Does anyone else loath running?

Options

Replies

• 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Me. Likely why I don't do it.
    DITTO.
    I don't like it all, therefor I don't do it.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i think I hate running too. I am trying c25k (day 1 week 2) I will see. I love the brisk walks in between the brief periods of jogging though :)
  • Prettyeyes46
    Prettyeyes46 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like running on the treadmill, but not so much outside. Treadmill helps me to go and makes me think I can go that fast when Im outside. LOL
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    A year ago I would have said "me, me!"

I started running last march to prepare for tough mudder. I have a weird condition where my femur is set into my hip turned in. This caused all sorts of problems- mostly twisting my ankle any time I ran. It generally made running an unhappy experience, until I found the right shoes. Today I ran 21 miles, and in March (less than a year from my first run) I will be running my first marathon.

Oddly enough, now I'm doing this because I've actually found running to be enjoyable.. "Fun" isn't the right word. When I run I have time that is all my own without distractions, and I love the fact that even at 40 years old, I'm able to condition my body to endure and push through physical barriers faster than I imagined was possible. I now have my sights set on a 50 miler (not until fall 2014.)

One thing I did prior to running was p90x- if you can get through plyometrics, you can just go out and run 3 miles right off the bat. That was a great feeling. :-)
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I am actually not allowed to run or do anything "high impact". Both my knees are bad from having dislocated both (yes, it hurt a lot) and the Doctor says running will just move me into artificial knees that much faster. Plus, he said there's no point to running when I can burn the same calories and get the same health benefits from doing a fast walk.

Currently, we're having the treadmill vs elliptical argument in our house for our exercise room redo. I want the treadmill, he wants the elliptical. I'll probably use it more... I win (or at least that's how I saw it)

Water exercise is fantastic for people with bad knees (like me). It may help you avoid knee replacements entirely. My knees are MUCH better since I started hitting the local public pool twice a week for an hour. I go to a class that is especially designed for those with arthritic joints or other joint problems. One old lady in my group (she's in her upper 70s I think) says that she has been coming to water classes for 28 years and has been able to avoid knee and hip replacement surgeries. I find that I need to keep taking my herbs but the water exercise has really added a lot toward keeping my knees in good shape and helping me to trim off pounds.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    btw, do the treadmill "hill" option and u burn twice as many as elliptical or bike. I did an hour today and burned almost 900 calories......
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Only time I enjoy it is when I'm sprinting for the bus, and I catch it. (which is all the time now since I lost 40lbs :bigsmile:)
  • clouxles
    clouxles Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Loathe is a rather strong word but... Sure my body does not like it. Biking.. Cardiovascular classes like kick boxing no problemo even an elliptical machine, but I run only if being chased.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I don't like running either. I also have a bad knee, but I didn't like running before I started having knee problems. Don't know what it is exactly that I don't like, just don't like it. I'd rather walk thank you!! :happy:

Exactly! I wish I had those training DVDs available before my knees started to act up. Maybe I wouldn't have loathed the running so much. Too late now.
  • careykid66
    Options
    Me too! I hate the feeling of not being able to breath.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Im the same way, ANYTHING but running, I just feel stupid doing it, either outdoors or at home.

Plus its boring, and there are lots of other things to do to burn the same amount of calories or even more!
  • fitnwhole
    fitnwhole Posts: 227
    Options
    I want to like it, but I end up uncoordinated and out of breathe :( Even when I try to pace myself I can only run very very short distances and it takes me longer than I was running to catch my breath and quit feeling like I have sharp pains in my sides.

I can go full out insanity or p90x and kick some booty!!! I can't run for 5 minutes :(

That's me ^^^
  • clouxles
    clouxles Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    btw, do the treadmill "hill" option and u burn twice as many as elliptical or bike. I did an hour today and burned almost 900 calories......

Was that with a HRM?

Same on elliptical all depends on how hard you push...
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Want to know what I love about running?

I love that it isn't required to get/stay fit and healthy.

If you hate it (I do), don't do it. You have lots of other things to do to be active!

I totally agree. The exercise that you love is the one you will stay with for life. And there is some kind of vigorous exercise that suits everyone. Swimming and water exercise is mine (I do the water exercise more often because it burns more calories for some odd reason.) I think I'm part fish---never do I feel so free as when I'm in the water.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed it until I had a major fall and had two surgeries to fix what I had messed up. So...now I can't look at anyone run without cringing just knowing what I went thru :(
  • cjvvus
    cjvvus Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Do not like running at all. That is why I don't do it. Nothing about it appeals to me, nothing. So, yeah I loath running.
  • candacekowal
    Options
    I do, I refuse to run lol big boobs are not great for everything lol

HAHA you are awesome! thats totally my problem too!!
  • DuhhMuffin
    Options
    Wanna know why I hate running?

I have huge boobs, and don't have a sports bra. They practically hit me in the chin when I run >__>
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I was in cross-country (1.5 miles at a time) in jr high. I also ran in local 5ks and stuff at that time. I never did get to like it. I do enjoy biking though. I enjoy banking around corners and doing wheelies. When I get tired and slow down pedaling or coast to catch my breath, I don't come to a dead stop. When I bust my butt to get up a hill, going down it with that wind in my face and hair makes it worthwhile. (Running down hills is freakin evil!) I get to see a lot more scenery too. And I don't kill my knees and ankles doing it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I also hate running, but I don't understand the reasoning for this post. If you don't like running, don't run. You even name-checked a bunch of activities you prefer to running. Why not just do those and shelve the hate?