Did Jillian Michaels Go Too Far on BL?

Options
bjshields
bjshields Posts: 677 Member
Hey, fitness fans! Just finished watching last night's Biggest Loser. I was a bit baffled by Jillian Michaels' treatment of the one girl, who she seemed to badger into leaving. These people are already broken -- does she need to break them down more? Can't the workout itself do that? I'm curious, what did you think? And will you be watching this season?:drinker:

Replies

• Sloth_TurtleGirl
    Sloth_TurtleGirl Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I was so excited she was coming back on. But, she probably went a little too far. She had something to prove. Though, to be honest, it's like the prison yard thing. You go in and take out someone and the rest live in fear of you. What bothered me though was that because Jillian did that, the guy I felt really bad for ended up going home. I can't even imagine losing that much weight and then getting sent home.

On the other hand, had Jillian been there, I doubt we would have had the nightmare season of Conda or the incessant whining of Bonnie the season before. Bob and Dolvett are much easier on the women.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Just watched it for the first time last night. The way I see it A TON of people really wanted to be on that show and have the chance to do what somebody just didn't have it in her to do.

And they need to screen better so people who would be willing to do the work would be on the show and have the opportunity instead.

All that said, I don't think she goes too far.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    It's also a tv show made to promote the sales of products so they need to have drama...
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I have mixed emotions about Jillian last night. I thought she was really tough. I mean these guys are literally passing out on the treadmill and she is yelling at them? No compassion at all. Regarding how she was towards Nikki, while I do think she was rough on her- she was right. Nikki was not ready to be there. She wasn't even trying. If I were her and I watched last nights episode I would be embarassed. All these people trying out for the show and she takes a spot of someone who really wanted to be there.

Yes I will be watching. It is one of the only shows my husband and I watch together.

Oh and I do think off all the seasons this season has the most attractive. You can see when these people lose weight they are going to look amazing !
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I haven't watched the episode yet, but heard someone left. I think its just part of the show, for "dramatic effect." Plus, i think sometimes editing makes it seem worse than it is...who knows!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I think they go too far all the time, including their training methods.

I think the show, while entertaining and motivating, also does a massive disservice to dieters by giving them a horrible idea of what is acceptable and what isn't.

/gets off soapbox.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Hey, fitness fans! Just finished watching last night's Biggest Loser. I was a bit baffled by Jillian Michaels' treatment of the one girl, who she seemed to badger into leaving. These people are already broken -- does she need to break them down more? Can't the workout itself do that? I'm curious, what did you think? And will you be watching this season?:drinker:

what makes you think they are broken? because they are on a reality show fitness competition? they're still looking for the easy way out, imo.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I can't feel sorry for anyone who would go on a show like that. (Just like I don't feel sorry for "Survivor" contestants who are stuck in tha pouring rain eating nothing but rice)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind, it's a "reality" show and they show the drama and cut out a lot of other things. Plus, it's not entirely unscripted, so it's hard to tell what's real and what's rehearsed.

I stopped watching that show a long time ago. Didn't see last night. But I have seen interviews with contestants who said the producers cut the show to make Jillian look more harsh than she is.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

I think the show, while entertaining and motivating, also does a massive disservice to dieters by giving them a horrible idea of what is acceptable and what isn't.

/gets off soapbox.

Last night's show was ridiculous.
  • photognurse
    photognurse Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I read into that show... They have to do what is told of them apparently and agree to do that stuff. Not to mention having 4000 calorie deficits in one day... If you don't like it, then why wouldn't you leave? Only going to change if you want to....
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    Options
    I read into that show... They have to do what is told of them apparently and agree to do that stuff. Not to mention having 4000 calorie deficits in one day... If you don't like it, then why wouldn't you leave? Only going to change if you want to....

Because you're on tv and can win a bunch of money, I would be willing to get fat again just to get on that show lol
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Omg, is Jillian back on Biggest Loser? As i'm in England i just watch them on Sky Living so don't get to see the series till i think it's like a year later or something.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I didn't see the show so I am going to base this answer off of previous season I have watched and my own experience with people.

Many of us need that hard reality. We too easily quit because something is hard but will turn around and cry that we have not changed. In my opinion JM is awesome and knows what she is doing. She probably wanted that person to stop making excuses and take control of her life. Also from what I have seen of JM she wants to show people that they are stronger than they think they are and if they can deal with her crap that they can handle anything the world throws at them.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    The way she curses at people and all that rough talk ... I'm not going to watch her show anymore. I've lost a lot of weight in the past with a trainer that had a lot more patience and never once yelled at me. It's unprofessional to me. It's not the NFL
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

/gets off soapbox.

Troof.

It's the only show I've seen where people get upset that they "only" lost 20lbs their first week. You'll see plenty of posters around here who expect the same results these people on tv are having.

Plus I don't think you really learn much about a healthy lifestyle if you're taken from your family, home, and job and given a personal trainer and pre-planned meals for a couple months. Losing weight on your own as a part of your regular life is really a better way to go.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

/gets off soapbox.

Troof.

It's the only show I've seen where people get upset that they "only" lost 20lbs their first week. You'll see plenty of posters around here who expect the same results these people on tv are having.

Plus I don't think you really learn much about a healthy lifestyle if you're taken from your family, home, and job and given a personal trainer and pre-planned meals for a couple months. Losing weight on your own as a part of your regular life is really a better way to go.
    I think it's MUCH better way to go about it, on your own. It's easier and healthier I'm sure.
    I have to say I was really disheartened by a man on the show .... who said he'd been waiting TWO YEARS to get on the show and lose weight.
    All I could think... is if he had found something like MFP and already implemented the changes in his life two years ago.... he wouldn't need the show.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

/gets off soapbox.

Last night's show was ridiculous.

I've seen it a few times in the past but not recently. It's entertaining AND stupid. Total car wreck of a show. Bath methods, dangerous for the contestants and has led to EDs in at least a few people.

Next week, I'll be in the US and likely have the "opportunity" to watch it again. I might take rat poison instead or go to gym.
    Now, there is an idea.
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I didn't see the show so I am going to base this answer off of previous season I have watched and my own experience with people.

Many of us need that hard reality. We too easily quit because something is hard but will turn around and cry that we have not changed. In my opinion JM is awesome and knows what she is doing. She probably wanted that person to stop making excuses and take control of her life. Also from what I have seen of JM she wants to show people that they are stronger than they think they are and if they can deal with her crap that they can handle anything the world throws at them.
    Although i haven't seen it either, i agree with this.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    Options

/gets off soapbox.

Troof.

And they always do terrible on the weeks they go home and feel terrible about eating out for 1 day, I like watching it to see just how unhealthy these people can be, I also get a little kick when I hear they gained it all back.

That's what you get for not educating yourself!