What triggered your journey?

Options

Replies

• mmenuey27
    mmenuey27 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    What triggered my journey..........Well my I have been trying to lose the same weight since my oldest was born (that's 9 years ago). I believe that with some past relationships I have let myself go even more than before. I actaully weigh more than when I was pregnant the second time. My ex husband has remarried, which was 6 years ago. My 9 year old always tells me that he wants me to be thinner; not in a rude way but more like telling me to be healthy. He is built like me and is very concious about what he eats, and I think that he worries he will look like me at my current weight. This is when I decided that enough is enough, and I want to show him that he/I am in charge of my weight, and that it isn't genetic. Some of it is, and I will have to work harder to get where I need to be. This is where I will teach him will power as well. I need to do this for my sons and for myself.
  • chervil6
    chervil6 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I took the midnight train.

liking this lol
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I worked at a grocery store for many years. I got tired of watching really fat people who were just so lazy using motorized carts. I don't want to wind up a 30 year old fat woman whose stomach hangs down past her knees and is so fat she can't walk. I said that is NOT what I want to be.
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm getting older and while I can get away with my less-than-healthy habits now, I know I won't be able to in the future.

Plus, there are some things I want to do that I'm just not able to, like the "Run for your Lives" 5k where zombies chase you!
  • chefphil321
    Options
    As i became my journey as a Culinary major and learned about nutrition, i was curious about what I was putting in my body each day. I figured I'd try to eat better and treat my body with more care. It's amazing the garbage we feed our kids in America now days when we should be promoting healthy eating habits.
  • Mara_
    Mara_ Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I saw some not so flattering pics back of myself. Plus I didn't eat healthy, so I needed to change that before it would go very wrong.

Oh, and someone asked if I was pregnant.
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Steve Perry.
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I almost died of cardiomyopathy and congestive heart failure on July 1, 2011 because I weighed almost 400 lbs. Like many of you, I used to consume tons of fast food, fried food, and other junk food.

Not anymore... I can never ever go back to the way I was before July 1, 2011.
  • RunningOnPurple
    RunningOnPurple Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    In the same week my boyfriend passed away (he was super morbidly obese, as was I and he had a heart attack) and then later in that week I went to the doctor and found out that the knee injury that I'd been living with for six months already couldn't be fixed because I was too fat, by a little over 100 pounds.

I'm honestly surprised I made it through that week. Thank goodness for family and friends and thank goodness for my MFP friends once I started logging here everyday.
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Like you, bit of a roundabout dieter, knew that I NEEDED to do it (years ago) but the best big push came just the other day when a cousin took a pic of me in the kitchen (not eating for once) and I was truly honestly SHOCKED by the plain truth. It doesn't make me a bad person. I will not have a fixed life if I lose weight. I will be able to keep up with the family and I hope to be less self concious . Can't wait. 3 days in...so far so good. xxx
  • lucypeaks
    lucypeaks Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    my 30th birthday is next year and i would love to reach a healthier weight by then...i have about 30 lbs to lose so really looking for some support on here as i am a boredom eater (or should i say,i WAS one!). Plus i have some beautiful clothes that i would love to fit in to again. I have tried time and again to go beyond a certain weight when dieting but give up before i see any real results...
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    In the office at work they do a 10 week weight loss challenge. Last Jan I was bullied to take part. It is seen as a laugh in the office, an excuse to say no to the cakes and biscuits post Christmas. I stood on the scales that measured in just lbs, being in the UK I work in stones and pounds. So I had a number 294lb that did not mean a great deal. I converted to stone and stared at 21st. This was the point that I knew I had to do more than 10 weeks.

I weighed in for the 10 week challenge last week, this time however I am now 17st (bad Christmas... was 16st 7lb)

Again I have a bit more to go that will take more than 10 weeks, but by the end of the year should be starting to maintain.
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I totally did that- cut the tags, so my husband couldn't make a comment about me being larger then him.
    I'm not sure if it was 1 single thing that triggered me to make the commitment this time around.
    Maybe a bunch of little things. the scale/clothes/health.
    I think it was having the right tools to stay committed. I had bought Jillian Michaels Body Revolution the same week I found this site. The 2 together helps me stick with it and once I started seeing results i couldn't stop.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I looked like I had a double chin in pictures and I was approaching plus sized and finally bought a scale after not weighing myself for years and saw the number.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    My reasons are two-fold.
    1. My brother lost like 60, 80 pounds. I had always told myself I didn't care if I was fat because hey, I thought I looked all right and I wasn't unhappy enough to put the work to lose weight. It was BS. That was made very clear when I saw the way my brother changed-- someone who had also been big and said "This isn't so bad,"-- from someone who obviously just wanted to be out of sight to someone who was happier and more confident. I realized, that no, I was not actually fine with being fat.

2. This was the clincher for me: Health-- diabetes runs in my family and I want none of that. My grandmother had several health problems from being big and it eventually killed her. She couldn't do the things she wanted to. Because of the health problems that came with her weight, medical procedures were harder and riskier than they should have been. She got so sick and her health got so bad that when it was critical, doctors couldn't do anything about it and it was because-- through her weight-- she had destroyed her health.
  • kcthatsme
    kcthatsme Posts: 5,136 Member
    Options
    Mine was crazy! I had decided to embrace the size/weight that I was. I'd been like that for almost 16 years. I liked eating whatever I wanted and didn't feel that I looked bad. I felt that I looked better than most 49 year olds that I knew. I was reading on Facebook and one of my friends posted that she had lost 25 pounds in about three months. I asked her what she was doing and she gave me the MFP link. I signed on here and wanted to play around with numbers. I couldn't without doing effort for the exercise and tracking my food. It was early enough in the day that I hadn't eaten yet and I thought "I haven't eaten yet so I can start right now!" I started that day and haven't looked back. I started here at 181.2 and most of the time I hover around 131. My ticker is heavier than that right now because I'm working off the holiday eating. :tongue: I don't want to go much lower than 131 (I'd like to hit 127) because it doesn't look good on my older face.
  • kellyrene
    Options
    I have entered a 3 month Biggest Loser compitition.. been on here many times for short periods.. this time My Fitness Pal is taking me all the way to 1st place!!!!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    This picture....
    33323822_1748.jpg
    I looked like a rooting hog

Boss Hog, maybe, but not necessarily a "rooting hog"

bosshog.jpg
  • LarDoucheLar
    LarDoucheLar Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I gained a whole lot of weight during pregnancy that hasn't really budged since having my son..
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I gained five pounds in a matter of days because I pigged out and was dangerously close to 190. I never gained anything until my second child and then boom. I should be 135. I did it and lost 40 pounds.