The Truth about Wine...?

Options
12346»

Replies

• Hollisss
    Hollisss Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My friends and I once tried the Skinny Girl wine...just no. If you can manage your calories well you can afford enjoy the better things in life.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    don't bother with Skinny Girl or Weight Watchers or any 'low-cal' brand wine. It's a bit of a con. Basically they are low alcohol wines, and any low alcohol wine will have similar calories. So if you chose a 9% wine from a eputable winery, you'd get the same calories but better taste.

Having said that, it's incredibly difficult these days to find a wine that is less than about 13% alcohol content. The calories come from the alcohol, which is based on sugars.

I have started to have a small liqueur after dinner. Maybe a glass of Port, Strega or Grand Marnier. It satisfies my desire for a drink, and I rarely want more than one.

What you may need to ask yourself is (and I say this as someone who can happily drink a bottle) - WHY are you drinking a bottle of wine a night?
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    When I get a bottle, I tend to drink it over the course of 4-5 days. Enjoy and savour it!
  • squidbully
    squidbully Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It only takes me a glass and a half to get drunk, ne ner ne ner ne neeeeeeeer.
  • tleeiiiii
    tleeiiiii Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This is a big problem.for me. I used to try to limit to once a week (a bottle) but it would rarley work. I would have wine with friends duri g the week and then always feel like i had to drink again on saturday.. because its saturday . My boyfriend started having a glass of whisky every night.. and then so did i.. because why not? One turned into 2-3 ...
    Nkw i stopped drinking , trying to go for 1 bottle every 3 weeks (rewarding with champagne) i have a bottle waiting for me next week a d i cant wait!

It was hard at first , but its getting easier(its only been 2 weeka) haha
    I find other things to do with friends (getting nails done.. movies) and stay in on saturday nights. Im finding that to be helpfull.
  • mklassy123
    Options
    I will open up one bottle of wine a week, and have it over three days, this equals 1 1/2 to 2 glasses each night. I choose carefully which nights I will savor my wine! I love red wine. I try to drink the more complex wines as they are easier to sip and take longer to drink. Some of the Pinot Noirs are too light and too easy to gulp (in my opinion). When you can sip and savor the wine, you just don't need to drink as much. Wine starts to deteriorate as soon as it's opened up. Three days MAX for a bottle of red before it turns, yet ask many wine people and they say red wine cannot be stored once it's opened. Many people I know say they keep an open bottle of red wine for a week.

I also believe that having a glass of wine with dinner makes you eat slower, therefore eating less. The key is moderation. If you take away your wine (if you are a wine lover), you will be miserable.

What I didn't mention is that when I go out with friends or with my boyfriend, I drink red wine - so I'm having more than one bottle a week (yet I limit myself to once a week drinking out).

The OP mentioned a recently developed love affair with red wine. Give it a little time, get the newness of the love affair out of your system and then you will be able to sip it and enjoy it, drink less of it. The same thing happened to me when I first started my love affair with red wine. I could drink a half bottle or full bottle of it (be rip-roaring drunk) and kept wanting more. That luckily only lasted for a couple of weeks and I learned to just enjoy a glass or two, and not daily.

You can take away my chocolate, but don't ever try to take away my coffee or my red wine!!!!!!!!!!!! :love: