Do Multivitamins Improve Health?

Options
I don't think there is much evidence that they do.

Before I begin, if you're clinically deficient in a certain vitamin or mineral, and a doctor puts you on a supplement, then yes you should be taking it and it is benefiting you. That's not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about general multivitamin supplementation, the daily pill you take "just in case" your diet is missing something.

Taking a multivitamin to cover any weaknesses is a nice theory, but there's no evidence that it really does anything beneficial. Consider this study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22419320. In summary, 78 clinical trials were evaluated covering nearly 300,000 participants. They looked at supplementation of beta-carotene, vitamins, A, C, E, and selenium, and the effects on mortality. All of these compounds either had no effect on mortality, or in some cases, increased mortality.

I don't believe your multivitamin is going to kill you, my point, again, is that there isn't really any evidence that it's actually helping you. Thus, I think there is a better way to approach getting adequate micronutrients:

1. If you have any concerns, go to the doctor and get your bloodwork done. That will tell you for sure if you're deficient any anything.

2. Try to get sufficient micronutrients through your diet. Go over to nutritiondata.com and plug in a typical day's diet. This will tell you exactly where you're lacking, and you can search for foods that will bring your numbers up.

3. Try to fix your weak areas with your diet. If you look at my diary, you'll see that I eat a crapload of vegetables at lunch time. I get most of my micronutrients then, so I can eat ice cream or pancakes later.

4. If it's too difficult to meet a certain nutritional need through your diet, then consider supplementing only in the areas where you're lacking.

The above approach seems to me to be safer and more reasonable than taking a multivitamin every day. We all ridicule people for taking a pill to help with weight loss, but how many of you are taking a pill because you don't eat well enough?

Replies

• DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    There are reasons outside of mortality for taking vitamins. What do the studies say about increased energy levels? Skin and hair health? Eyesight changes over time?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    There are reasons outside of mortality for taking vitamins. What do the studies say about increased energy levels? Skin and hair health? Eyesight changes over time?
    There would be lots of variables though because it would be almost impossible to determine if there was any lack of vitamins in all foods taken in. Is someone going to test the food before it's eaten?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    considering the cost of a multi vitamin (CHEAP) and the fact that many days people eat poorly, I see no compelling reason not to take one
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I started taking glucosomine and fish oil because it was supposed to ease my muscles and joints while I worked out and it has really helped a lot. I mean a big difference if I haven't taken it in a while and I have soreness and a hard time recovering.
    I am interested to see more answers to this though, what I have heard during dateline or some main stream show is it can actually lower life expectency because people see it as a "catch all". I also have heard a cheaper vitamin is almost as good as an expensive one. There is absolutely no FDA involved so no accountability.
    I take a ultra active woman's one I got cheap at Sam's Club, but I am trying to get prego so need the folate.
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin, mostly for vanity reasons. My hair, skin, and nails seem healthier when I take it. It might be all in my head, but it's worth the few cents a day for me. I also take fish oil. I was advised by my doctor to try that for my hips (tendinitis as well as minor joint issues) before trying joint health supplements as the fish oil is much more budget friendly. So far, it seems to be healthy, but I can't be sure it's the fish oil (I've lost 20 pounds and I'm more active).
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder... I need to get away from the "umbrella" generic multi and move to a more specific greens supplement.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I eat incredibly well and take a multi vitamin every day. I can honestly tell when I do as opposed to when I do not. I do not feel bad when I do not take them, it just seems like I fee better when I do. There no way I can afford to, or consume, enough food to give me everything I need from food.

I also take Vit D and Fish Oil every day.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

That's a good question. It's probably difficult to study something as subjective as "energy level." As far as skin, hair, and eyesight, I would think that that would also be difficult to study, since they all naturally degrade over time to varying degrees, and are highly dependent on genetics.

I will say that if you're so deficient in micronutrients that a multivitamin makes you feel better, then either 1. your diet sucks and you should fix it, or 2. you're clinically deficient in something and should see a doctor.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I agree with Rock. I take a multi for the simple reason of that it "can't hurt" especially since I do alot of heavy volume training and unfortunately I don't eat alot of vegetables. I know I should though.

The best course of action is to eat foods that are rich in micronutrients over taking supplements. This will always remain true.

Good post Rock.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options
    considering the cost of a multi vitamin (CHEAP) and the fact that many days people eat poorly, I see no compelling reason not to take one

People should eat better
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I also take it because often to get the doses of a lot of macronutrients requires larger quantifies of food and increases caloric intake because those nutrients are attached to proteins, carbs, or fats in our food. I take a multi-vitamin pack (20 calories for the pack) and to get all of those nutrients from food may take thousands of calories in a day. While I do try to eat lean proteins, vegetables, fruits, and good fats, sometimes things are missing and to be honest, I feel like my body "runs better' while taking a multivitamin. If it's the placebo affect, so be it, but I think there is something to it.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

People should eat better

true

but until then.................
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options
    I started taking glucosomine and fish oil because it was supposed to ease my muscles and joints while I worked out and it has really helped a lot. I mean a big difference if I haven't taken it in a while and I have soreness and a hard time recovering.

The fish oil probably helped a lot more than he glucosomine. The evidence supporting glucosomine is weak at best.
    I take a ultra active woman's one I got cheap at Sam's Club, but I am trying to get prego so need the folate.

Why not just take the folate? Better yet, find out how much folate would be beneficial, and how much you're getting already.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options

People should eat better

true

Take a pill that makes you feel like you're doing something beneficial, amirite?
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options
    There no way I can afford to, or consume, enough food to give me everything I need from food.

So why not just supplement where your diet is lacking, rather than just taking a little bit of "everything?"
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

People should eat better

true

Take a pill that makes you feel like you're doing something beneficial, amirite?

I would love it if everyone ate better and there was no need for supplements of any kind. But that just ins't the world we live in
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options

Exactly. I had a friend in College who barely ate at all so she could be skinny. If she did eat, it was french fries and regular coke. But, she also took a multi Vitamin every day "to stay alive and well" so she said. A few years later, she had two kids who are super healthy and fine. I believe the multi Vitamin kept her alive.
  • WrenStory
    WrenStory Posts: 103
    Options
    I fall into the category of someone strategically focusing on specific vitamins, minerals & supps for a very specific reason. I'm currently repairing some damage I did to my body.

However, I also tend to agree with those who use a multi as a back-up. It's relatively cheap and there is no compelling evidence for or against... in fact, I would say there is more evidence leaning "for" it...

But I do also see the point in not using it simply because your diet sucks and you are unwilling to correct your diet. Diet trumps vits/supps, of course.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I don't take a multi-vitamin, but I do take vitamins for certain things I feel I can benefit from. But, I really don't see where it would hurt. I would use the gummy vitamins, if I did take one. Because I have heard that your stomach will digest the regular pill form multi-vitamin before it is broken down and used for all its benefits. Which is really a waste.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    On medical advice I now take Glucosamine Sulphate & Chondoitin Suplhate (a lot of folks here on MFP with joint issues all speak fairly highly of it as well as my Dr, Pharmacist(s), Physio and PT).
    Boots had a 3 for 2 New Year's offer.. well it seemed stupid not to take advantage so I also have Cod Liver Oil and Multivits.

I try and eat more healthily - I try and do at least 30 mins of exercise 5-6 days a week.

Do they improve health on their own? Well I seriously doubt it.
    But can they be included as SUPPLEMENTS to a newer lifestyle of eating right and exercising?
    Yes I think so... and maybe all that combined will improve my health.
    Is it MY money to spend on Boots 3 for 2 offers? Yeppers :tongue: