Vegan Diet

Options

Replies

• _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for thoughts and comments. I am going to try to transition to vegan and see how i feel after a few weeks. i still have chicken and turkey in the fridge. i will eat that this week and next week still have the dairy and eggs but no meat, then week after give it all the boot. Another question is eating too much soy bad for you?wondeing because i will probably be doing soy yogurt n cheese unless theres other options. kinda clueless any imput on this please.

Many consider soy controversial, but I personally don't think so, particularly if it's a part of a varied vegetarian diet. Soy has a long history of use in Asia.
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for thoughts and comments. I am going to try to transition to vegan and see how i feel after a few weeks. i still have chicken and turkey in the fridge. i will eat that this week and next week still have the dairy and eggs but no meat, then week after give it all the boot. Another question is eating too much soy bad for you?wondeing because i will probably be doing soy yogurt n cheese unless theres other options. kinda clueless any imput on this please.

I use soy but sparingly, because I am limiting fat and soy products can be high in fat. Tofu for example is 54% fat...granted its the "good kind" but I am limiting all fats. I think unless you have a soy sensitivity or eat nothing BUT soy you shouldn't have an issue!
  • thevegangladiator
    thevegangladiator Posts: 33 Member
    Options

I use soy but sparingly, because I am limiting fat and soy products can be high in fat. Tofu for example is 54% fat...granted its the "good kind" but I am limiting all fats. I think unless you have a soy sensitivity or eat nothing BUT soy you shouldn't have an issue!
    there nothing wrong with soy just a lot of soy is GMO so just buy organic soy stuff but i would stay away from soy protein isolate that bad stuff lol
    i follow pretty strict lowfat vegan diet and i use tofu in some of my dish i make.
    and if your looking for a cheese i would only you daiya vegan cheese is the only real vegan cheese all the others have Casein protein found in cows milk which is bad lol
  • DianeVukovic
    Options
    I am a vegetarian of 15+ years, so obviously I think that going veg is great. But I won't address the moral issues here on a weight-loss forum.

It annoys me that, the the mainstream media, vegetarianism is being advertised as a weight-loss diet. Even PeTA started using "lose weight" as a way of turning people veg in their billboards.

Vegetarianism is NOT a weight loss diet. It isn't even really a diet. It is a lifestyle.

I know plenty of junk food vegetarians who are certainly not any healthier or slimmer for not eating meat. (read http://vegetariansupplementsguide.com/blog/even-vegans-can-be-fat).

Vegetarians do tend to be much slimmer though. The reason, I hypothesize, is because they have to read the ingredients on all processed foods they eat. Thus, they are pretty aware of all the scary, unhealthy crap which is loaded into our food so make healthy choices by default.

Good luck!
  • sublimechik28
    sublimechik28 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    definitely reading labels. i wanted to buy the boca patties but they use cheese or egg whties in them. thats not helping the cause here lol im gonna try and make my own or just eat portabellas those are delish. pretty excited about trying this out. hope i can stick with it!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    definitely reading labels. i wanted to buy the boca patties but they use cheese or egg whties in them. thats not helping the cause here lol im gonna try and make my own or just eat portabellas those are delish. pretty excited about trying this out. hope i can stick with it!

I'm delighted to hear you are giving it a whirl! I love portabellas. Also, try Gardein burgers. YUM!
  • misslauren88
    misslauren88 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    How do you have your fitness pal calibrated for a vegan diet? And where do you go to change those settings? I just started being vegan myself a couple of weeks ago and so far I love it! Sure there's more prep involved, but the food is just as delicious and just as plentiful and I like to cook so I haven't found it to be a problem. When you don't feel the need to consume animal products any more, there's nothing to it.
  • misslauren88
    misslauren88 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Just as something that might be helpful, I have the Uncheese cook book. It's full of recipes for different cheese substitutes. I could share a few recipes if you'd like.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Do it if you want?
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

boca makes vegan patties, they say VEGAN on the box. Most of boca's vegan products say it on the front, like their nuggets.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

I laugh everytime I hear someone say soy is bad for you. Likely you're already eating some soy. Also eating animal hormones and sick meat is probably doing more damage than eating a bit more soy would do.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Love living this way ... no regrets! Join our Happy Herbivores group for helpful info! :flowerforyou:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It's your choice, and completely up to you. Who cares what anyone in this thread thinks about it.
  • LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You're going to receive a lot of hate from people for this post, sadly. Any posts on this topic seem to get bashed for no reason usually. It usually also ends up way off topic.

It's your decision so don't let others make you feel badly for wanting to try something. Different things work for different people. I went vegetarian a year ago, then vegan 8 months ago and I LOVE it and feel a whole lot better. Before that, I had lost weight and eaten healthy/clean and maintained that weight loss for 3 years, so feeling even better after giving up meat, dairy, and eggs was directly related to the change in diet. It takes a couple months to start feeling the difference. I say if you're interested, just TRY it. Do a trial period before making your decision.. and do what's best for YOU, not what everyone else wants you to do.. whichever diet/lifestyle you decide on. I wish you the best of luck! If you have any questions, feel free to message me.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have tried a vegetarian diet while I liked it , it did not like me and I did not feel well on it. That is me, I know many healthy vegetarians and I know some that are very unhealthy. Too much cheep carbs is not good for anyone. Good luck and good health!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If you want to do it, go for it. I hope you have done a lot more research than just reading off this forum though so you can ensure you are getting the things in your diet that your body needs. You probably do a decent job of that with the foods that you are familiar with, but since you are 'pretty much clueless' about going vegan, you'll really need to look into it. Good luck!
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    i think we had the same netflix queue this weekend! my husband and i watched a few documentaries over the last couple of weeks and have started doing some research. my husband was very affected by the china studies on plant based diets and is working to cut down processed foods, meat, and dairy. we had already started juicing two weeks ago to add more veg and fruits to our diets (in addition to taking our multivitamins) and have started trying dairy alternatives and more animal-friendly options. in addition to being healthier and more animal-friendly, vegetarian and vegan diets lessen one's carbon footprint. los angeles county has instituted meatless mondays (even in public schools) in an attempt to lower the area's carbon footprint. even the UN has recommended meatless mondays.
  • Hi dear! My name is Nikki and I've been a raw vegan for 6 months. And a vegetarian for 4 years before that. Before you listen to all these junk foodist vegans and pro-meat "body builders" hear it straight from someone who did veganism the RIGHT way. I went vegan for spiritual and health reasons.

A healthy plant strong diet that's balanced can help tremendously with weight loss and many other things. My cousin went vegan in August and has lost 70 lbs. My boyfriend has lost 130 lbs in a bit over a year due to the switch!

I've cured all my intestinal problems I had (irritable bowel syndrome and acid reflux) and lost 25 lbs having a BF% of 19% compared to what it was at about 27%.

If you try vegan do not DO NOT do the boca burger morning star fad, it's a total joke and full of processed chemical crap!!!

Fresh fruits, fresh veggies, chia and hemp seeds, beans, rices, squash, potatoes, flax, almond/coconut/flax milk (steer clear of Silk soy products they're loaded with extra fat and calories).

Add me, we can talk more! :)
  • Also watch Forks Over Knives!
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    As someone who loves animals, I assure you that Vegan diets are dumb as ****. It doesn't matter what your foods sources are, as long as the macro. and micronutrients are there, in sufficient quantities, and you're drinking sufficient water.

Here is what we share with herbivores that carnivores do not.

- Our intestines - carnivores & omnivores 3-6 times body length, herbivores(and humans) 10-12 times their body length
    - Our saliva. Carnivores do not produce saliva to aid in digesting food
    - K9's. Our K9's are similar to other herbivores K9's, not carnivores K9's (or teeth in general.
    - facial muscles - carnivores have reduced facial muscles to allow for wide mouth gape, we along with herbivores do not. (along with multiple other "jaw" reasons
    - chewing - carnivores swallow whole (or don't chew they tear), humans need extensive chewing - just like herbivores.
    - Stomach acidity - Carnivores and omnivores PH1 or lower, in humans PH 4-5 same as herbivores
    - colon - simple, short and smooth in carnivores and omnivores. Herbivores - long, complex and sacculated
    - liver - carnivores can detoxify Vitamin A - herbivores and humans can not.
    - kidney - extremely concentrated urine in carnivores and omnivores. In herbivores and humans it's moderately concentrated urine
    - nails - carnivores and omnivores their nails are actually sharp claws. In herbivores and humans - flattened nails or hooves.

Even apes who eat meat are still 98% vegetarian. btw you can add omnivores to any of the carnivore list I did not - they apply, I just got lazy. To call the vegan diet stupid is to call common sense for what our body is designed for "stupid". which kind of sums up mankind I guess... :)