Everyone here is so mean

Options
Hello new years resolvers of 2013.

You might notice that people here seem maybe mean sometimes, or snarky, or say things that make you sad.
Before you decide that these people are trying to make you sad, please consider that they may be trying to help you:

"TRY HARDER" is more motivating than "take it easy"
"YOU NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT" is more motivating than "you already look great"
"STOP WHINING" is more more motivating than "there there, bubula, cry on my shoulder"
"GET STARTED NOW" is more motivating than "spend a week coming up with a plan and see if you lose weight planning."

The journey of 1,000 miles starts with but a single step . . . in the right direction . . . and you'll get there faster if you run.

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    And the "mean people" are actually the nicest, most helpful people you'll meet on here.

Once you show them that you care and you're willing to listen - they will answer any question you have and go out of their way to help you.

Also, disagreement does not equal bullying.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Love this thread already.

*did not plan on that at all*
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    nice
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    No, you're wrong, they are mean.
  • _Xtine
    _Xtine Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Gah! I've been doing it all wrong!!
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    Hello new years resolvers of 2013.

You might notice that people here seem maybe mean sometimes, or snarky, or say things that make you sad.
    Before you decide that these people are trying to make you sad, please consider that they may be trying to help you:

"TRY HARDER" is more motivating than "take it easy"
    "YOU NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT" is more motivating than "you already look great"
    "STOP WHINING" is more more motivating than "there there, bubula, cry on my shoulder"
    "GET STARTED NOW" is more motivating than "spend a week coming up with a plan and see if you lose weight planning."

The journey of 1,000 miles starts with but a single step . . . in the right direction . . . and you'll get there faster if you run.

true story.....if someone seems mean ......take a look at their ticker...or their profile pictures....

sometimes they are being mean because they know exactly what it took for them to get there...
  • chubbybunny30
    Options
    Its a pet peeve of mine when people call something 'mean' when what they really mean is that they didn't want to be held accountable.

"Mean" is all about intent. If I say "You're horribly fat because you keep cookies in your house and you're going to stay that way" That is mean. I meant to insult the person, but if I say "You don't seem to be setting yourself up for success by keeping Oreos around. If you're serious about making a change, the cookies need to go" that isn't mean.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Man, I thought I was going to have to come in here and lay the hammer down.

But, NOOOOOO... OP is actually using sarcasm and being helpful.

:cry:
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    youre-mean-go-away.jpg
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Generally the "mean" people, some of which are on my friend list actually, are pointing out the obvious. They have the balls to say what too many enablers won't say
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    And for Pete's sake, use spell check. Those of us that have been here for a couple of years get a little punchy and snarky when we see the same misspellings time after time. It's enough to make my loose my mind!

Also, sarcasm is a second language here. You might want to master it. .
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Now all I can think of is ah-nold movies.
  • NatashaShen
    NatashaShen Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. Although I have come across some posts that are deliberately cruel. No one really needs to be told "You are so stupid. Your thought process is F*ed up". In that case just offer advice instead of being a sh*thead.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up. Keep on keepin' on.......................
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    I like all my "mean" MFP friends. I don't need things to be sugar coated for me. I'm a big boy now, I can handle it.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    And I just found the thread that inspired this:

-I keep eating junk, I need to be motivated to make better choices!!!

-You should stop eating junk for your health.

-YOU PEOPLE ARE SO MEAN!!
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    And for Pete's sake, use spell check. Those of us that have been here for a couple od years get a little punchy and snarky when we see the same misspellings time after time. It's enough to make my loose my mind!

Also, sarcasm is a second language here. You might want to master it. .

lol Was that spelling error a test? :laugh:
  • RocketsGirl
    RocketsGirl Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    don't spread lies about the mean people....they suck and you do not want them as friends.

I am keeping them all to myself. :tongue:
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    fck it