Alcohol

Options
Is it safe to say that giving up alchol is a must do?

Replies

• Sharita0427
    Sharita0427 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

I don't agree that its a must do. At one point in time I lost close to 100 lbs & never gave up alcohol and I never will. You just have to be cautious. You can actually track your alcohol intake with MFP. Simply calculate into your calories and well as anything you mix it with.
  • devan44
    devan44 Posts: 130
    Options
    I hope not!! I still drink beer but I just make sure I count the calores. The problem is if I drink too much I end up eating a whole bag of doritos.... just sayin. MODERATION :)
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    No, it isn't a MUST do, but there are some, whom find it easier when they do. It is an individual decision.
  • eAddict
    eAddict Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I ain't giving it up. Just tracking it as I do everything.
  • Sharita0427
    Options
    No, it isn't a MUST do, but there are some, whom find it easier when they do. It is an individual decision.

I couldn't have said it better myself.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options

No, it isn't safe.

Saying something like that could cause chaos.
  • griffga1
    Options
    I track my alcohol intake with MFP. I did give up beer, but still drink rum, vodka, wine, etc.
  • xSkinnyMinnyx
    xSkinnyMinnyx Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    lol@spade
  • Sharita0427
    Options

No, it isn't safe.

Saying something like that could cause chaos.

I agree 150%... its already getting chaotic! Lol
  • carly_am
    carly_am Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Nope.

But what I found is using up calories with alcohol rather than food your priorities change. Either that or you (ahem, I) continuously go over your cals every weekend, ruin your weeks hard work, and then your priorities change!

I happily drink still, and usually include it in my days cals. And when I don't I bare the consequences...

Good luck to you :)
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Depending on the program you follow... there are many studies showing how alcohol will negatively effect muscle recovery, building, etc.

Not to mention, alcohol has a LOT of calories.

I used to drink like a college student on the weekends, and even though I was burning 3500+ calories a week, I wasn't losing weight, this past weekend was my first weekend NOT drinking 'heavy', and honestly I feel a lot better for it.

By no means am I saying stop, but maybe keep it low if you're worried about it? Or adjust your calories for it and have fun :D just find that happy medium.
  • Stdavis53
    Stdavis53 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Don't give it up if you are a person that can drink in moderation. I personally have found that I don't drink as much beer and go straight for shots. A "good" beer can be upwards of 150-200 calories a bottle. A shot is usually between 55-75 calories. Easy decision for me :)
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

No. Giving up LOTS of it is, though
  • _reno_
    _reno_ Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Alcohol does a lot of things that will make it harder to lose weight.

1) it has a lot of calories
    2) it causes the body to store fat more easily
    3) it reduces testosterone (not a good thing for someone trying to build / maintain lean body mass)
    4) it stimulates appetite and reduces cognitive thinking leading to poor food choices
    5) a few hours after consuming alcohol becomes a stimulant which messes with your sleep.
    6) Alcohol inhibits muscle recovery after hard workouts

I drastically cut my consumption of alcohol, and I believe it was one of the main contributors to my weight loss

Plenty of people loose weight with out giving up alcohol. You have to drink moderately, and be aware of the downsides.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Not a must. Unless you have a serious problem with over consumption.
  • runs_in_heels
    runs_in_heels Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I hope not!! I still drink beer but I just make sure I count the calores. The problem is if I drink too much I end up eating a whole bag of doritos.... just sayin. MODERATION :)

THAT. only i drink vodka with soda water. and it's not a bag of doritors, it's ruffles...

yeah. the alcohol is generally not what makes me gain weight, it's the not-quite smart food-choices I tend to make while/before/after drinking.
    (i know in college i'd carb-load before a drinking night, and then have pizza when i got home, and then hangover-pancakes the next morning...)
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    No it's not safe, but always drink it out of a sports bottle!
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Alcohol definitely slows down my weight loss a bit, but I don't think giving it up is a "must do".

However, I have found that limiting my drinking to weekends only (e.g. no drinks for 5/7 days) makes a big difference. So if you're the type of person I was that would have a glass or 2 of wine with dinner consider cutting it out!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    If it fits into my calories then I drink it.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I think drinking in moderation is okay. I didn't realize that some flavored vodka can be pretty high in calories though. Was shocked when I went to log whipped cream vodka. 133 calorie in a 1 oz shot of pinnacle whipped cream vodka! ridiculous. It looks like other flavors of vodka aren't as bad though.

I drink a glass of wine some nights. If I go out, I'm definitely drinking and it's usually like 3 drinks. I've still lost 24 pounds.