Vegan Diet

Options
12346»

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    As someone who loves animals, I assure you that Vegan diets are dumb as ****. It doesn't matter what your foods sources are, as long as the macro. and micronutrients are there, in sufficient quantities, and you're drinking sufficient water.

Here is what we share with herbivores that carnivores do not.

- Our intestines - carnivores & omnivores 3-6 times body length, herbivores(and humans) 10-12 times their body length
    - Our saliva. Carnivores do not produce saliva to aid in digesting food
    - K9's. Our K9's are similar to other herbivores K9's, not carnivores K9's (or teeth in general.
    - facial muscles - carnivores have reduced facial muscles to allow for wide mouth gape, we along with herbivores do not. (along with multiple other "jaw" reasons
    - chewing - carnivores swallow whole (or don't chew they tear), humans need extensive chewing - just like herbivores.
    - Stomach acidity - Carnivores and omnivores PH1 or lower, in humans PH 4-5 same as herbivores
    - colon - simple, short and smooth in carnivores and omnivores. Herbivores - long, complex and sacculated
    - liver - carnivores can detoxify Vitamin A - herbivores and humans can not.
    - kidney - extremely concentrated urine in carnivores and omnivores. In herbivores and humans it's moderately concentrated urine
    - nails - carnivores and omnivores their nails are actually sharp claws. In herbivores and humans - flattened nails or hooves.

Even apes who eat meat are still 98% vegetarian. btw you can add omnivores to any of the carnivore list I did not - they apply, I just got lazy. To call the vegan diet stupid is to call common sense for what our body is designed for "stupid". which kind of sums up mankind I guess... :)
    A good biased path to full blown orthorexia and further disordered eating because personally that's what I think being vegan is, with the exception to the population that do it for ethical reasons and understand it's shortcomings.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I have been strictly vegan for exactly the reasons you gave in your initial post. The video evidence and information on “best practice” is out there for people to access if they wish to; enough said on that.

So far (three weeks) I have never felt hungry, as there tends to be more fibre and carbs in a vegan diet if only to get the proteins up, and I am not missing dairy – well no – I’m missing cheese, but over indulging on cheese was part of what got me fat in the first place. I’m not missing flesh as I was vegetarian before my move to a vegan diet.

I don’t feel weak, if anything I am feeling far more energised and I am seeing progressive strength gains and fat reduction.

It’s early days for me to say I love it – more like “it’s ok, I can do this”. What I would strongly recommend is you make sure you are getting enough B12, iodine and selenium which are all available in a daily chewable (vegan) supplement.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    As someone who loves animals, I assure you that Vegan diets are dumb as ****. It doesn't matter what your foods sources are, as long as the macro. and micronutrients are there, in sufficient quantities, and you're drinking sufficient water.

Here is what we share with herbivores that carnivores do not.

- Our intestines - carnivores & omnivores 3-6 times body length, herbivores(and humans) 10-12 times their body length
    - Our saliva. Carnivores do not produce saliva to aid in digesting food
    - K9's. Our K9's are similar to other herbivores K9's, not carnivores K9's (or teeth in general.
    - facial muscles - carnivores have reduced facial muscles to allow for wide mouth gape, we along with herbivores do not. (along with multiple other "jaw" reasons
    - chewing - carnivores swallow whole (or don't chew they tear), humans need extensive chewing - just like herbivores.
    - Stomach acidity - Carnivores and omnivores PH1 or lower, in humans PH 4-5 same as herbivores
    - colon - simple, short and smooth in carnivores and omnivores. Herbivores - long, complex and sacculated
    - liver - carnivores can detoxify Vitamin A - herbivores and humans can not.
    - kidney - extremely concentrated urine in carnivores and omnivores. In herbivores and humans it's moderately concentrated urine
    - nails - carnivores and omnivores their nails are actually sharp claws. In herbivores and humans - flattened nails or hooves.

Even apes who eat meat are still 98% vegetarian. btw you can add omnivores to any of the carnivore list I did not - they apply, I just got lazy. To call the vegan diet stupid is to call common sense for what our body is designed for "stupid". which kind of sums up mankind I guess... :)
    You've already been corrected in another thread, but carnivores certainly DO produce saliva, in large amounts. And stomach acid in humans has a pH of 1, not 4-5. Humans are most certainly omnivores, as we've evolved to eat and digest all foods. We've been meat eaters for a few million years now.

We've also been cooking food for a few million years, which is why raw veganism is a terrible idea. Not veganism, but raw veganism, our body just isn't adapted to digesting a completely raw diet anymore.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Oh, and numerous studies have come out in the last few years demonstrating that plants have nervous systems, feel pain, and even communicate using pheromones. Yet vegans have no problems taking knives and slicing and dicing (still living) plants. I'd call that a double standard.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Oh, and numerous studies have come out in the last few years demonstrating that plants have nervous systems, feel pain, and even communicate using pheromones. Yet vegans have no problems taking knives and slicing and dicing (still living) plants. I'd call that a double standard.

Any assertion made without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    Try not to humanize animals

I agree - we, including vegans, should not humanize animals. They are not cuddly wuddly animals put on the earth for our pleasure.

However, I feel that every living being has the right to the basics of life - enough space to live and move around, ability to bond with siblings and peers, ability to forage and to die, either at the mercy of the quick kill of a natural predator or – if humans insist on keeping animals for meat – quickly and definitely at the time of slaughter and not the unacceptable process we have, and largely prefer not to think about, currently adopted.

Agreed – animals are not humans – but they still feel pain, feel fear and have far more emotional intelligence than we as animal consumers care to admit to.

NOTE: this is in direct reply to the quoted poster above and not meant to be a general soapbox moment.
  • tigersword
    Options

Any assertion made without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/06/090619171244.htm

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2010-07/study-unveils-plant-nervous-system-illuminating-how-plants-remember-and-react
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    OK - but plants are not held in captivity and subjected to cramped living areas, made to suffer ill health and chronic pain and then killed with electric shocks and throat cut and hoisted onto a chain conveyor belt while still alive.

Sorry for the graphical description but these are the facts.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian, a vegan, and a raw vegan over a 20 year period. I was healthier as a vegetarian than I was as a vegan and raw vegan, but I've never been healthier than I am now since re-incorporating animal products into my diet. I had a number of issues with hormone imbalances and brain chemistry imbalances that were quickly and easily sorted out by changing my diet back to one that included animal products. And before anyone asks, yes I was supplementing and eating a varied diet. It just wasn't right for me. I feel the soy and gluten was especially bad.

I still eat lots of veggies--I just have meat and animal fats with them now.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    OK - but plants are not held in captivity and subjected to cramped living areas, made to suffer ill health and chronic pain and then killed with electric shocks and throat cut and hoisted onto a chain conveyor belt while still alive.

Sorry for the graphical description but these are the facts.

Not held in captivity? We have farms everywhere!

Not just that ,but they have no chance to escape, and have to watch as their brothers and sisters are mercilessly harvested!.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I follow a vegetarian diet, but I have followed a vegan diet as well. I love it. I like the challenge of coming up with new dishes to make. Vegan doesn't mean healthy though- there are vegan processed foods out there that aren't good for you. I prefer a "clean" vegetarian/vegan diet- I tend to drop weight faster and keep it off when I follow that kind of eating style. I also have a lot of energy and just don't have that "bogged down" feeling. I think too many people jump into it without reading up about it, so then they think they have to live on tree bark. You need to keep a close eye on what you are eating to make sure you are getting your necessary macros and nutrients. I also recommend a good multivitamin, because there are a few vitamins that vegans can be lacking (especially new vegans). Do some reading and research on it before diving in, and try changing slowly, by weeding foods out one at a time and finding suitable replacements for your favorites :)

I 2000% agree with this. Please do research and speak with your PCP. I wish you well on your journey.