Does anyone else loath running?

Options

Replies

• horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I used to hate running with a passion. I would have done anything else other than run. And then I realized, if I could take my biggest weakness and work on it, I'd be much better off overall than just improving on my strengths. So I've been running for three months, I'm by no means an awesome runner but I'm much better than I used to be and it's gotten much easier. I also like being able to do something that requires little equipment... I can do it pretty much anywhere, I don't need DVDs or machines or anything like that.

Next challenge: rowing...
  • Mary8751
    Options
    I don't like running at all, but I have to because I play full tackle football...
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    no reason to do it if you do t like it!
  • LaurasClimb
    LaurasClimb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I read this thread! I have never been a fan of running. Recently I have wanted to start but was having a hard time getting motivated. I have really been looking a C25K (but looking isn't the same as doing!)

I never thought to see if there was an app! Hello...downloading now, starting tomorrow. Thanks!
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I like running because its the fastest way to burn calories. You don't have to run fast. Start by walking and when you are warmed up just trot a little. then when you are tired go back to walking. You do that for aqwhil and in a few days you are runnig more and walking less!!

Basil
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I hate running without a purpose - I played soccer/basketball/softball all of my younger years - running to a GOAL, to get a ball, back a basket, running bases - etc.. I can do without a problem.. I just cant get on a treadmill and run a few miles SO BORING.

With that being said - because I no longer play sports.. I do HITT running outside, when the weather is good.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Nope, not me. I love it. I never run before in my life. I even hated walking. Now I love it.

I used to be one of those people who said "how can anyone find that fun? how can they enjoy that at all?"

Now I AM one of those people who love it, I love every step. Every bead of sweat I get in the sun. Every cold gust of air in winter. Every toned muscle I get from the hill I run up...... 3 times. Every 10km round trip. Every personal best. And the suntan to match it all.

Give it time or give up on it. Either you love it or hate it. If you hate it then you get no fun.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I think "loath" is a strong word. I think you should avoid running though.
  • suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Pretty much sums it up for me too. I tried to embrace it...I really did, but this body is just not cut out for it!
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Liftings so much better.... But i think to start to like running you have to keep making goals and progressing.. I used to hate it too.. I don't do it much now, but i don't dread it or anything. Also, try doing HIIT on when your running or something. I feel like it's not boring at all this way.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I was wondering because for some reason it is truly something I can't stand and part of me at times wishes I enjoyed it but I cannot get myself into it lol. I like the elliptical, walking, hiking, cycling/riding a real bike, even swimming, but running? No way jose! Anyone else feel this way???

I ALWAYS hated it--even when I was a child. But I have always loved the water so I do two hour-long sessions of water exercise every week along with weights and calisthenics in between.

I have a friend who says, "Running??!! Why would you want to do that if no one is chasing you?" :laugh:
  • xkdrowex
    xkdrowex Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I used to hate it. Then I got in shape and discovered it's a lot easier than I remembered and that it's the only thing that feels like a really great workout. Now I'm an addict.

This.
  • syrklc
    syrklc Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I enjoy brisk walking. You don't have to run ;) Unless someone is chasing you...:laugh: :laugh:
  • teneh
    teneh Posts: 39
    Options
    Yes, always before and during, but once you can run a little it starts to become more enjoyable (:
  • deedee303z
    Options
    I hate running. I wasn't good at it as a skinny athletic kid, I wasn't good at it as an athletic adult in boot camp, I'm definitely not good at it as an overweight over 40 desk jock.

I love to walk and hike and bicycle and all kinds of other things--just not running. And it makes no difference whether it is on a treadmill or outside. Just not fun. C25K didn't help that either.

And then there are the knees...two surgeries and way too many hours of physical therapy later...not interested.

I will walk for hours...just don't ask me to run.

ETA: FWIW, I can walk faster than I can run anyway. ;p
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I used to hate it. But then I realized I was letting it get the better of me. So, I made myself like it. Kind of like a weird Jedi-mind trick.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    My quote on my profile- Running is for when there is a fire and I don't see any flames.

Except, except....i REALLY want to play the zombie running game app......so I might try. But probably not. Maybe. Nah.
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Want to know what I love about running?

I love that it isn't required to get/stay fit and healthy.

If you hate it (I do), don't do it. You have lots of other things to do to be active!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I :heart: running, but if I hated it, I would NOT do it. For example, I loathe team sports, therefore I avoid them like the plague... When it comes to physical fitness, I only do things I enjoy. That keeps me motivated, instead of dreading workouts.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I tried it, really wanted to like it, hated it! It hurts my body to run. My knees hurt my feet hurt, it's just not my thing. Now put me on a bike and I could ride for days :)