What can I get for $1?

Options
124»

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    The point of the beans was the process of making them edible. I soak them overnight. The next day, for me I have to slow cook them to get the right texture. So it takes me a day and a half to get the beans edible. And yes, I mentioned only one serving size for calories because the other meals are also one time meals. Who do you know can eat a pound of cooked beans? I usually have to throw out at least half of the beans because I am the only one willing to eat them.

You don't have to cook all the beans at once. You can soak and cook enough beans for a couple servings. Or you could freeze the leftovers. Beans are very good for freezing. If you're throwing them out, you're wasting your time and money.
  • leahestey
    leahestey Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the website! I'm looking into cooking vegan anyway.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    We have a local grocery store that does dollar days. They put a lot of items on for $1.00, so during that week you can get a lot of healthy stuff for $1.00! Most days, not so much.
  • dembinskiblaker
    Options
    agreed!
  • ChrisC_77
    ChrisC_77 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    You can get a lot of fruit and veggies, etc for a dollar. When local farmers markets spring up, Abundant produce is practically given away. One day last year i got 5 skinny eggplants, 4-5 bell peppers of assorted colors, onion, garlic, grape tomatoes for around 5 dollars. At our winter market, one of the growers had a ton and I mean a ton of acorn and butternut squashes that were one the small side as they were end of season. 25 cents each. I got 8 each on 2 occasions since the store well. I got 4 white sweet potatoes for 1.50 locally at the winter market. I can go on and on. I get more variety on fruits and veggies at our town market which features several vendors for about half of the cost of the grocery store. Locally raised meat does usually cost a bit more, but I pay for it because I cannot support the practices of the mega meat industries which I consider to be unethical.

Also on a side not, the average family throws away about $2,000 worth of spoiled or uneaten food every year. So only buy what you are going to use and if something needs to be used soon, look up recipes that use those ingredients, make a soup, fruit smoothies, etc.
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    A dozen eggs, 960 calories
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Aldi is the ****. I spent $39 and I got tons of food that is healthy today. My most expensive item? M&Ms.

I got 3 grapefruit for .99
    2 cans of black beans for a tiny over 1
    Tuna is less than 1
    Bread is .99