Did Jillian Michaels Go Too Far on BL?

Options

Replies

• kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I don't think she went too far at all. Her training method is to break them down totally, then build them back up again. Nikki was just too weak to take it. 14/15 people dealt with her, 1 couldn't handle it. People wait forever to get picked for this show, I believe Nikki through her chance down the trash chute.

Now, do I think this show paints a 'real life' picture on weight loss - Heck No. Almost 30 pound weight losses in a week? Seriously? This is why when newbies start on MFP and lose 1-4 pound the first week they think they are doing something wrong...
  • JillianP00
    Options
    I actually like TC and I was sad to see him go, but I HATED what he said during his interview. He made a promise to his son to lose weight and tried for 2 years to get on the show. Why couldn't he put that motivation into actually losing weight at home?! He kept making excuses because he wasn't on the show! He couldn't even get motivation to lose weight even after his son was almost killed. I don't understand some people!

I don't think Jillian was too harsh. I think she is exactly what the show needed. I noticed over the last 2 seasons that the contestants are getting worse and complain sooooo much more! She's just weeding them out at the beginning so we don't have to hear them whine the whole season.
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options
    I think they go too far all the time, including their training methods.

I think the show, while entertaining and motivating, also does a massive disservice to dieters by giving them a horrible idea of what is acceptable and what isn't.

/gets off soapbox.

Troof.

It's the only show I've seen where people get upset that they "only" lost 20lbs their first week. You'll see plenty of posters around here who expect the same results these people on tv are having.

Plus I don't think you really learn much about a healthy lifestyle if you're taken from your family, home, and job and given a personal trainer and pre-planned meals for a couple months. Losing weight on your own as a part of your regular life is really a better way to go.
    I think it's MUCH better way to go about it, on your own. It's easier and healthier I'm sure.
    I have to say I was really disheartened by a man on the show .... who said he'd been waiting TWO YEARS to get on the show and lose weight.
    All I could think... is if he had found something like MFP and already implemented the changes in his life two years ago.... he wouldn't need the show.

Gonzo was thinking EXACTLY what I was thinking. In the 2 1/2 years he's been WAITING to get on the show he could've lost AT LEAST 60lbs and learned how to do it on his own at home. And used that intel to keep the family from ever having weight issues of their own. The guy supposedly promised his kid he'd lose the weight. WTF were you waiting for?
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Watching Kent State and Arkansas State was much better, I'm sure.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Of course not.
    This whole show is about failure and humiliation - not success.
    It's an encyclopedia of everything serious people should never do for steady, safe and lasting results.
    The ratings were helped greatly by this display like Simon on idol.
    Go Jillian! :drinker:
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    How did Jillian go too far by expecting a contestant on a weight loss show to put in the work, stop her incessant whining and crying, and take advantage of the opportunity presented to her? How many people get a chance to be completely removed from everyday responsibility and focus on nothing but weight loss with their own personal trainers?

The contestant who left was wasting everyone's time. This isn't the first season of the show, and all of the contestants asked to be there. Nikki took the spot of someone who may have been willing to work for it instead of turning on the waterworks every time the camera came near her.
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Shows like that often have people go on specifically to be humiliated and leave straight away to spike fear in the other contestants. They are payed handsomely for this and agree, sign contracts etc.
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I didn't see it....but my gut says you have to tear it down completely to rebuild a decent building....otherwise, its going to be a good building on a crappy foundation. Without a good foundation, even the best building will eventually crack and break.

In otherwords, yes, these people are broken, but need to be broken down all the way to start over.

Now...my problem with that show is it makes it seem like 5 lbs/week is normal weight loss....that just aint so. And for most people, 1 or 2 lbs per week is much healthier and more sustainable. We can't all work out for 6 hours a day with personal trainers barking at us.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options

I think the show, while entertaining and motivating, also does a massive disservice to dieters by giving them a horrible idea of what is acceptable and what isn't.

/gets off soapbox.

Troof.

It's the only show I've seen where people get upset that they "only" lost 20lbs their first week. You'll see plenty of posters around here who expect the same results these people on tv are having.

Plus I don't think you really learn much about a healthy lifestyle if you're taken from your family, home, and job and given a personal trainer and pre-planned meals for a couple months. Losing weight on your own as a part of your regular life is really a better way to go.
    I think it's MUCH better way to go about it, on your own. It's easier and healthier I'm sure.
    I have to say I was really disheartened by a man on the show .... who said he'd been waiting TWO YEARS to get on the show and lose weight.
    All I could think... is if he had found something like MFP and already implemented the changes in his life two years ago.... he wouldn't need the show.

Gonzo was thinking EXACTLY what I was thinking. In the 2 1/2 years he's been WAITING to get on the show he could've lost AT LEAST 60lbs and learned how to do it on his own at home. And used that intel to keep the family from ever having weight issues of their own. The guy supposedly promised his kid he'd lose the weight. WTF were you waiting for?

This. My wife and I were cussing at him quite a bit when we hear how long he's been waiting. Lazy anyone?
  • keelymf
    Options
    She is tough, but her methods work. She reminds me of drill sergeants we had in basic training. The methods are hard, emotionally and physically, but you break down and build back up even stronger. You have to 'hit bottom' emotionally and physically to really discover how bad you want to achieve these goals yourself.

Jillian is the kind of person I would work hard for and push beyond my limits (which is what she's getting them to do). The ruts and routines that lead to weight gain are deep and can be very hard to step out of; Jillian's methods, while in your face and intimidating, help you to push yourself out of the rut and move forward. I like the show and I'll continue to watch.
  • bigtrocks
    bigtrocks Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't think she went too far, that Nikki lady was a spoiled brat. She was only 26, and there were people much bigger than her doing everything and all she did was complain, or not even try. Someone else that needed it could have been in her spot. I don't feel bad for her. Jillian is my fav!
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I was a little heartbroken by how harsh Jillian was last night. And I'm a HUGE Jillian fan.

I had to remind myself that this is a SHOW! A week's worth of day long workouts were condensed into a 2 hour show. Of course they showed the worst of it - that's what gets us to watch next week!

I'm sad we are down two contestants in week one already - I'm curious to see how this plays out for the white team.
  • BadAzzBea
    BadAzzBea Posts: 461
    Options
    I read into that show... They have to do what is told of them apparently and agree to do that stuff. Not to mention having 4000 calorie deficits in one day... If you don't like it, then why wouldn't you leave? Only going to change if you want to....

Because you're on tv and can win a bunch of money, I would be willing to get fat again just to get on that show lol
    \
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    This. My wife and I were cussing at him quite a bit when we hear how long he's been waiting. Lazy anyone?
    [/quote]
    It made me angrier than anything on the show. You are how many pounds overweight? Nearly kill your son in car accident? Make a promise to lose the weight and use the excuse you are waiting on a TV show?

It literally enraged me.
  • Findekano
    Findekano Posts: 116
    Options
    Side note, has anyone noticed how terrible Bob Harper looked? Looked like he had a massive hangover or something. Wonder what's up there...
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hell no, I love Jillian, she is one hot babe...

Who cares about the contestants really.... I mean it is a reality show they get paid money to do it for...

If they WANT to change, good for them, but going onto a TV show isn't going to change them overnight lol....

Personally I love seeing the idiots fail... no motivation or will power... and Jillian with her sexy *kitten* body.... perfect combo IMO...
  • Ballousy
    Options
    Not watching I am no Jillian fan and if they are having the kids on there all the swearing is totally uncalled for as far as I am concerned. Done with the show.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Shows like that often have people go on specifically to be humiliated and leave straight away to spike fear in the other contestants. They are payed handsomely for this and agree, sign contracts etc.

I believe that. And it makes me sad that I believe it without question.

Just like American Idol. All the horrible contestants are hand-picked by the producers for entertainment purposes.
  • princessnik7
    princessnik7 Posts: 144 Member
    Options

/gets off soapbox.

Troof.

Yes, anyone who does research knows that pretty much all they do the entire time is work out day in and day out. Unlike the average person who has a job for 8 hours a day, possibly kids to tend to, and is fitting in/scheduling work out time into an already packed schedule.
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I quit watching BL years ago because the motivation is ridiculous, and more often than not, many of the contestants will GAIN the weight back and then some! Sorry, but I'd rather watch the BCS Championship Game tonight when the Alabama Crimson Tide takes on the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. I'll get MORE exercise jumping up and down tonight if the Tide wins it.

Forget BL tonight! ROLL TIDE ROLL!