Do you log your binges?

Options

Replies

• acpatts
    acpatts Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I try to log everything. Seeing it in black and white is a real wake up call.
  • aminakhan1980
    aminakhan1980 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    No. I hang my head in shame and refuse to log them. I hate myself enough afterwords.
  • Justkritter
    Justkritter Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I do. Its part of what I ate. It would kinda be a cheat for me not to log it in.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I try to log everything. Seeing it in black and white is a real wake up call.
    Here here!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    yes every damn bite
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Yep. Every bite.
  • gabby365
    gabby365 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm not talking planned cheat days, but true binges, with all the guilt and make-up cardio that come with it. Do you log all the food? I've never binged in my life before MFP, but have been doing it more and more since December (stupid Christmas cookies and candy). I have never logged my binges mostly because I eat too much too quick to even remember. I binged again last night and actually logged the cals for the first time ever, it was horrifying, I'm really hoping seeing it finally in black and white will be my trigger out of this cycle. You guys?

Your diary is only as honest as you say it is... I see nothing wrong with it. I have done it myself... but you know since it isn't right, you have make up work to do
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    It depends on your motivation. If you find logging to be mentally exhausting and need to take a PLANNED break once in a while, I think it's fine not to log. If you binge eat and don't log it because you don't want to face the damage, I think it's a slippery slope to logging healthy choices and not logging anything you don't want to own up to. If you don't want to log it because you're afraid of your friends seeing it, either lock your diary or get new friends. I personally think it's most important to log binges- otherwise you have no way of knowing exactly what's going on with your diet.
  • kchang77
    kchang77 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yes, log EVERYTHING.
  • smousley
    Options
    I seem to be the only one on here that doesn't log my binges. I feel like seeing it written will make me feel way too guilty and I wouldn't be able to move on from it. The way I look at it, this is a lifetime journey, and some days are going to be better than others. I don't want to "shame myself" by making it public knowledge.

People may disagree with this, but it works for me...
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Yup, but I don't really "binge". I eat.
  • Andreinne
    Options
    I pretty much have the same thoughts as everyone else who already commented. I write it down because looking at it is "sobering" in a way. Helps make sure to keep the calories and the things i ate, all in perspective, and as a reminder not to do it again. Aside from all the calories ingested on a binge, having to write it down, and then working it off at the gym, is like a well suited punishment. =P (it's pretty horrifying to "indulge" as a binge on a slice of cake, and then realizing that it had 300 calories)

I feel like writing it down helps more than not writing it down. It helps make it real, and more of a one time thing, or at least it helps make one accountable for the calories consumed. If I don't write it down, it's like....I don't know, like I wouldn't be able to move on, and I might keep "indulging" in things I shouldn't. Not really as a way to shame myself, though, but to help me realize how pointless and empty those calories were.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I only log days that I do really well so that way every day seems like a success!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. I am in recovery and logging binge eating helps keep me accountable to myself. Sometimes I would lock my diary because of the shame I'd feel afterward...but a goal I have for 2013 is to stop doing that. The friends I have know I am recovering from bulimia, and they are extremely supportive and encouraging.
  • xxvogue
    xxvogue Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone that has said if the binges only started after you joined MFP you might have re-evaluate your goals.
  • primal7
    primal7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Yes I log my binges. It is reality.
    I also make notes on what is going on at the time. Like stress at work, home, etc...
    By doing this it helps me realize what might be triggering these binges and this knowledge might help avoid them in the future.
  • RockstarPunch
    RockstarPunch Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    if MFP is what seems to have triggered your binges (since you said before MFP you didnt binge) it'd take a break off MFP as a whole. re-evaluate why you came on MFP :indifferent: what made you want to start "counting" everything? was this just to see what works? then look at your food choices? what were your eating habits pre-MFP what are they during MFP? are you feeling restricted? are all your MFP friends supportive? critical:noway: ? restrictive? honest? Print out your logs+ progress charts when you take time off (i would take a week off). and tap into what is going on with:heart: you.

We as adults have to realize:glasses: what works for some people doesnt work for everyone, some opts are too restrictive, some are great in theory and provide no progress. You will do more damage staying :sad: on MFP with the same behavioral patterns, binging and restriction then :huh: you will re-evaluating your goals and taking an MFP vacation (leaving the guilt at the curb).

:flowerforyou: Also explore different ways to use the site if you decide to keep on.

> change friends list

> take log breaks (log weekdays and not weekends---or every other day)

> switch logs (log exercise only or water only)

> MFP shadow ( dont log anything and check out the groups and community forums---get some ideas---check out other sites too)

The most important thing is to make sure your okay, to make sure your healthy and that you put your health and healthy habits first*

I hope this helps:wink:

( btw when i first started on here i felt the same way and i would purposely binge and get to the point where i didnt care because i couldnt BREATHE with counting counting counting and feeling like i had to hit a margin and if i missed it i might as well make it count, until i first prayed and lamented why i couldnt be more disciplined* and put Christ first in guiding me through the journey (which was weight in a response to my neglected spiritual life) but in the mist of the journey i also learned that the most successful people on here took log breaks, made MFP there own and created their own goals and system of doing things and didnt allow the # to dictate what and where they were trying to go, the most successful had "cheat days---which were just days off (that now even Jenny Craig is doing* and by recieving that insight as a gift i dont feel choked out by MFP anymore, im losing weight and im full, happy, with days off and consciously aware of giving Jesus time in my day----This was MY journey, just wanted to share that you are NOT alone:flowerforyou:
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    YES! So the next time I'll think twice about bingeing. It works for me.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I have definitely had binges where I didn't bother logging.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I agree LOG. I can be a rude awakening, which is just what we need sometimes. I really liked the person/persons who said they make them selves go look up to log "before they eat/and or start a binge. I am going to use that idea. I may even enter & see what it does to calories nutrients. Ask myself "is it worth not being able to eat nothing else the rest of the day :sad: