Is anyone else doing the Atkins diet?

Options
12346»

Replies

• Tykk
    Tykk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I am doing low-carb. I'm not sure I lose weight any faster than doing a high-carb calorie restricted diet, but I do know that I'm less hungry. This, for me anyway, makes it easier to follow over the long term.

There is a theory that people react differently to highly refined carbohydrates. Some tolerate them fine, while in others they trigger outrageous food cravings that are very hard to resist. This may explain why we have different views on this kind of diet. For people who have problems with carbs, finding Atkins is an enormous relief.

A number of people in this thread have said that they did Atkins and then regained the weight, and I have to admit to being one of them. But how many people who lose weight any way at all regain it? Answer is about 99%. This is not a problem particular to Atkins.

To those who say they miss vegetables while doing Atkins, you unfortunately were not doing Atkins, because high volumes of vegetables are a big part of the diet. Meat is actually quite restricted, with recommended portion size of 4 ounces.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I had weight loss surgery in July 2012 and am on a low carb, high protein plan. No more than 40 grams of carbs per day and 80/90 grams of protein. I really don't count fat or calories.

Same here for me. I had WLS in August 2012 and I eat high protein, low carb. I've lost all my weight following a high protein, low carb diet with 80-90 grams of protein and 30-40 grams of carbs.

I also have Celiac disease so I don't eat grains anyway.
  • amandamychelle
    Options
    I started doing the Atkins diet this week, actually and so far, I feel really good. I lost a lot of weight on the South Beach Diet a few years ago and then regained it all when I had my first (and only!) child. I know that for my body, carbs are the devil and he and I are not friends! Not everyone's body has this relationship with carbs, but mine just does! I have to completely avoid them and when I do the weight just melts off, and I do eventually stop wanting them altogether. FREEDOM!
    I made the mistake of not reading the book first and not doing thorough research and spent a LOT of money on the bars and shakes only to find out from other Atkins users that they are NOT helpful in the induction phase, no matter what the box says. Everyone I've talked to or read about says using the bars (more so than the shakes) really caused a noticeable stall in their weight loss. Once they stopped using those products, the weight started coming off again.
    I am using the frozen Atkins meals though because they are convenient and only contain meat and veggies and they actually taste great! It's too early to tell if they stall my weight loss, but I'll let you know!
    Today I had one of the Atkins Tex-Mex Breakfast Scramble meals for breakfast. A colby-jack cheese stick as a morning snack. Lunch was the Atkins Primavera Sausage meal (very delcious!). Afternoon snack was zucchini slices with ranch. When I got home I had a mixed green salad with cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese and a grilled chicken breast with balsamic vinaigrette. Over the course of the day I have had 64oz. of water.
    I am using the iPhone Atkins Carb Tracker app in addition to MFP. I like MFP better but the Atkins app has a lot of good approved recipes on the app, and it's free. Definitely won't be replacing MFP tho!
    I hope that all of us will be checking back within the next 2 weeks and telling great induction success stories! :)
  • skinnyb2013
    skinnyb2013 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My sister just had weight loss surgery and she had to eat high protein snack bars and chips and shakes for one week then high protein shakes only the second week before surgery. She just had the surgery and is only doing clear protein liquids for 3 weeks then she will go back for support with eating correctly. I think that she will b on low Carb for a time before she goes to normal eating, but to be successful she will always have to do correct portions. She will be given support for a year to help her change the way to eat. I believe that the changes that have been made to Atkins makes it a good option.:smile: