, pulling down boxes or helping unload boxes from the delivery truck we get once a week, etc. And so, I log my time at work as "cleaning, light, moderate effort" but it's definitely not something I'd consider "active" because on my off days I relax, play video games, or go out with my husband. Occasionally doing the house chores once or twice a week, which I also consider the "cleaning, light, moderate effort" but only put 1-2 hours (max) worth depending one what I'm doing and how long. Should I not be doing that? Ahhh I feel like a cheater now. ;~;