wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    i thought it was "whigning"

didn't we decide that?

no?
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Man, I thought I was going to have to come in here and lay the hammer down.

But, NOOOOOO... OP is actually using sarcasm and being helpful.

:cry:

Yeah it was a crappy move on my part . . . it seems like those folks are the ones who only want to see people that agree with them, so maybe this will trick those folks into reading it.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    It's true; there are a few meanies around here. I had an account from Sept to Nov but deleted it when somebody hurt my feelings (wah; boo-hoo). Then I started gaining weight and opened a n ew account. I feel rather foolish for letting one ill-chosen remark get me down. The poster may not have even meant it the way I took it.

My advice: take advantage of all the help and support you can get and let the rest evaporate. Chances are that the "mean" poster immediately forgot what he or she said, and you might as well do the same.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

didn't we decide that?

no?

:angry:
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    warm fuzzies for all :O)
  • orangelobster
    Options
    I hate to quote American pop culture and I'm not really an expert, however I will say this:

Isn't Simon Cowell's* advice about 100x more useful than those other two?

(*on American Idol and whatever that other new show is called)

He is mean, kind of, but he calls it like he sees it, and if he sees talent, he will say so....and you know you can take that to the bank.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options

didn't we decide that?

no?

:angry:

losen up :drinker:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I like the "mean" people...they don't sugar coat everything and tell you things that you only want to hear. They shoot straight and are honest and direct...recipe for success.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    ADD ME, MEANIES.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Saying "just do it" when someone is asking for strategies is not supportive nor tough love.

Saying "just do it" once in awhile is one thing, but what I often see here is people posting this platitude, then being cruel when the OP says it isn't helpful. It is not helpful. No platitude ever is. Some people just wanted a pat on the head and they shouldn't get it, but others are looking for steps to take.

I stopped smoking cold turkey, but I didn't just do it. I found things to replace my old habit, I avoided trigger locations, etc.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    And I just found the thread that inspired this:

-I keep eating junk, I need to be motivated to make better choices!!!

-You should stop eating junk for your health.

-YOU PEOPLE ARE SO MEAN!!

Yes, meanness is directly derived from common sense and/or a difference in opinion. True story.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    All I know is that when my little feelings get hurt, I ask myself, "What would Sam Elliot do?" Then I comb my mustache, wipe away my tears, man up, and get a pedicure. <---Stone-cold truth.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Unicorns and rainbows.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    warm fuzzies for all :O)

No. :angry: Warm fuzzies are the gateway drug of evil.
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Hello new years resolvers of 2013.

You might notice that people here seem maybe mean sometimes, or snarky, or say things that make you sad.
    Before you decide that these people are trying to make you sad, please consider that they may be trying to help you:

"TRY HARDER" is more motivating than "take it easy"
    "YOU NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT" is more motivating than "you already look great"
    "STOP WHINING" is more more motivating than "there there, bubula, cry on my shoulder"
    "GET STARTED NOW" is more motivating than "spend a week coming up with a plan and see if you lose weight planning."

The journey of 1,000 miles starts with but a single step . . . in the right direction . . . and you'll get there faster if you run.

NAW THOSE KIND OF PEOPLE GET DELETED FROM MY FRIENDS LIST FOR BEING NEGATIVE. i
    'M NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO THNKS THAT WAY!! I DO A HELL OF ALOT BETTER WITHOUT NEGATIVITY
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    True story, and the moral here is this: The people on here who have the least patience for BS, stupidity, and excuses, and have the greatest tendency to respond to such with sarcasm and attitude are often the people you want to pay the most attention to. They're the ones who have been there and done that, so when you take the advice of someone else who is still struggling to achieve their goals over theirs, yeah. You'll get looked down on. Deal with it.
  • anna262
    Options
    I just started today. Thanks for the heads up. I will take those phrases as motivation rather than "mean".
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I stopped smoking cold turkey, but I didn't just do it. I found things to replace my old habit, I avoided trigger locations, etc.

Great example! Let's do a quick scene:
    Person 1: [asks for help to quit smoking techniques]
    Person 2: [gives a good example like chewing cinammon sticks]
    Person 3: [says go cold turkey, tough it out ya wuss!]
    Person 1: [says that's not helpful and person 3 is mean]

For person 3, they are probably telling person 1 what they themselves had to do in order to quit - namely, calling themselves names, getting angry; also, they're trying to get person excited about stopping in exactly the same way.

I tend to believe in the whole 'don't look a gift horse in the mouth' approach. I say thanks to all, I take what I want and throw out the rest. Or, I mark their names down in a small notebook that I keep, under the heading "Enemies List," and wait for my time to come . . . mwwahahhhahah!!!!
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, i am fairly new to this site & i guess i haven't been here long enough to know what "mean" is....I just know that I love brutal honesty but i don't like personal attacks & being insulted.