Hi everybody,

Im starting with intermittend fasting.
Anybody here with experience with IF?
Please let me know if you have any tips or trics

Replies

• vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any tricks or tips. I just eat once a day. If you get too hungry try drinking more water/black coffee/tea. Eventually you get used to it
  • Shelly_here
    Shelly_here Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi, i follow the 5:2 diet but on a alternative or 4:3 basis. On fast days i try and stay round the 500 cal mark and bump it up the next day to my usual 1200 or so.

on fast days i tend to eat my allowance during work hours then skip dinner at night, but i know alot of people do the opposite, it really depends on what suits you! i drink alot of herbal tea etc.

good luck!xx
  • Rickjuh
    Rickjuh Posts: 67
    Options
    Hi, i follow the 5:2 diet but on a alternative or 4:3 basis. On fast days i try and stay round the 500 cal mark and bump it up the next day to my usual 1200 or so.

on fast days i tend to eat my allowance during work hours then skip dinner at night, but i know alot of people do the opposite, it really depends on what suits you! i drink alot of herbal tea etc.

good luck!xx

Hi Shelly, i fast everyday 20 hours i only it my calories between 12 and 4. Around the 1200 calories and do a 90 min fitness routine about 4 times a week. I hope its enough calories.....
  • kirstyg1980
    Options

good luck!xx

Hi Shelly, i fast everyday 20 hours i only it my calories between 12 and 4. Around the 1200 calories and do a 90 min fitness routine about 4 times a week. I hope its enough calories.....

far too little calories!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Matt_Wilken
    Options

good luck!xx

1200 calories? and you do a 90 minute routine...ouch
  • WrenStory
    WrenStory Posts: 103
    Options
  • Jenky85
    Jenky85 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I've just started 16/8 IF and loving it! I break my fast at 12 and finish eating before 8 and I rarely get hungry. I've also lost 5 lbs in 5 days...obviously mainly water but I'm to bloated anymore and feel so energetic :)
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I did IF at my old job as it suited the hours and my routine...did not improve weightloss though...
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody,

Im starting with intermittend fasting.
    Anybody here with experience with IF?
    Please let me know if you have any tips or trics
    I started a 16/8 IF routine over the summer which produced some positive results.
    It's no magic wand.
    I broke that convention during the holidays and am just picking it up again.
    It helps with calorie control and for me: fat loss though again...nothing dramatic or magical.
    As for tips and such, just find the right fast window that works best for you.
    Mine is 9pm to 1pm - 16 hours, and then I eat from 1pm to 9pm - 8 hous....
    My "free day" is still in place to shock my body every week.
    IF is just a tool to use for those who are looking for alternatives to traditional eating windows.
    Good luck!
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options

good luck!xx

OUCH!
    This is a prescription for failure for most people.
    When it comes to calorie intake, consider following MFP recommendations.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    lol 20 hour fast and a 1200 calorie diet for someone just starting IF? Yeah terrible idea up your caloric intake or you'll feel like **** and quit in a week.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Don't let the naysayers sway you either way. They are naysayers because either they haven't tried it or they tried it wrong. IF isn't for everyone and even when its working well our situation may change later its not helpful or needed. I say that it is always worth experimenting with but being gradual with it is very helpful and wise

If you decide to try it I would start with 12/12 (that is 12 hours fast and 12 hours feeding window). That may seem silly since it is what most people do naturally but it will eliminate the late night and middle if night snacking. It will also help you to be the master of your body instead of always giving into its whims (in terms of eating, that is). If that works well, say for about 2 weeks then you can try the 16/8 program. That level is sufficient for most but 18/6 all the way to 22/2 may be useful at times. There are other protocols such as 5 days eating and 2 days fasting per week, etc but I'm personally not a fan of those. For a few some of those may even work on a semi permanent basis- it is a highly individual thing.

A cautionary note. If you are limiting your feeding window, even some, then you should also seriously reconsider how many calories you are taking in. If you are on MFP to lose 2 pounds a week, as an example, you may want to change that to 1 pound or even a 1/2 pound to bring in some more calories during your feeding window. The benefits of IF, when done correctly, will outweigh that modest increase in calories. There are some who might say that it doesn't matter when you eat as long as you net so many calories per day- I could agree with them but then I would be wrong. When there is a timed fast it does make a difference. Just make sure that you are calculating things based on your basal metabolic rate and the activity you add to it. This 1,200 calorie thing should only be applied under strict medical supervision or if that is what MFP says you should take in. If that is the case then you probably only weigh about 75 pounds which would suggest you need to look at gaining weight. If neither is the case and you are eating 1,200 calories per day then you probably have or will have a eating disorder.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I do 20/4 and eat from 7pm-11pm. My only advice is to make sure you stick very closely to your fed window fir the first few weeks, it will get much easier after that. I don't get hungry at all during my fasted window anymore.
  • Rickjuh
    Rickjuh Posts: 67
    Options
    Thanks people for all the feedback!
    I took your advice i upped my calories to 1800! Is that better?
  • smurfbus
    smurfbus Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Depends how much you exercise but much better than the ultra low starvation mode numbers you posted earlier. I'm type one diabetic and I try to follow 16/8 when I can and I do my workouts just before heavy lunch at 11am. Currently I do 200kcal deficit on rest days and maintenance on gym days.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    holy Lazarus thread!
  • andrewarrow
    andrewarrow Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of IF. If you think about human life 1000s of years ago, I'm sure it was common to IF just because no food was available.
  • guslandrum
    guslandrum Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Been doing IF 20/4 for several months with an occasional day off. Rarely get hungry during my fasting window. And usually have a hard time eating all my calories during my feed window. For me, it has been great.
  • ValBFP4H
    ValBFP4H Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have been following a 16:8 fasting schedule and a LCHF lifestyle. I looked up several sites but my favorite is still Dr. Jason Fung's lectures on You Tube and his blog. It isn't for everyone but it works for me and that is what counts. It also impressed my doctor. LOL!