Fifty plus (or so) support group

Options
So I invite committed mature men or women to link up with me/us. Ups and downs, highs and lows, cries and prayers are all welcome. My goal is to reach a goal. Lets make reasonable expectations for the next 10 weeks. Hope you feel welcome to join.

Replies

• turtle0022
    turtle0022 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm definitely 50+ with the gift of another year in the not-too-distant future. :) Having a birthday surely beats the alternative and as I remind myself, friends and family of that sentiment, it would be so nice to have the support of those similar to me, facing the same weight challenges as we work to get healthy, lose weight and all that entails. My decision to tackle my weight again was not a New Year's resolution, but the motivation came from hurt and anger... not focusing on that now... motivation in whatever form can be/turn into a positive thing and I'm running with that. Today wasn't my best start as I've been working to keep to my plan of getting up an hour early each morning to do an "activity." (I just hate exercise - so that's always challenging.) Feeling sore from previous days workouts, while I did get up, my ambition weakened and I never made it on the treadmill, but did some strength training instead on my Bean - but not nearly enough. So, as I'm looking to tomorrow - the end of my current "week 1," I'm working to refocus my attitute to get me back on the treadmill or something when I get home from work today.

I hope everyone has a super wonderful day, filled with great choices and enthusiasm. If not, as I'm telling myself today, forgive (myself) and forget. Each minute is a new beginning and provides a "do-over" opportunity. Happy Tuesday! :)
  • sugar297
    sugar297 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Is this still active? I am 53 and would love to join the group!
  • mizefish
    mizefish Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 and would like to join. Male, Seattle area. Trying to get from 250 down to something that starts with a 1!

• caroltyne
    caroltyne Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm 53... have spent the last 4 years slowly gaining the weight I lost at my most successful. I could blame the end of a 28 year marriage and an emotional roller-coaster - mostly spent in the dips.... but I wont.
    I'm just determined now, to take one day at a time and make the most of the amazing technology at our fingertips.
    I'm in New Zealand. Aiming to lose 32kg in approximately a year.

• unigoop
    unigoop Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    53 here need to lose 101 pounds.
  • jpnotler
    jpnotler Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hello there, i too have around 100 to lose, i am 50plus. Please free free to add me to your friends.
  • butbygrace206
    butbygrace206 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 and ready to lose, again. Our daughter is getting married in June and I want to be in pictures and not be embarrassed. I'm using the south beach diet plan. Starting out in phase 2 though. Glad to get started.
  • killeenc09
    Options
    Would like to join
  • unigoop
    Options
    I am planning on using this group for support.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hi there~ I'm 53 and shooting for 30 pounds and a bit. I'm back down 7.5 from my heaviest, but I'm really for this to be a lifestyle change rather than a "diet" All support and motivation is happily received ❤ Tami
  • laurieg933
    Options
    I 60 with 70 to loose. I certainly could use the friends and support. I am a widow and live alone so there's no excuse for falling off the wagon, but also no support either. I have done really well so far, but have a very long road ahead.
  • davebarron
    Options
    I am just turned 55 and retired. I lost about 50 pounds a few years ago - for health reasons - but have had the last 15 or so to get rid since then with no success. Every birthday, holiday, family visit, vacation, etc. seems to be an excuse to overeat, and then I have to lose those few pounds again. Could really use some motivation and support to get rid of the last 15.

A bit about me:

I aim to log everything I eat. I have to be brutally honest with myself or I go off the rails pretty quickly, like eating way too many cookies and bars at Christmas because it's a holiday and I am visiting family and not logging. Self discipline is key but goes AWOL now and then.

I am pretty good about cardio, but am looking into starting some sort of strength training. I live in rural northern Canada so there are no gyms near me - it's a 4 hour walk to the nearest store to buy milk :) But there is lots of free snow shoeing and cross country skiing in winter, and swimming and hiking in summer, and I have an elliptical trainer in front of the basement TV for bad weather days (like -32C last week!!)

As far as strength training goes, until I retired I was always in a desk job and never did any, and unfortunately it shows. Right now all I do is split wood for the fireplace - heating with furnace oil costs $800 per month in winter, so splitting firewood for heat saves tons of money and is my new part time job. Anyhow the wood splitting only takes about 15 minutes a day and the ax does most of the work so I haven't noticed any difference after a few months. I have purchased dumbbells but don't know how to use them and Google search returns a confusingly huge list. Oh well I have lots of time to figure it out :)

Please feel free to add me as a friend and tell me about you!

Cheers
    Dave
  • Mauigirl62
    Options
    Hi, 61 here and have 35 lbs. to lose to get down to a decent healthy weight (not my ideal weight because at 61 I don't think I would look good at the weight I was in college when I was 40 years younger!). I have lost 4 lbs. so far and already feel better. I am in this for health/energy reasons, although of course looking better is always nice. Glad to find some new friends in my age range and hope you will friend me. I am not a big exerciser but I am diligent about tracking my calories. So far I have been relatively good on this regiment and hope to keep it up! I retired in 2010 and was caring for my mom and then my aunt, both of whom eventually passed away (both made it to 91). I gained more weight while I was doing that due to stress plus I tend to drink a lot of wine. I find if I cut out alcohol, keeping to my calorie goal - which is only 1200 calories because I'm short - is not that hard. However, I was a daily wine drinker so that is a challenge!
  • unigoop
    Options
    Well just finished 6200 step walk still have lower back pain. Did not take Aleve donating blood after work. Been staying on track with calories feeling great. After donation get to go to my home group AA meeting then home for a lean cuisine and salad. Hope all had a
    great day!
  • Ewoks1
    Ewoks1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 51 (3 weeks shy) and have discovered since I hit the Big 5-0 I can't eat like I used to. I have gained 15 pounds in the past year...I'm not used to counting calories and watching what I eat, I need help! Please add me!
  • epicwriterno1
    epicwriterno1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone - just turned 50 on December. I am determined to lose 35 lbs. I need accountability help-- is this the right forum??
  • garnetann
    Options
    Hello, I am 54 and also found out I can't eat like I did when I was younger. I have about 15# to lose. Looking for support and motivation.☺
  • Sandcastles61
    Options
    Hi everyone~ Thinking I'll get things started on the motivation and sharing end of things today, LOL. When I weighed in Monday I was down 1 1/2 lbs, Woohoo! I'm working on slow and steady lifestyle changes so I'm not too focused on speed, just calories and keeping my macros in check. Carbs and fatty foods are my weakness, but what do you expect from a little Italian girl who loves to cook and bake LOL I've been really focused on preplanning, making good food choices and kept pretty much bang on with my macros! Quite a victory for me! My goal is roughly another 20~25 lbs.

I'm not much on the exercise end of things but I know I need to add at least one day of strength stuff....... Maybe next week HAHAHA. Actually for Christmas my boys put in a new attic ladder for me so I've spent a couple hours a day pushing 8' sections of wood up those skinny stairs and banging in a floor. I'm nearly done and then I'll build some shelving so I can clear out my garage..... It may not be formal weight lifting but believe me it should count for something?!?!!

Wishing you all a successful day on your goals..

Tami~ Pac NW
  • Sandcastles61
    Options
    unigoop wrote: »
    Well just finished 6200 step walk still have lower back pain. Did not take Aleve donating blood after work. Been staying on track with calories feeling great. After donation get to go to my home group AA meeting then home for a lean cuisine and salad. Hope all had a
    great day!

Awesome job on the steps! (And the "steps" ) Aleve is my very best friend too. Have a great evening!
  • Sandcastles61
    Options
    Hey there Mauigirl... You could be my sister LOL. I'm a shorty too and love a good glass of wine! A couple weeks ago I actually saved most of my calories for the day to have a couple glasses when we went out with friends. I'm shameless!