Do Multivitamins Improve Health?

Options

Replies

• WrenStory
    WrenStory Posts: 103
    Options
    I hesitated to include this on this thread because it's very specific...

I've done a lot of reading up on the B vitamins and some others to correct damage to the brain & body by prolonged alcohol consumption. I drank all throughout my 20's and into my early 30's, so I'm now correcting this damage.

What really concerns me is that the medical community in this country (and I do believe it's influenced primarily by Big Pharma, the gov, corps, etc) has failed the public. There seems to be great clinical evidence for correcting not only alcoholism... but mental retardation, mental disorders, alzheimer's and other disorders with vitamins & minerals. Niacin, thiamine, glutamine, fish oil... those are some big ones that do the trick.

Why are they not publishing some of this? Why did I have to dig to find it? Money. That's it. Plain and simple. Our economy is boosted by disease. And pharmaceuticals make money... vitamins, not so much.

Just keep this info in mind when you are debating this question...
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I also take it because often to get the doses of a lot of macronutrients requires larger quantifies of food and increases caloric intake because those nutrients are attached to proteins, carbs, or fats in our food.

Most of the micronutrients you need are found most abundantly in low calorie fruits and veggies.

Now, for folks eating 1,100 calories a day, I could see how this would present a problem...

When people use "most", "abundantly" , and other vague terms for quantities, I tend to not believe them. I would like to see a breakdown of how many calories it would take to fill a common mulivitamin such as http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/men.html.

You're going to have to do the research for yourself. As I said, I fixed my diet by going to nutritiondata.com and seeing where I was short. All I really needed to do was to double up on my spinach and broccoli and add some tomatoes, but it depends on what you're starting with.

Also, the amount of a nutrient that's in a certain multi doesn't make it the right amount.

Your last sentence is true; however, what makes you think the information provided to you by the website your keep stating is providing you with the right amount? I had a look and it doesn't look any different than other websites I researched while seeking what may work best for me.

However, I circle back to your initial question: Do multivitamins improve health? It seems as though you are strictly defining "health" by numbers of micronutrients you intake and making sure they meet the "100%" or other value incidated by your website. Some of us measure 'health' differently such as how how my body feels, how well it responds to infection, how well it fends off infection/disease, blood pressure, etc. Not just numbers on a website.
  • Silverstar46
    Silverstar46 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I've started taking a multivitamin chewable with iron and ever since I have - I can give blood again where for the last year of dieting I have been unsuccessful in my many attempts to get my iron up.

Now, in the last four months I have given twice and the only thing I have changed is that multivitamin. :)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Your last sentence is true; however, what makes you think the information provided to you by the website your keep stating is providing you with the right amount? I had a look and it doesn't look any different than other websites I researched while seeking what may work best for me.

However, I circle back to your initial question: Do multivitamins improve health? It seems as though you are strictly defining "health" by numbers of micronutrients you intake and making sure they meet the "100%" or other value incidated by your website. Some of us measure 'health' differently such as how how my body feels, how well it responds to infection, how well it fends off infection/disease, blood pressure, etc. Not just numbers on a website.

The website I listed uses the RDA

I originally defined "health outcomes" as "mortality," which is why I brought up the study. Meeting the RDA for micronutrients through food is, I think, a more reasonable alternative to broad-based supplementation.

If you want to offer information as to multivitamins improving immune function, blood pressure, or anything else, I'm all ears.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    The only deficiency I've ever had that caused noticeable harm was one in protein. That said, I have multi vitamins, but I can't seem to remember to take them-- I don't forget the protein supplement, though. The only people I could think of who would NEED a multi vitamin are people on a VLCD or someone who ate 3000 calories of *kitten* every day.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options
    I've started taking a multivitamin chewable with iron and ever since I have - I can give blood again where for the last year of dieting I have been unsuccessful in my many attempts to get my iron up.

Now, in the last four months I have given twice and the only thing I have changed is that multivitamin. :)

Women are frequently deficient in iron. But, why not just take the iron separately?
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to argue with your doctor. Ask you doctor what he/she thinks about you monitoring your micronutrition through your diet.

I wasn't trying to make my comment sound like a 'well my doctor said xyz so thhbth!!!' but now realize that it does. My question was rather a generic one about the prevalence of doctor's recommending multi-vitamins as a catch-all. How do you respond to that practice?

I mention as much because going to the nutrient search page at nutritiondata.com, there's a metric buttload of different nutrients listed. Even going with the defaults, they're all based on a 2000 calorie diet. Without doing a lot of research that most folks won't do (even though it would benefit them greatly), how would they know just how much magnesium or selenium they should be getting daily? Your proposed solution would certainly work, but how accessible do you think it really is to the general population?
  • jasonp_ritzert
    Options
    The website I listed uses the RDA

I originally defined "health outcomes" as "mortality," which is why I brought up the study. Meeting the RDA for micronutrients through food is, I think, a more reasonable alternative to broad-based supplementation.

If you want to offer information as to multivitamins improving immune function, blood pressure, or anything else, I'm all ears.
    [/quote]

Well, the Harvard School of Public Health seems to disagree with you.

"Read enough nutrition news, and you’ll see that not all scientists agree on multivitamins. Some say that there’s not enough proof that multivitamins boost health, so they don’t recommend them. It’s a short-sighted point of view. Other scientists point to studies that seem to show a link between multivitamin use and increased risk of death. But those studies are flawed. Looking at all the evidence, the potential health benefits of taking a standard daily multivitamin seem to outweigh the potential risks for most people."

As for the information regarding multivitamins and the other benefits you list, I do not have the time to do that research for you, but I encourage you to do that on your own to gain that information base. Good day to you sir and good luck to you on your healthy endeavors.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Women are frequently deficient in iron. But, why not just take the iron separately?

you are now getting into a psychological discussion

many people take vitamins as a result of advertising, feelings of safety and that stuff.....

I feel more comfortable knowing I have taken my multi but I know that in reality it isnt a cure all

but I take it anyway
  • jasonp_ritzert
    Options

A lot of women have difficulty taking a pure iron supplement because it makes them nauseous, constipated, etc. and having it mixed in a multi makes it easier on the stomach while reaping the benefits.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options

I wasn't trying to make my comment sound like a 'well my doctor said xyz so thhbth!!!' but now realize that it does. My question was rather a generic one about the prevalence of doctor's recommending multi-vitamins as a catch-all. How do you respond to that practice?

I know you're not asking me, but I recently spent about $600 on multiple office visits and a biopsy for a condition that was misdiagnosed and even worse, NOT diagnosed (i.e, i was told to "come back if it came back.") Finally, after much research, I diagnosed myself, called my GP and begged her to prescribe me a "trial" run of the meds used to treat it. She did. I'm fine. Multiple doctors allowed me to be miserable and in pain for 6+ months. They're not all as smart as we think they are. And/or, they don't care as much as they should.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options

many people take vitamins as a result of advertising, feelings of safety and that stuff.....

I feel more comfortable knowing I have taken my multi but I know that in reality it isnt a cure all

but I take it anyway

The point of relying on science is that my feelings are irrelevant
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

but I take it anyway

The point of relying on science is that my feelings are irrelevant

very few people have that level of self discipline
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Multivitamins can interfere with some prescription medications as well, so if you are taking one and on a prescription med, make sure your doctor knows.

For pregnancy, a lot of women struggle to even eat during the first trimester (sometimes "morning sickness" is all day long for months) so getting the necessary folic acid and iron for proper fetal development is a real challenge. Prenatal vitamins are very useful during this time. This would be a special case, obviously, but proves the point that something like multivitamins do have a purpose and do improve health at least in particular circumstances.

Generally speaking, I agree with Rock and others though. It's best to get your nutrition via diet if possible.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options

I suspect that the doctor is relying on theory that hasn't been substantiated in the literature. The theory that you can cover your nutritional backside with the daily shotgun approach sounds nice, but, again, there's no evidence that it actually improves your health, at least in terms of extending life expectancy.

A larger issue is that a doctor gets hardly any training in nutrition. Not to toot my own horn, but it's not really that hard to do some research and know more about nutrition than your doctor, unless he or she specializes on the subject.
    I mention as much because going to the nutrient search page at nutritiondata.com, there's a metric buttload of different nutrients listed. Even going with the defaults, they're all based on a 2000 calorie diet. Without doing a lot of research that most folks won't do (even though it would benefit them greatly), how would they know just how much magnesium or selenium they should be getting daily? Your proposed solution would certainly work, but how accessible do you think it really is to the general population?

I don't think most people are interested enough in their own health to do the research, even with all the tools we have available. My problem is that we're telling people that taking a multivitamin is a reasonable alternative, which isn't quite true.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I suspect that the doctor is relying on theory that hasn't been substantiated in the literature. The theory that you can cover your nutritional backside with the daily shotgun approach sounds nice, but, again, there's no evidence that it actually improves your health, at least in terms of extending life expectancy.

I don't think most people are interested enough in their own health to do the research, even with all the tools we have available. My problem is that we're telling people that taking a multivitamin is a reasonable alternative, which isn't quite true.

A fair point, definitely some food for thought. Thanks.
  • chefsugarmama
    Options
    Does anybody know the right amount of B12 to take on a daily basis?
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options
    Does anybody know the right amount of B12 to take on a daily basis?

It's not something you typically need to supplement unless you're vegetarian.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    All I really needed to do was to double up on my spinach and broccoli and add some tomatoes, but it depends on what you're starting with.

for a very large number of people that would be extremely difficult to accomplish if not impossible on a regular basis
    Why would it be difficult for a very large number of people to increase their intake of certain fruits/ veggies? Surely it's not that hard, or maybe they just don't want to put the time in?
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    If forums are anything to go by many US citizens are obsessed with 'vitamins' (one of the most misused words out there). Here in the UK there is far less emphasis on this, neither the medical profession nor the media push micronutrient supplements for all. Are Americans healthier or have a better nutrition status than Brits as a result of all this pill popping?

I don't know if it's the same in the US as here the UK (note that I work in lifestyle healthcare with the general public) but few here even know what all our official healthy eating guidelines are despite them being freely available online, fewer still adhere to them they seem to be seen as some sort of holy grail not minimums/ maximums. It really is not that difficult to eat healthily, people bang on about vitamin D being 'necessary' to supplement yet ONE ounce of some oily fish contains the full days intake. We are fooling and cheating nobody but ourselves.