WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH

Options

Replies

• jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all for the well wishes and for the chuckles.

Sandy (our dragon) snuggles by climing up my neck and stretching out under my hair. He will stay there as long as I will let him.
    It's like having a neck warmer.

DD and I are off to run errands. Again thanks for the morning laughs. It's a good way to start the day.,

Jeannie
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :grumble: Not a good week this past week. Too much starch and Chinese food on Friday. Plus I moved desks at work. Plus I had a glass of wine every day at supper. Plus, dr. office called to discuss my blood test results; my meds might have to be adjusted. Plus I was stressed about one of my sons. I know stress causes weight gain. Yet...except for the Chinese food on Friday, all my food intake was healthy food! Today the scale showed 1 lb gain. :sad:

:cry: Can't cry over spilled (skim) milk though. I want to take action to improve my approach. I am rethinking weekly vs. daily weigh-in. I think I may need the daily reminder how I am doing. DH and I also discussed on having replacement meals. I think Barbie is doing that and that seemed to have worked very well for her.

:happy: It is a BEAUTIFUL Saturday here. Sun is shining. I am taking my (limping) daughter out for a ride. It's been a week since her knee surgery and her pain level has suddenly decreased. Yay!! :laugh:

I want to make today a "skinny Saturday". You all have a great day!! Love :heart:

Rebel
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    I'd like to thank you all for being my fitness pals! I thought that ....as we all are so good and log in most days or every day .... and ... we all have our housework to do .... ... You might like this.... I know it has nothing to do with weight loss but what the heck!!

CLEANING POEM
    I asked the Lord to tell me
    Why my house is such a mess
    He asked if I'd been 'computering',
    And I had to answer 'yes.' :smile:

He told me to get off my butt,:noway:
    And tidy up the house.
    And so I started cleaning up...
    The smudges off my mouse.:wink:

I wiped and shined the topside.
    That really did the trick...:smile:
    I was just admiring my good work.

I didn't mean to 'click.' :noway:

But click, I did, and oops - I found
    A real absorbing site :drinker:
    That I got SO way into it -
    I was into it all night.

So nothing's changed except my mouse.
    It's as shiny as the sun.:glasses:
    I guess my house will stay a mess.....
    While I sit here on my bum. :bigsmile:

Poem by Winnie Kjaer - on the Alzheimers Talking point forum
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon all!

A quick pop in for me. I just finished my exercise and need to hurry and shower to get to a "Tupperware Party". I really wouldn't go except that it is being given by my son's best friends (the newly weds). I feel like I need to give suppiort!

Do you remember when we thought Tupperware parties were all the rage? I'm really more into those Glad disposables that are easily tossed or given away.

Well, better hurry,

Cindy
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hello and happy Saturday everyone. I am trying to have a productive day so I want to limit my time here.

Cute poem, Jackie! I always laugh at myself because I can have a tremendous mess everywhere else, but a REALLY clean cook top (or drawer...or whatever). Obviously I have difficulty with the big picture and problems with staying focused.

Hope everyone has a great day!!:heart: Terri
  • loriwaz
    loriwaz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My first posting! I am 66 and this seems to be best thread for me. I have been getting re energized after a relatively successful couple of weeks and then a series of setbacks---- cateract surgery, company for meals left me not excercising enough and eating too much. I will keep reading the posts here to get mky focus back. THANKS
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon All~

Lots of good laughs as I just read all from yesterday afternoon, evening and this am. I picked up our new lap top and it's so different from what I'm used to:angry: that the mistakes are plenty and it takes me twice as long to do anything. But it's sure to be better in the long run:bigsmile:

Last night we went to dinner with Son #2, DIL and only grandson Noah...fun dinner as DIL is pregnant with grandson #2, we were bouncing names around...surprised that they even asked us for suggestions.:wink: Dinner was at Red Robin and I pre planned my meal by checking on line to customize what I wanted to eat and to stay within my calories...it was great food and best of all the scale cooperated this morning...now to hold on to those changes for the next two days until weigh in Monday.

I must get to the laundry and start organizing Mom's papers for getting her taxes done in a few weeks. The rest of you enjoy your weekend, trips, times with family and friends.

Until Monday continue to beat off those pounds!:smile:

Laura
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Got some great time off. My sister's really took over these past few days with my parents. Today, Hubby & I booked a short trip to Aruba in May for 5 days:love::love: . So many people told us we just have to go ahead and book a vacation so we did. I have never been out of this country before other then Canada for an afternoon. :tongue: Now I really have to stay with the program.

When I told my parents about the trip they were so happy for us. I just know it will be the best thing. It will also let my sisters take over a little more.

I am really struggling with stress and anxiety. I'm sure looking forward to a vacation will be the best medicine.

My only set back is I might have to board our Bosco. I'm hoping a relative will be happy to take him for a few days. He is such a great dog. But I'm not going to stress over it. What happens happens. We do have a great lady that boards him.

So, no more eating out. I have to log my calories if I want to lose some weight. And of course get to the gym tomorrow.

Kathy (plantlady)
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Spending the weekend visiting my bother and his family. LOTS of chances to over eat and not many to exercise. Tonight we went to Texas Road House. Even with being careful I went over my calories. Looks likeI'll be eating salad tomotrrow to make up for it.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

And .... to all those who have fridge magnets on their fridge...... Take heed of this warning !!!
    If you have metal fillings in your teeth or braces on your teeth ... DO NOT WALK TOO NEAR THE FRIDGE....:devil: The magnets may well drag you in ... You'll never lose weight that way!!

:flowerforyou: Have a great weekend ...be good, healthy and happy folks.

BFN
    Jackie

I thought all those magnets would hold the door shut, so you can't get in the fridge!!!:laugh: :laugh:

BTW, Jackie, your housekeeping poem reminds me of the sign I have in my kitchen: "I clean my house every other day--this is NOT the other day!!"

Well my little piggies are living up to their name. It seems two of them have discovered they like guacamole!!! They like chips too, but they don't have opposable thumbs, so dipping is a challenge!!:noway: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Pepper and Bradley are the "guacamole hounds." May Li can take it or leave it.

Well I am trying, without much success, to avoid catching a cold, but it seems more like it is catching ME:grumble: :ohwell: I went to church tonight, and I don't have to go out again 'til Monday when I take my mom to the doctor for her carotid artery ultrasound.

The weather around here is having trouble deciding what it wants to do. Today we had a beautiful sunny day, almost up to 60 degrees. Now the weather predictors are saying we have one last gasp of winter weather headed our way. I will be listening for the details.

I am going to call it a night. Hope everyone has a good weekend, no matter what they are doing.

Barb
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

It will probably be a few weeks before I can get back to my usual individual replies. So for now, I'll just be scanning the posts and doing general replies. (except for PlantLady who deserves an individual one today)

PlantLady - U rock! Aruba! lol When we were all suggesting you and your hubby take some time for yourselves we'd have all been glad if you said you got away for a day or a weekend. LMAO I am so happy for you. You deserve that week off and we are here to support you in getting there in the best shape you can be. Remember we love new pictures, so take one or two with us in mind.

Welcome to everyone new. This is a great forum.

This will come as no surprise, but I think I'm getting sick. I intend to stay away from my family as best I can and drink plenty of fluids, take vitamin C and be ready to go to Vail on Saturday as planned.

Jeannie
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Jumping in for a quick hello. I'm going back to work tomorrow and I'm a little nervous. :ohwell: Besides the fact that I still can feel the bronchitis and cough a lot.....(after 2 weeks of this) my boss informs me that my desk is like a war zone!!! :noway: :noway: I am a very orderly and organized person and I guess the temp that came in does not share my views. :grumble: I know I shouldn't criticize as I'm sure she did her best.... but being tax season....(and I am the only one who gets all the returns once they are done, and follow them each through the efiling process) I am told that she doesn't even have the paperwork and bookkeeping all in one place but mixed up.... in all different piles.... everywhere in the office!!!:noway: :noway: I'm trying to get myself ready, mentally, and keep telling myself...prioritize...prioritize..... My boss told me what she wants prioritized :flowerforyou: so I need to follow her orders and not look at the piles everywhere! :noway: Yikes!! :noway: I know it's part of my personality....but I am not comfortable until I have everything sorted etc. Then I'm in my comfort zone. :ohwell: I really need to get past this and just plow through the mess ...as well as keep my head on...without feeling overwhelmed or thinking about eating! (As well as not expect to get it all done tomorrow.) Please say a prayer for me to shake this bronchitis, so I can do what I have to!
    My food and water intake has been good but I have only exercised 7 days out of the last 30!
    Nothing I can do about it.:ohwell:
    This is where the serenity prayer comes in helpful.:love:

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    To change the things I can
    and the wisdom to know the difference".

To all those who have much more serious problems....please forgive my complaining.:frown: I know it can be much worse!
    Sending hugs to all and to let you know that I may be MIA for a while.
    God Bless!
    BirdieM:love:
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good Morning Ladies! Our local newspaper is running a series on diet and fitness. Here is the link to today's article: http://www.timescolonist.com/health/diet-fitness/Your+best+diet+might+your+genes/2641488/story.html

I think it makes a case that taking the same approach does not mean same results for everyone. Genetics play a role.

:heart: Birdie and those who either have no time or are not able to exercise due to mobility issues: It has been said that 75-80% of fitness is what you eat. As a person with a desk job, I set myself a daily reminder to go for a walk or to the gym. Anything really to get the oxygen pumping. My BRAIN and BODY need that, whether I need to lose weight or not.

:bigsmile: BTW. I lost 1.5 lbs. But I had gained 1 lb, so the net loss is actually .5 lb. Lost inches though, so that is good.

Have a fantastic Sunday.

Rebel
  • spaniel
    spaniel Posts: 468
    Options
    Wow, I am off the computer for two days and have so much catching up to do with all of you :happy: Had a great visit with my son. We went to our favorite family owned pizza place at the shore and was really proud of myself - only two slices of plain very thin crust pizza. Of course, then we had to stop at the old favorite bakery and I had to cheat just a little. We only get home to Jersey once a year, so I figured it was worth it.

Have a good evening everyone....think I will get on the treadmill and work off those bakery cookies I ate yesterday....
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good evening everyone..... Just a quick visit today! Began the day with the scales saying the same 152lb..:ohwell: Oh well!!
    We had a great day ... with Sunday Lunch for the family and then the cinema with the grandchildren.
    But......:ohwell: I had an attack of the "May as wells" as others have put it and... couldn't resist the popcorn (plain I might add) and the skittles fruit sweets. After a chicken mayo sandwich for supper I'm now over by 125 calories ..... Sorry.
    :smile: Tomorrow's another day and I will do better I'm sure.

Hope you all had a great weekend and that you all will have an even better week ahead.

BFN:heart:
    Jackie
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Hello All,

Another day, another challenge. The one I am facing at the moment is 18 lbs. of "Pepper" laying across my lap while I have "other laptop" on my knees so I can post. My ottoman is playing an important role in this exercise by supporting my feet, thus allowing my knees to raise up and hold the computer.

My cold officially has "caught" me. I guess I didn't run fast enough.:ohwell: So far I have taken a bath and gone back to bed and snuggled with doggies while watching the NASCAR race. Finally got out of bed, got dressed, had some breakfast, and decided to check in here after I logged my eating.

Birdie--Don't try and undo two weeks worth of accumulation in one day. I am sure they will be so glad to have YOU back, they will not expect you to magically make all the piles disappear. I hope you are fighting your bug with lots of vitamin C and vitamin d to help your immune system.

Jackie--Sorry about the "attack of the Skittles"--I get them sometimes, too. With me it is usually the "attack of the M & M's" :heart: or "attack of the Hershey kisses." :heart: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: BTW, I told the "weight loss program" story to a friend, who found it so funny, I copied it out of your post and emailed it to her.:laugh:

Pepper has relocated himself to the ottoman, increasing my keyboarding speed.:drinker:

I mentioned the weather in my last post. Then listened to more weather news last night and this morning. It seems we are getting some air from Alaska, that is REALLY cold, so that is going to filter down to the lowest elevations, and result in unsettled conditions, like hail, thunderstorms, and maybe a little snow, but it won't last for more than about a day, and then we go back to the customary weather for this time of year--that four-letter word " R - A - I - N" I don't mind rain, as long as it falls at night and doesn't interfere with doggie walking, but it lacks such consideration, and shows up whenever it pleases.:grumble:

As I was writing this, I was thinking about Barbie (and Jake) who are due to fly home from LA on Monday. Since they will be going to Seattle, this interesting weather might have an effect on them. I assume any cold air landing on our area is likely to effect that area, since that is between me and Alaska, so they might have an interesting tale to tell about their trip from the airport to home. I may be able to get a better idea of what might happen up there if I remember tonight to watch the news feed that is broadcast on one of our public access stations. It's the only access to Seattle tv that our area gets, since all our "local" tv comes from across the river in Oregon.

After the race is finished, I am going to take advantage of the nice weather remaining for today and take the "piggies" to the dog park. I figure walking around there, I will be far enough from anyone that I shouldn't spread any germs. (I hope).

Well, so long for now. Have a good weekend, all.

Barb
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    Well, it's Friday today. I did 1 hr spinning (I have these downloadable workouts so I can do it when it works into the schedule). Then, at the Y they asked all the Board of Managers to read a Dr. Seuss book to the kids so I did that. I was a bit (that's putting it mildly) upset yesterday. In the mail I get these two tickets ($25 each) to a fundraiser that the Y is having and I was told that I have to either buy the tickets or sell them. That set me off. I volunteer because I WANT to, I don't get up at 5a.m. to go to the meetings because I HAVE to and I really resent being told that I HAVE to buy these tickets. When I asked about the Heartrate monitor I was told "people can't afford it" -- well, if people can't afford that how can they afford tickets to this fundraiser? So I gave the tickets back to the executive director and told him that I had a real problem with being told that I HAVE to do something. He then told me, "well, you can sell them". Oh wonderful! So I can dump this on my friends who may not be interested but do it as a favor to me? No way! As I was leaving the office, he hands me this envelope. See, I wasn't at the last Board meeting because we were in Daytona. Anyway, it seems that I'm expected to call certain people and get pledges from them. That I have a REAL problem with. I'm really not passionate about raising money for this children's fund, I AM passionate about exercise and nutrition. I'm getting the feeling more and more that the only thing that I'm good for on this Board is to raise money for the children's fund. Really, I've made donations of weights and bands to another branch, I feel much more welcomed at that branch. They are very helpful. I don't object so much to the amount of money for these tickets, what I do object to is it being pushed upon me. Then the executive director says to me "well, as a Board member I would hope you'd WANT to attend (the fundraiser)". Sorry. That day I am scheduled to attend some fitness conferences. Sorry for rambling on.

I'm really amazed at how many of the machines (elliptical, treadmill, recumbant bikes) are out of order. Some of the treadmills were just purchased, and they're already out of order. Well, that's what you get when you purchase reconditioned items. Can you tell that I have less and less respect for the guy who is head of the fitness dept?

I'll probably go to yoga tomorrow. The woman who teaches the yoga opened her own studio. Honestly, she's cut back on A LOT of the classes she taught at the Y, if she does away with the Saturday classes, I'll just do something at home. That actually might be a blessing in disguise, I can alternate between yoga and pilates.

Ordered more exercise DVD's from collage and amazon today. I just get bored doing the same thing over and over. I do it, then I might not do it again for a month.

Barb - you were talking about other reasons for weight gain. I know that people will say "a calorie is a calories and it doesn't matter when you eat it". Everyone is different, and I've found that FOR ME if I eat late at night, the next day I can be assured of a weight gain. Never, ever fails for me.

One of the things I find that I like about doing a DVD at home is that I can exercise in my underwear and no one sees all the flab jiggling around. One time I went to a class at the Y (the one I was just complaining about). A lady comes in saying that the class as to be cancelled because the instructor can't make it. Well, I understand that emergencies arise, but I'm just amazed that someone can't lead the class. Anyway, that day I walked on the treadmill, I took off my shirt (I was wearing a sports bra) because I knew that I'd get really sweaty and I didn't have a change of clothes with me. I was told that I shouldn't wear just a sports bra and since I'm a Board member I should follow the rules. I never knew that we can't wear just a sports bra. If you look at lots of DVD's, the instructors many times are wearing just a sports bra. Well, this is the South, and they probably view that as "indecent exposure".

SuzyQ - I so much agree with your masseus/fitness coach. I've been at the same weight for at least 3 years now. Just recently I had to put in storage a pair of pants that were too big on me (and, boy, did that feel good)

doobiedoo - I'll be glad when the warm weather gets here, too. I like to take a walk after dinner. Lately, dh likes to eat dinner later, so I hope when the weather gets nicer he decides to have dinner earlier. Maybe, just maybe, I can get him to go with me. I know he won't go for a walk because he constantly complains that I stop and chat with everyone. But maybe if we have our bikes. Oh, that's right, dd#1 "borrowed" his.

Jackie - how does the refrig pull me in since I don't have braces?

DebbieW - that's great that you've changed up your routine and lost weight! What are you doing differently now?

Well, it's Sat. I've done an hour of yoga. I might do some balance games on the Wii tomorrow. I have been good about doing my yoga every night. Admitted, I usually only do 15 minutes with My Fitness Coach. Hopefully, when I get these new DVD's, there's one I ordered that has only short bouts of yoga so I can do that.

About the daily vs. weekly weight in -- I usually do my weight on the Wii every day, mainly because I like the fitness games. Anyway, today it said that I'd gained 1lb. Yet, according to my weekly weigh-in, I lost .5 of a pound. So whatever you do, just do the one thing

Say, can you only add a certain amount of foods to your lists of frequently eaten foods? There are things that I KNOW I've had recently, but they haven't shown up on my list.

Well, it's now Sunday. I did the cycling on the Wii; but after I got all the "flags" it told me to go back to the start/finish line, and I had no idea how to get there! but I figured I'd been "cycling" for about 20 minutes. I was on the Wii for an hour, the last 15 or so I did the Zen meditation, the rest of the time I did some balance games. I think I'll take the water aerobics tomorrow since this Wed. we have a meeting to go to, so I can't go to the water class then. I'm not real crazy about the Fri. class, it's just OK. We use noodles, not the weights. It IS good for a change or whenever it works into the schedule. I just realized that I haven't walked on the stairmaster in a while. Sometimes I like to walk on it sideways to get the inner and outer thighs. Wed. after the meeting I'll either do a Leslie Sansone walking DVD at home or maybe I'll do the Stairmaster. Then on the way home I can stop at this one store to get what they have on sale.

Michele
  • auranda
    auranda Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have not been on MYP for months and months. Have told my daughter, my niece and others about it. They are are all on it now. And they love it. Sooooooooooooooo, it is time for me to get started again. I love this site for women 50+! I guess my accomplishment for yesterday and today was that I walked both days, about 40 minutes each time. I did better with the eating today. Hopefully, I can get back on track w/eating and exercising. Have a great week. Looking forward to encouraging and being encouraged.
  • DebbieW
    DebbieW Posts: 187
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I'm really behind right now on reading the posts but I will try to catch up later.

Just wanted to say that after losing 1 pound this week I decided to go out shopping for something pretty to reward myself with.
    Boy was I surprised when after daring myself to try on a pair of "skinny jeans" that they actually fit me.

The skinny jeans actually looked like how they are supposed to look. I can't remember the last time I tried on something without strategizing on how to hide my excess weight underneath it.

Working out faithfully and eating properly really does pay off in so many positive ways.

I wish everyone great success with getting healthy.

Debbie
  • weaklink109
    Options

.....Say, can you only add a certain amount of foods to your lists of frequently eaten foods? There are things that I KNOW I've had recently, but they haven't shown up on my list......

Michele

You have discovered a downside to the food log that to date hasn't been improved upon. With the addition of the "recent items" tab, you can still find things you have recently eaten (for that meal), so at least they are accessible. As far as getting items in the favorites list, it appears once you have 25 items in that list, the only way I have figured out how to do it is to delete items from the favorites that you are no longer using regularly. They will appear in your deleted items list. Be aware, however, that any item in your deleted items list will NOT appear again as a favorite no matter how many times you might pull it manually into your diary via a database search. In order to get a deleted item back to your favorites, you will have to go to the deleted items list and use the "restore" feature to put it back in place.

I would like to see the favorites set up so that we could CHOOSE what goes into the favorites. It would certainly make my life a lot simpler.

Barb