Does anyone else loath running?

Options

Replies

• Dezmodus
    Dezmodus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    couldn't stand running, i would hit the treadmill only when i couldn't do anything else, but then i broke my treadmill (by running on it, ironically) and had to take it outside. I had to train for a zombie run and i kept at it long enough to start to like it. I dropped some money at target to buy a bunch of cold weather running gear and now i like my run days more than my regular workout days (i run 3 miles 3 times a week, i did 4 last time and hope to keep that going)

running is ME time, i can turn up my music, zone out and enjoy exploring the world around me. I've seen all kinds of cool stuff just running around my neighborhood.
  • ylor89
    ylor89 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I used to absolutely HATE running. Whenever I saw a group of people running, I'd think, "Nobody's chasing you! Stop running!" And I saw no reason as to why people torture themselves with running...

Well, when I used to live at home, my parents lived next to a school that had tracks. I ran one lap...and thought I was going to die! My heart was beating so fast that I thought it was going to pop right out of my chest! One lap became two...two became three...three became four. And four was a mile! I had never run a mile before! You know that runner's high people talk about? Boy did it feel good! I just wanted to keep running! One mile became two...which became three...and so forth. I've stopped running for about a year now, but I'd like to get back into it. I miss that high!

And the best thing about running was I had complete control over it. After a long day at work or going through something frustrating and overwhelming, I could at least "run" from my problems..for a half an hour or so. And it's great at clearing your head! :)
  • sarahmonsta
    sarahmonsta Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I also hate running, but I don't understand the reasoning for this post. If you don't like running, don't run. You even name-checked a bunch of activities you prefer to running. Why not just do those and shelve the hate?

This was unnecessary. =]
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    This thread is like a list of people I need to convert! :bigsmile:
  • sarahmonsta
    Options
    I it is awesome that some of you guys have found love in running!!! that app thingie sounds like it would be probably helpful! =]. Its nice knowing there are others out there that don't like running as well. I'll just stick to my other stuff. I think the only time I will enjoy it will probably be if there is ever a zombie apocalypse lol. :P
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I hate running. I hate it, hate it, hate it, HATE it so much that I curse it with every foul word you can imagine until I hit 5K into the run. Then something magical happens, and I don't hate it so much anymore. It makes me a terrible running partner for anyone who doesn't enjoy hearing a middle-aged woman spewing filth.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    When the zombie apocalypse comes, will you be laughing atop your stash of canned goods or groaning for moar brains? I rest my case, dear.

But also, endorphins, zen solitude, animal instincts; lots of really fantastic stuff wakes up once you get past a few miles at a time.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I only run when chased.
  • sarahmonsta
    Options
    Hahah you might be right =]. But then again I am a quick learner so I think I might be okay at least for a little while hahah =P.

That honestly sounds like it would be an intensely awesome experience! I still don't know if I will ever be a runner though lol. =]
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I also hate running, but I don't understand the reasoning for this post. If you don't like running, don't run. You even name-checked a bunch of activities you prefer to running. Why not just do those and shelve the hate?

This was unnecessary. =]

Unnecessary is my specialty. What's your excuse?
  • BiggTim
    BiggTim Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I used to like running until I got shine splints all the time :sad: now I just prefer to walk fast with ankle weights....
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    i think most people who hate it give up. lol. try listening to music, maybe it will take your mind off things. i for one love it, it's like mobile meditation for me.
  • sarahmonsta
    Options

This was unnecessary. =]

Well, to be honest I'd tell you but it say's no profane or vulgar language in forms so I guess I can't. Dang it. =]
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

This was unnecessary. =]

whats the problem?, its just a topic, if she wanted to ask other people she is welcome to do it. To each their own.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Hahah you might be right =]. But then again I am a quick learner so I think I might be okay at least for a little while hahah =P.

That honestly sounds like it would be an intensely awesome experience! I still don't know if I will ever be a runner though lol. =]

I didn't really read closely through all the posts, but have you tried couch to 5k, outside (not on a treadmill)? You can try with or without music, too, which makes the experience VERY different as you might imagine. Finally, make sure you're not running so fast that you're gasping for breath. At first, your cardiovascular system can be easily outstripped by your muscles in a sprint. Then, after you start getting acclimatized, your cardiovascular system can handle so much more that you can destroy your legs because you have ample oxygen and circulation.

It's not easy to get acclimated to running, by any stretch, but I promise if you can figure out the rubix cube it will pay you dividends in rewards.
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I am actually not allowed to run or do anything "high impact". Both my knees are bad from having dislocated both (yes, it hurt a lot) and the Doctor says running will just move me into artificial knees that much faster. Plus, he said there's no point to running when I can burn the same calories and get the same health benefits from doing a fast walk.

Currently, we're having the treadmill vs elliptical argument in our house for our exercise room redo. I want the treadmill, he wants the elliptical. I'll probably use it more... I win (or at least that's how I saw it)

You are going to burn more calories running than you will speed walking. Your doc should probably stick to writing prescriptions.
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I used to hate it but now I love running. I love what is does for my body and I love improving my speed each time!
  • funsiiz
    funsiiz Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I hate running...I just don't do it...there are many other alternatives to running....why do people run if they don't like it? I never could understand this. My sister in law runs and she said her back hurts neck knees everything hurts..why why why do you do something that hurts so bad....I just don't get it. I enjoy working out with no pain...of course theres the burn burn burn :) I love the burn:bigsmile:
  • IreneAdler221
    IreneAdler221 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I used to hate running until I did c25k. Then when I did my first race I knew I couldn't stop at one. I want to run farther and faster. I get really antsy now when I can't get out and run. I'm hooked!
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    Like many others I was not a runner but after losing my first 50 lbs I started the C25K program. Almost quit many times the first 6 weeks and took 6 weeks to complete the first 5 weeks of the plan but after completing week 5 day 3 (the first non-interval run on my plan) I started to enjoy it, felt like a runner. After completing the C25K I kept increasing my mileage and In just under 7 months after starting the C25K I ran my first half marathon, then another less than 2 months later.

Have kept running since and have scheduled 3 (maybe 4) half marathons in 2013 and my first full in October, along with various 5K & 10K races along the way. Along with some biking it's my only cardio. If you told me a year ago (I started the C25K 02/08/12) that I would have ran as much as I have and be having the schedule in 2013 I have, I would had done more than call you nuts, probably have committed you.

I agree that the best exercise is something you enjoy doing but sometimes you have to also push yourself to find what you enjoy and not give up after a few attempts. Like I said, I almost quit many times (like almost after every workout) those first 6 weeks. If I hadn't pushed myself I would have never discovered I actually enjoy it (and get my butt out of bed at 5AM 5-6 times a week).