Did Jillian Michaels Go Too Far on BL?

Options

Replies

• HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I actually like TC and I was sad to see him go, but I HATED what he said during his interview. He made a promise to his son to lose weight and tried for 2 years to get on the show. Why couldn't he put that motivation into actually losing weight at home?! He kept making excuses because he wasn't on the show! He couldn't even get motivation to lose weight even after his son was almost killed. I don't understand some people!

I don't think Jillian was too harsh. I think she is exactly what the show needed. I noticed over the last 2 seasons that the contestants are getting worse and complain sooooo much more! She's just weeding them out at the beginning so we don't have to hear them whine the whole season.

I'm completely with you on TC. He's going to have to do it at home now anyway, why couldn't he start when he promised his son 2 years ago???
    As far as Jillian - I don't know. I noticed Bob and Dolvett's contestants said they believed in them and gave them the support they needed. I didn't see Jillian give teh same support, but then there's a lot of editing. She could have been motivational and it didn't make it to the final show.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Not watching I am no Jillian fan and if they are having the kids on there all the swearing is totally uncalled for as far as I am concerned. Done with the show.

Do you always judge things before you watch them and without having any real information?
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Thought it was like a boot camp last night. Don't like watching them workout till the people are sick. Just turned the tv off and went to bed.

Keep in mind these people have never exercised a day in their lives. And I know the first time I took a bootcamp class, I felt like I was going to puke - and I had been working out for months prior to that! I think it's just the body's response to an intense workout.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Its a game show. so no she didnt go too far. i just dont understand how you can quit like that.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Everyone has already covered that this is just a tv show and needs drama for ratings.

As far as Jillian's behavior goes, I totally understand her methods. She is trying to break their mindset that they can't do it. Your body is much stronger than your mind. All of those people have it in them to succeed but their mind is stopping them more than their body is. Once you break the "I can't do it" mentality, then you can do anything. Guess what? Her screaming and ranting usually works. She is not my favorite person but she gets *kitten* done.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    idc much about the BL but there's an ad on the side of my screen for Jillian Michaels. Darned big brother-esque targeted advertising.

p.s. what I think is too far is locking those people in a room full of junk for four hours. lol
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    This. My wife and I were cussing at him quite a bit when we hear how long he's been waiting. Lazy anyone?
    It made me angrier than anything on the show. You are how many pounds overweight? Nearly kill your son in car accident? Make a promise to lose the weight and use the excuse you are waiting on a TV show?

It literally enraged me.
    [/quote]

I felt the same.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    This. My wife and I were cussing at him quite a bit when we hear how long he's been waiting. Lazy anyone?
    It made me angrier than anything on the show. You are how many pounds overweight? Nearly kill your son in car accident? Make a promise to lose the weight and use the excuse you are waiting on a TV show?

It literally enraged me.

I felt the same.
    [/quote]

which one is that?
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    people who give up on all their dreams in life because someone yells :drinker:

this!!

Step 1:
    Be a jerk to someone

Step 2:
    Tell the person they are just too weak to handle it or that you have to do this because they are weak

Step 3:
    The person believes they are weak, and doesn't try to be stronger

Step 4:
    Food doesn't judge, yell, or tell you how weak you are.

Step 1:
    Be a jerk to someone
    (subjective - youre one of the most sensitive people on MFP - so let's start here by saying what you consider to be 'jerky' i consider to be honest motivation)

Step 2:
    Tell the person they are just too weak to handle it or that you have to do this because they are weak
    (fact - if you cant pick something up - you are too weak to pick it up. You have to get stronger - I dont see the problem here)

Step 3:
    (that person didn't want it to begin with apparently, if they think that being weak means you cannot get strong so they just give up. lame)

Step 4:
    (how the hell is food the fourth step in motivation and exercise. Food doesn't do anything. It's just some hot or cold stuff on the table on a plate. you might as well say tires dont yell at you, front doors dont judge you and your mailbox wont ever tell you how weak you are.)

Step 1. Tell them the truth
    Step 2. Explain that they have a long way to go.
    Step 3. When they accept that, help them get there.
    Step 4. High five them every time they progress.

Who's fault is it if they quit between step 2 and step 3?

THEIR OWN FAULT.

If you cant stay motivated on a tv show, then you just dont want it.

You may want the reward, I dont doubt that. But you dont want the change.

WIN. /thread
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I have not read the other 5 pages of replies so this may or may not have been said. No, she did not cross the line. Nikki was not motivated. She was not prepared to put forth the effort to make the changes she needs to make; Nikki admitted this. On that ranch they make the contestants work hard and lose fast because of the seriousness of their weight issue as well as constraints in that it is a competition. Anyone who has watched the previous years with Jillian would know that it would not be a cake walk. Hell, I have done her workouts and they kill, I couldn't inmagine her in my face tellingme how poorly I am doing it... but that is also why I didn't ever try out for the show. Not everyone is capable of handling that form of motivation. I love the show, the way the coaches are, including Jillian, is motivational for me. But like Nikki, I would not be able to have someone motivating ME that way. For some twisted reason it hits home watching it but it would break me in negative ways to endure it personally.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

It literally enraged me.

I felt the same.

which one is that?
    [/quote]

It was TC. The one who got sent home week 1.....
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    people who give up on all their dreams in life because someone yells :drinker:

this!!

Step 1:
    Be a jerk to someone

Step 2:

Step 3:

Step 4:

Step 1:
    Be a jerk to someone
    (subjective - youre one of the most sensitive people on MFP - so let's start here by saying what you consider to be 'jerky' i consider to be honest motivation)

Step 2:
    (fact - if you cant pick something up - you are too weak to pick it up. You have to get stronger - I dont see the problem here)

Step 3:
    (that person didn't want it to begin with apparently, if they think that being weak means you cannot get strong so they just give up. lame)

Step 4:
    (how the hell is food the fourth step in motivation and exercise. Food doesn't do anything. It's just some hot or cold stuff on the table on a plate. you might as well say tires dont yell at you, front doors dont judge you and your mailbox wont ever tell you how weak you are.)

Step 1. Tell them the truth
    Step 2. Explain that they have a long way to go.
    Step 3. When they accept that, help them get there.
    Step 4. High five them every time they progress.

Who's fault is it if they quit between step 2 and step 3?

THEIR OWN FAULT.

If you cant stay motivated on a tv show, then you just dont want it.

You may want the reward, I dont doubt that. But you dont want the change.

I meant emotional weakness. I'm "sensitive" on this subject because of repeated harassment at a young age, especially, as I said, from doctors who among other things didn't speak to one another and didn't realize that the reason I wasn't losing weight when put on a special plan by a nutritionist and following said plan was due to side effects from medication from another doctor, even though a ten minute search of the studies on that medication should have told them that possible side effects include low thyroid and weight gain.

I wouldn't go on TV, because I don't think that would motivate me.
    I do understand that if you develop this line of thinking and other disordered thoughts about food, you need to change them. What I'm saying is that we as a culture could do more to make sure that people don't develop them in the first place, especially with children.

I wasn't talking about physical weakness- that would be stupid. I meant people talking about how if you feel like, say you can't keep going after a certain point and need a break, like the people who continue to exercise after they puke instead of taking a rest and getting back to it at a later point, you must be weak willed. Weak of spirit. I have a problem with telling people they are weak or breaking down their self esteem when they try and fail because it develops in many people a "Why should I try when it's hard and I'll just fail because I'm weak and bad and I suck and whatever I will just do nothing." attitude. Saying to someone "you can't run a mile" is fine. Saying to someone "I know you can't run a mile, but you will be able to if you follow this plan." is better. Saying to someone "You can't run a mile because you're lazy and you don't want it enough and you have no will power." is saying "you should probably just give up now, you are going to fail."

As for step 4- binging on carbs is a symptom of depression for many people because of "comfort eating" reminding them of childhood, but also because a binge on those foods will trigger chemicals in the brain that make them feel better. One great way to counter this as a person who suffers from depression is knowing that there are exercises I CAN do that will also make me feel better, both in the short term and the longer term as well. The problem is that a lot of people who are overweight only think of exercise as something painful that they aren't good at. Something as simple and painless as going for a walk can help you get in better shape and improve your mood exponentially.

Just because we need to be solution and goal oriented in order to get in shape does not mean we should discount the fact that society and family both play a role in why we got this way to begin with. It does not mean we should not actively try to make changes to the system to make it easier for everyone, including future generations, to live a healthy lifestyle. That's what I'm saying. I agree with the majority of what you posted, I just think this show focuses on getting someone else to yell at you and force you to do the work, which makes some people think they need someone else to get into shape, like that guy who waited 2 years to go on BL instead of making changes in his own life, but it also makes people who are naturally more active or less prone to carry extra fat think that they are "helping" somehow by breaking down the self esteem of fat people. What I was trying to communicate is that once my self esteem started going up, I wanted to take care of my body and lose fat. When it was low, I figured I'd try and fail anyway and hid in my bed all day.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Just watched it for the first time last night. The way I see it A TON of people really wanted to be on that show and have the chance to do what somebody just didn't have it in her to do.

And they need to screen better so people who would be willing to do the work would be on the show and have the opportunity instead.

All that said, I don't think she goes too far.

I'm with her
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    It's also a tv show made to promote the sales of products so they need to have drama...

Yup. I watched the first two or three seasons, after that, the producers seemed to be trying to stir up trouble just to create more drama in order to boost ratings so they could sell more products and get more sponsors. It's become too much about money. It used to be inspiring to me in the beginning. Now, it's no better than Survivor or Big Brother. I rarely ever watch it anymore.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    I thought she went too far.....but I'm not a Jillian fan......Bob and Dolvett are the Man/Men??:love:
  • berniemay
    berniemay Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I think they go too far all the time, including their training methods.

I think the show, while entertaining and motivating, also does a massive disservice to dieters by giving them a horrible idea of what is acceptable and what isn't.

/gets off soapbox.
    I agree with this 100%!
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options

I think the show, while entertaining and motivating, also does a massive disservice to dieters by giving them a horrible idea of what is acceptable and what isn't.

/gets off soapbox.

((Claps Hands)) Totally agree!! 15-20 lbs. in a week? How can this be seen as a healthy way to lose??
  • hatethegame
    hatethegame Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    What do you expect? It's reality (uh.. I mean fake) TV.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I watched an entire episode last night and was surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did. Sure, its a reality TV show and its edited to make it look the way the producers want it to look. Sure, its not an optimal plan the contestants are on and you worry about their being able to sustain their losses. Honestly, though Jillian freaked me out the most when talking to the kids. There she was sitting in the grass chatting without pushing them to do anything! Again, maybe that was just editing but the contrast was stark. I also found the tag line for Planet Fitness "The Judgment Free Zone" to be a amusingly at odds with Jillian's screaming.

Agree completely!!

Had I watched this show a few years ago, I would have a seriously skewed perception of weight loss and exercise to be honest. Now I have a healthier view on it and the show.
    While it motivates me to workout and do things like "15 lunges everytime someone cries" as a responsible viewer I understand that these people are dedicating all their time to this. It is a reality tv show and it is edited and the cast is portrayed in a certain manner.

I have MANY Jillian Michaels' dvds and I enjoy using them. I will say though, even I was surprised by how she is portrayed on the show. I am going to continue watching and the way I look at it, these people wanted this, they auditioned and what not. They signed waivers and so on. No, I don't feel bad for them in any way.

Not to mention, I already have a soft spot for 13y.o. Bingo. That little boy is so enduring and I know the trainers take a different approach with the kids but I have a lot of respect for those kids putting themselves out there like that. They are awesome.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options

/gets off soapbox.

Troof.

It's the only show I've seen where people get upset that they "only" lost 20lbs their first week. You'll see plenty of posters around here who expect the same results these people on tv are having.

Plus I don't think you really learn much about a healthy lifestyle if you're taken from your family, home, and job and given a personal trainer and pre-planned meals for a couple months. Losing weight on your own as a part of your regular life is really a better way to go.
    I think it's MUCH better way to go about it, on your own. It's easier and healthier I'm sure.
    I have to say I was really disheartened by a man on the show .... who said he'd been waiting TWO YEARS to get on the show and lose weight.
    All I could think... is if he had found something like MFP and already implemented the changes in his life two years ago.... he wouldn't need the show.

Gonzo was thinking EXACTLY what I was thinking. In the 2 1/2 years he's been WAITING to get on the show he could've lost AT LEAST 60lbs and learned how to do it on his own at home. And used that intel to keep the family from ever having weight issues of their own. The guy supposedly promised his kid he'd lose the weight. WTF were you waiting for?

I thought the same thing. His story was sad and he's completely right, his weight MAY have played a role in the accident.... So he has REALLY been very freaking lucky another one hasn't occured in the two years he was sitting around blaming not getting on a tv show for why he hasn't lost. I was upset to see him go though. CLEARLY he needed to be in an environment like that to be successful. I am glad he took what he learned home and continued to lose on his own. I am interested to see him at the finale