Do Multivitamins Improve Health?

Options

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I also take it because often to get the doses of a lot of macronutrients requires larger quantifies of food and increases caloric intake because those nutrients are attached to proteins, carbs, or fats in our food.

Most of the micronutrients you need are found most abundantly in low calorie fruits and veggies.

Now, for folks eating 1,100 calories a day, I could see how this would present a problem...
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    here's the thing about "eating better." Due to soil depletion, over-farming and a host of other factors (GMOs, etc.), eating better (more vegetables, let's say) doesn't necessarily have the same healthy effect that it once did. That is, it is much harder to get all of the nutrients that once were found in abundance in things like spinach in the 60s. You would have to eat bunches and bunches more of the spinach to approximate the same nutrient density of spinach from the 60s. This is one of the main reasons why some health professionals (my doctor included), recommend a decent multi-vitamin.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options
    I fall into the category of someone strategically focusing on specific vitamins, minerals & supps for a very specific reason. I'm currently repairing some damage I did to my body.

However, I also tend to agree with those who use a multi as a back-up. It's relatively cheap and there is no compelling evidence for or against... in fact, I would say there is more evidence leaning "for" it...

But I do also see the point in not using it simply because your diet sucks and you are unwilling to correct your diet. Diet trumps vits/supps, of course.

hey you
  • WrenStory
    WrenStory Posts: 103
    Options
    hey you

Hey yourself :)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options
    I don't take a multi-vitamin, but I do take vitamins for certain things I feel I can benefit from. But, I really don't see where it would hurt. I would use the gummy vitamins, if I did take one. Because I have heard that your stomach will digest the regular pill form multi-vitamin before it is broken down and used for all its benefits. Which is really a waste.

A bigger issue is the form of the nutrient used (most multi's go for the cheapest form rather than the most bioavailable), and the amount.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options
    considering the cost of a multi vitamin (CHEAP) and the fact that many days people eat poorly, I see no compelling reason not to take one

People should eat better

true

but until then.................

Take a pill that makes you feel like you're doing something beneficial, amirite?

I would love it if everyone ate better and there was no need for supplements of any kind. But that just ins't the world we live in

So give them a solution that isn't a solution?
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    here's the thing about "eating better." Due to soil depletion, over-farming and a host of other factors (GMOs, etc.), eating better (more vegetables, let's say) doesn't necessarily have the same healthy effect that it once did. That is, it is much harder to get all of the nutrients that once were found in abundance in things like spinach in the 60s. You would have to eat bunches and bunches more of the spinach to approximate the same nutrient density of spinach from the 60s. This is one of the main reasons why some health professionals (my doctor included), recommend a decent multi-vitamin.

The point I think Rock was trying to make is people rely too much on supplements instead of trying to obtain their nutrients from whole foods which is always a better course of action. I'm not saying taking a multi and/or supplements is bad but don't use them as a way of not eating foods rich in those nutrients.
  • rubberbiscuit
    Options
    My doctor and my dietician both recommend that I take a multivitamin and calcium per day, so that's good enough for me. It was explained to me that it is very hard to take in enough vitamins through diet alone, especially when you are putting yourself in a calorie deficit. It's not doing any harm to take it, but it's probably doing me some good.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I take my supplements with food. I doubt my body can sort out the difference between food vitamins and pill vitamins.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options

As far as I know, the information on micronutrients would be for today's food. Are you suggesting that getting all or most of what you need from today's food products is impossible?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    considering the cost of a multi vitamin (CHEAP) and the fact that many days people eat poorly, I see no compelling reason not to take one

People should eat better

true

but until then.................

Take a pill that makes you feel like you're doing something beneficial, amirite?

I would love it if everyone ate better and there was no need for supplements of any kind. But that just ins't the world we live in

So give them a solution that isn't a solution?

I dont think the solution has ever been a secret. Today's society is NOW NOW NOW. Eating fresh fruits and vegetables is the way to go but how many fresh fruit and vegetable stands are available as opposed to Mcdonalds and Burger King?

I agree with your premise, but the reality is what it is.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options
    It's not doing any harm to take it, but it's probably doing me some good.

To say that a multi could do no harm I think would be incorrect. Vitamin toxicity can happen.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I take a prenatal multi vitamin because I tend to be low in iron no matter how I am eating, and for some reason my numbers have been better and with less uncomfortable side effects taking that, than taking an iron supplement standalone.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I don't take a multi-vitamin, but I do take vitamins for certain things I feel I can benefit from. But, I really don't see where it would hurt. I would use the gummy vitamins, if I did take one. Because I have heard that your stomach will digest the regular pill form multi-vitamin before it is broken down and used for all its benefits. Which is really a waste.

A bigger issue is the form of the nutrient used (most multi's go for the cheapest form rather than the most bioavailable), and the amount.

Tis true, which is one of the reasons they are so cheap.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options
    I take my supplements with food. I doubt my body can sort out the difference between food vitamins and pill vitamins.

Vitamins come in different forms that are absorbed by your body differently.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I also take it because often to get the doses of a lot of macronutrients requires larger quantifies of food and increases caloric intake because those nutrients are attached to proteins, carbs, or fats in our food.

Most of the micronutrients you need are found most abundantly in low calorie fruits and veggies.

Now, for folks eating 1,100 calories a day, I could see how this would present a problem...

When people use "most", "abundantly" , and other vague terms for quantities, I tend to not believe them. I would like to see a breakdown of how many calories it would take to fill a common mulivitamin such as http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/men.html.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Before I begin, if you're clinically deficient in a certain vitamin or mineral, and a doctor puts you on a supplement, then yes you should be taking it and it is benefiting you. That's not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about general multivitamin supplementation, the daily pill you take "just in case" your diet is missing something.

I had my bloodwork taken a few years ago after a scare with my heart; my doctor suggested I take a multi-vitamin among other things. I imagine a lot have similar recomendations for many of their patients (though I have no proof). What are your thoughts on that?
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options

When people use "most", "abundantly" , and other vague terms for quantities, I tend to not believe them. I would like to see a breakdown of how many calories it would take to fill a common mulivitamin such as http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/men.html.

You're going to have to do the research for yourself. As I said, I fixed my diet by going to nutritiondata.com and seeing where I was short. All I really needed to do was to double up on my spinach and broccoli and add some tomatoes, but it depends on what you're starting with.

Also, the amount of a nutrient that's in a certain multi doesn't make it the right amount.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options
    Before I begin, if you're clinically deficient in a certain vitamin or mineral, and a doctor puts you on a supplement, then yes you should be taking it and it is benefiting you. That's not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about general multivitamin supplementation, the daily pill you take "just in case" your diet is missing something.

I had my bloodwork taken a few years ago after a scare with my heart; my doctor suggested I take a multi-vitamin among other things. I imagine a lot have similar recomendations for many of their patients (though I have no proof). What are your thoughts on that?

I'm not going to argue with your doctor. Ask you doctor what he/she thinks about you monitoring your micronutrition through your diet.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    All I really needed to do was to double up on my spinach and broccoli and add some tomatoes, but it depends on what you're starting with.

for a very large number of people that would be extremely difficult to accomplish if not impossible on a regular basis