FYI: Detoxes and Cleanses are still junk

Options
124»

Replies

• infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    fasting and drinking water only for a month is the best type of detox... it allows your body to kill any bacteria.. because it does not need to focus on processing food and breaking them down.. etc etc..

LOLsies.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,132 Member
    Options

<snip>

^ That duck is awesome and belongs in every Dr. Oz or Dr Mercola thread.

oh, crap. I didn't think about it being that. But you're right. :laugh:

and/or sorry Dr. Songbyrd, I totally respect your opinion and stuff. :ohwell:
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    i use a doctors system through clearvite. It is all natural organically based and vitamin enriched. I think it helps me and that's all that mateers.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I did a great cleanse a time or two. I lost inches not weight. Now, I dont pay for cleanses, I do it NATURALLY. Juicing greens is a GREAT detox. I checked out a book from the library and tried some of the recipies and WOW did it "clean me out. No gimmicks, just veggies that naturally help your body get rid of junk. I eat pretty clean though. I try to "detox" every now and again but I'd rather spend "$40-$400 on VEGETABLES (organic ones please) than on man-made processed stuff!

What? Of course you're getting "cleaned out"; a sudden influx of high fiber fruits/veggies is going to make you POOP.
  • SayLiLIG
    SayLiLIG Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Looove this!
  • hayleycreates
    hayleycreates Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to see discussion on cleanses. For myself personnally, I wouldn't do one. The last thing I want to do is spend 3-5 days sitting in the bathroom yelling at my husband "PRIVACY PLEASE" as he comes even close to the door. Not to mention, I think it would hurt (if you know what I mean) Johnny Cash Syndrome.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    nevermind.
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Bump, so I can send to the next one of my friends who tries to get me to sign up for a cleanse. Pshhh
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    fasting and drinking water only for a month is the best type of detox... it allows your body to kill any bacteria.. because it does not need to focus on processing food and breaking them down.. etc etc..
    LOLsies.

It's not ENTIRELY ridiculous. When you fast, your body essentially does some housecleaning and recycles some of the tired bits of cells that it no longer needs that might otherwise contribute to diseased processes. It's called autophagy (literally self-eating).

Of course - it doesn't kill any bacteria to my knowledge and a whole month seems a bit long. A day or two periodically is what I've heard recommended, but to my knowledge this hasn't made it to the level of medical recommendation.
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    woooooooo!!! Fcck ya! Science bishes!!!
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Awesome post!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    great post best detox is probably the raw diet thats what i am doing only problem THATS A LOT OF FOOD!
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

#1 youre wrong.
    #2 You dont need to fast and you dont need to detox.
    #3 If youre not sick you want all the naturally occurring bacteria to thrive.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I'll take my detoxes & juicing over your cow's milk, antibiotic laden meats and pesticide drowned veggies
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'll take my detoxes & juicing over your cow's milk, antibiotic laden meats and pesticide drowned veggies

Lol
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Just give me your money, instead, and eat healthy foods and drink water.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

Say wot?

Your body NEEDS bacteria in your intestines. You don't want to be killing them off.

And your body can process food AND detox itself at the same time. It's kinda what it does. It's not as if your body has an EITHER/OR switch in it.

im sorry i didnt mean to say bacteria.. i mean to say damages done to your body

HUGE difference. Not just a typo - a category error.

Bt any way - now show how detox helps your body clear up the "damages done to your body". What damages - please be specific. How does detox help? Please be specific.
    here is a good article explaining what i mean by repairing damage done to your body

http://www.livestrong.com/article/52834-detoxification-fasting-diets/

Which just repeats the myths debunked in the OP. Got anything better? Like peer reviewed research?
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

False dichotomy.