How do you deal with comments on your loss?

Options

Replies

• lexielexie40
    Options
    I feel strange but delighted. Almost 9 years ago I lost 120 pounds and people continued to tell me today WOW.
  • CHRISTCENTERED
    CHRISTCENTERED Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Nothing's awkward about someone commenting on your achievements. It shoud be a motivator for you to continue, or they maybe wondering how you did it. Just say thanks and move on.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Positive comments are certainly better than people accusing you of being on drugs; that's what I get!
  • CHRISTCENTERED
    CHRISTCENTERED Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bathsheba, I was thinking the same thing, but didn't say it
  • blissfulself
    blissfulself Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    i get so embarrassed! I know people are being nice and honestly I appreciate it and like it later when I go home, but in the moment I get so awkward and don't know what to say. I prefer when people do it in a one on one setting or pull me aside, but I don't like it when they say it in a big group of people
  • Shellsmiley
    Shellsmiley Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    It depends on the context of it. I had this d-bag say to me, "Wow you're looking great! You're going to be a 10/10 when you get done." Which I told him to go f himself, but when someone genuinely tells me that my hard work has payed off and I am looking good, I say thank you.

EXACTLY! I was going to say its all in context. :) If someone is rude, I basically tell them to get k=lost but if someone is nice, I thank them! :heart:
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I say "Thank you so much!"

It wasn't until I could accept and embrace this type of comment that I've had as much success losing weight as I have.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    if someone takes the time to notice, and to comment positively, then i take the time to thank them.

thats it really

^^^ This
  • Northwest_Bob
    Northwest_Bob Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I vote with the "Thank you for noticing" group. After losing 30 pounds, it really showed in my face and in my clothes. I had to buy some new pants and belts because I lost 2 inches of waist. I am glad I did not do all this starving from nothing.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how it's rude. I love it! Recently people have really been noticing and have been asking me about it and it makes my day. I'm an attention *kitten* though.
  • transvenouspacer
    transvenouspacer Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    It was nice in the beginning- yeah people noticed! But after 7 straight months of losing weight (108 lbs) and having to have conversations every single freakin day about my weight, I'm TOTALLY over it. Now I just smile or say thanks and change the subject.

This. And I've only lost 30 pounds, can't imagine what its like losing 108!! Congrats!
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I say, "oh, okay." I hate when people comment on my physical appearance.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I say, "oh, okay." I hate when people comment on my physical appearance.

I'm with you. It's as if losing the weight, and therefore joining the 'socially acceptable range' (or aspiring to) gives permission for what you "weren't" to now be publicly acknowledged. There are some who are with me through it all, and they have free reign to notice and ask, and some who've been so respectful about it I've thanked them, but mostly it's poorly staged and disarming. I feel vulnerable, that's just my truth. For me it's mega-heavy deep and real, not a comment dropped in passing, or before I have to do something huge, or in public.

I've lost nearly 50 pounds, have 54 more to go, and the incessant comments is in my top three of destabalizing de-motivators.
  • emvanveelen
    emvanveelen Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I say thank you but it depends on who it is on how I feel. Sometimes it makes me feel awkward and uncomfortable. Sometimes I feel they are celebrating with me and I am happy they noticed!
  • amili045
    Options
    let it empower you!! Its an acknowledgement of your hard work :) I just say thanks then do a mental dance
  • princessanna2662
    Options
    You know what , I felt at first like they were saying I looked ****ty before, but now I realize the weight loss is only a piece of the change in me. I hold myself more confidently , smile more, present myself differently. I honestly think now that's what people are noticing first because I started getting comments only 15lbs in to my journey. I accept it now it boosts me up more I talk to them about the fitness accomplishments I have had, and ficus less on talking about the number! Best of all y successes are inspiring others too, so if me talking about it helps people make positive changes in their lives I am all for it!
  • jlsexson
    Options
    I always smile and say thank you. It's a huge accomplishment for me to lose a noticeable amount of weight. So, when someone notices I feel proud that my hard work has paid off.:smile:
  • NatsukoG
    NatsukoG Posts: 104
    Options
    I always thank people who pay me a compliment about my weight loss. The comment I find difficult to respond to is the one I get most frequently which is "you're fading away".

Thank you doesn't feel like the best response to this because, while it is probably intended as a compliment, the statement itself isn't really a compliment.

What I don't like is people asking me how much I've lost. I find admitting that I've lost nearly 100lbs embarassing. Probably because I'm ashamed of how big I'd let myself get.

The more annoying thing now is people thinking they can comment on what weight I should be ...which they never did before I lost the weight. I'm still in the 'overweight' BMI category but keep being told I'm overdoing it, becoming too skinny etc. I'm not - I can still 'pinch an inch' in plenty places :blushing:

Anyway, enjoy the compliments and well done on your weightloss.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I usually just get embaressed and profess that isn't a big deal. I haven't really found it that hard to lose weight up until the last couple of stone, so to me, it isn't something that is particularly amazing.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    With a smile and an air of smugness.