Fifty plus (or so) support group

Options

Replies

• k8andchr1smom
    k8andchr1smom Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    50 and would love to join too. And feel free to friend me.
  • jjnt007
    jjnt007 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I am 50 years old and would like to be a part of the group. I have 85 pounds to lose and just hired a personal trainer. Good luck to everyone.
  • mamamah
    Options
    About to be 58....and I am already 33 pounds lighter than I was 10 years ago. I am insulin resistant and pre-diabetic. The fight to get off 20 pounds has been going on for 10 years. I was exercising hard (like 1 1/2 to 2 hours a day) and eating right and still couldn't get past that point so I went to an endocrinologist. She has me on some medication now that keeps me from getting the "shivers" (my families name for low blood sugar) and now has me on some medication that removes sugar in my urine. I've lost 13 pounds since June without killing myself. Just got released by the doctor after shoulder surgery so I'm back in the game. I know how frustrating all this can be, and I've got other family members on here to keep me motivated, including my daughter and my niece who are in their 20s. But nobody knows how hard it is at our age unless they are THERE!

Count me in.
  • elliebelly1965
    elliebelly1965 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    misselly wrote: »
    So I invite committed mature men or women to link up with me/us. Ups and downs, highs and lows, cries and prayers are all welcome. My goal is to reach a goal. Lets make reasonable expectations for the next 10 weeks. Hope you feel welcome to join.

Hi ,I would love to join 50 on Saturday . Could do with help
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! So happy to see all of us 50ish friends banding together for support and motivation! Way to go for sharing your stories, successes and desires! I just have to say, I'm so inspired by you all
  • Sandcastles61
    Options

(Oops it cut off LOL! )

I wanted to say sorry if I've been a bit absent, but my adorable mom has been a bit under the weather. She was diagnosed with breast cancer a couple years ago...mastectomy, chemo, radiation, mastectomy revision earlier this year to try to resolve her ongoing pain and residual neuropathy.... She put her good leg up on the corner of her bed to put lotion on .... Bad leg gave out causing her to fall back and she cracked her head! Heavy sigh....

But I'm still on point with my food issues and I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a spiralizer! So excited for it to arrive. Obviously I love to cook and love to eat more or I wouldn't be here.... To tdavidson... I have the most amazing recipe for a pasta free lasagna❤ I'm Italian to the bone and my boys always insist on my family's century old lasagna.... But the first time I made it I only did 8 servings instead of 30 and they gobbled it up!!! Of course I sliced off the side of my thumb off on the mandolin, but that's another story Hahaha! Love to share and receive recipe ideas to make our adventure a little more fun! Oh!!!!! The chunky meaty low carb chili I made a couple days ago was a flavor filled success!!!

Wishing us all continued success with our upcoming weight~ ins.

Tami
  • unigoop
    unigoop Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I live in Lemon Grove, hard to stay away from Mexican food.
    Welcome ladies... Just star it as a favorite and chime in anytime! Hey tdavidson, I'm a west coaster too! SW Washington. Where abouts are you? There's one fella in Seattle too. (Go Seahawks! )

I used to do the special meals thing. But I always seemed to fail to keep it up since I live in the real world and am making this a healthy lifestyle change instead of a "diet" this time. I'm having better success just modifying my portion first then finishing out more normally what I would do for the guys. For instance if I'm making tacos or burritos... I might use ground Turkey or lean ground beef for us all, skip the refried beans and use butter lettuce or romaine to make mine a lettuce wrap while they get their taco shell or burrito wrap. Then I'll use low fat sour cream and cheese on mine and add salsa which is virtually a freebie!

Or if I make a pork roast with mashed potatoes and a veggie, I'll save back a portion of my carbs for a serving of the mashed potatoes and the rest of the meal is the same.

But the planning.... Some days I feel like my whole life revolves around food now when all I want is freedom... from the weight for sure, but also all the constant thinking about food and what you can have and when you can have it..... It's such a time suck :s

Hope everyone had a GREAT day! I'm off to get dinner on the table :)

Tami

Hey Sandcastle:
    I'm near San Diego, so the other corner of the West! :wink: I'm in for the Seahawks! My brother lives in Tacoma.
    I do a similar thing to what you mentioned, but on nights like lasagne or meatloaf, etc. I just have to do something completely different.
    Wow, this sure is easier on the computer rather than my phone! Whew. Did beef stew in the crock pot today, so we're all eating the same thing, I just can only have a couple of bites of potatoes... Just a taste, that's it! Oh, and I can forget about the cornbread I'm making! o:)
    G'Night everyone. Friend me!!! This is fun! I had no MFP friends before yesterday and now I have bunches! Love it!

• unigoop
    unigoop Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Well barely made it under calories today but I did. Still feeling good about myself. Need to start walking again soon would like to just make it to 15 pounds lighter to help with back pain. Hope everyone has a successful and good weekend.
  • SuzyH
    SuzyH Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be part of this group. I'll be 56 soon. My goals is to lose 15 pounds. I work out in the morning 6 days a week, but also work full time sitting at a desk. My goal is to log "everything"! My biggest downfall is when I get home and am starving. I know I need to plan for this in order to stay on track. Have really liked all of the positive support that I've seen on the precious posts. Have a great day!
  • danalynna1
    danalynna1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Love my Fitbit!! I'm 63 & down 8 lbs since I got it. I am slowly getting back into exerciseing since I broke my ankle 2 years ago. Been a slow recovery! Don't see a join button so hope the post is enough for joining the group.
  • butbygrace206
    butbygrace206 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 and ready to lose, again. Our daughter is getting married in June and I want to be in pictures and not be embarrassed. I'm using the south beach diet plan. Starting out in phase 2 though. Glad to get started.

• butbygrace206
    Options
    I am so new to this that I keep getting lost. LOL. I knew I posted somewhere but then couldn't find it later. Oh my word, I'm not computer savy at all. Someone asked how I am doing on South Beach and, thankful to say, I'm doing well. Three pounds down last week. I noticed a big difference in my belly, which is where you lose first with South beach. Will weigh again on Monday. The key, for me, is being prepared. Having veggies cut to grab when needed for a snack. Keeping cheese sticks and fruit to eat if I need something in between meals. Trying new things each week to keep it from getting boring.
  • SuzyH
    SuzyH Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    danalynna1 wrote: »
    Love my Fitbit!! I'm 63 & down 8 lbs since I got it. I am slowly getting back into exerciseing since I broke my ankle 2 years ago. Been a slow recovery! Don't see a join button so hope the post is enough for joining the group.

I've been looking at fitbits... do you have one that also tracks heart rate?

Also, butbygrace206 - I keep getting lost too! :smiley:
  • Sandcastles61
    Options
    Happy Saturday everyone! Love all the new faces and posts this morning. If you mark the little star bookmark it will save this thread as a "favorite" and let you know when new posts or comments are made :)

Everyone is doing so GREAT on their weight losses and motivation! So far it's been a good weekend.... I finally braved the pool, donned a swimsuit (for the first time in about 6 years, :s ) and spent an hour and a half last night leisurely doing laps! My son and I are going to make it a standing Friday evening treat!

Today my tenants moved into their new house so it looks like the next month will be spent painting, doing some landscape work and some minor upgrades to get it on the market... I'm a little tired of being a landlord, and the house and yard are just too big for me to keep going at it. But the good news is I will be getting lots of extra activity in... Oh joy! :D

Does anyone have great ideas for good for us game day food tomorrow?? I'm a little stuck for something I can take to the Super bowl party tomorrow....

Hope you all are enjoying your weekend <3

Tami
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Hi all, 53 yo female in Calif looking to lose at least 40+
    lbs. Think it's rooted in emotional eating which have tried to balance with lots of exercise (biking, swimming and trying to jog) but throw in health issues and aging and pow. Trying to find balance and health
  • katnat14
    katnat14 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi all, Glad to find this group. I'm a 53 yo woman in California and want to lose 25-30 lbs at 2-3 lbs per month and then maintain a healthy weight. I'm starting today and am new to MFP.

Cheers,
    Kat
  • RelentlessFierceWarriorBill
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'll join in !! 66 years old, and from Southwest Michigan. I've lost almost 50 pounds so far, and have a goal to lose another 10 pounds slooooowly. Left MFP for a couple months and just came back this week. Hoping to make some new friends, and follow along with your journeys. Bill
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    unigoop wrote: »
    I am planning on using this group for support.
    Happy Saturday everyone! Love all the new faces and posts this morning. If you mark the little star bookmark it will save this thread as a "favorite" and let you know when new posts or comments are made :)

Everyone is doing so GREAT on their weight losses and motivation! So far it's been a good weekend.... I finally braved the pool, donned a swimsuit (for the first time in about 6 years, :s ) and spent an hour and a half last night leisurely doing laps! My son and I are going to make it a standing Friday evening treat!

Today my tenants moved into their new house so it looks like the next month will be spent painting, doing some landscape work and some minor upgrades to get it on the market... I'm a little tired of being a landlord, and the house and yard are just too big for me to keep going at it. But the good news is I will be getting lots of extra activity in... Oh joy! :D

Does anyone have great ideas for good for us game day food tomorrow?? I'm a little stuck for something I can take to the Super bowl party tomorrow....

Tami

Tami

My food is done. Chicken sliders ( used sweet potato buns). Buffalo chicken chunks. Cheese/pepperoni sticks ( use a wonton, put a mozzarella stick and 3 turkey pepperonis inside and roll up) bake for 10 min. Yummy. Cheese ball. "Candied" almonds and cinnamon "sugar" chips. Even though is all made healthy, I will count every calorie. Tomorrow morning is weigh-in for me
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    Ooops, I didn't post that correctly. Oh well, still trying to figure this thing out.
  • fitgranny56
    fitgranny56 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 & want to shed weight also. Did it several years ago but this time it's so much harder. Welcome any comments.