Keeping it to yourself??

Options
Hi

Just wondering if anyone else is keeping this quiet? I haven't told anyone in my real life what I'm doing, I'm just hoping to quietly lose some weight. I think it's to avoid pressure really, and I want to do it for me rather than anyone else.

I'm just curious as to whether I'm in the minority - I get all my support on here!!

Replies

• mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Trying to keep your goals to yourself from the people closest to you will never work. Support is a MAJOR factor in weight-loss, and to be frankly honest MFP isnt full of the "best" supporters.
  • kaylacyr123
    kaylacyr123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am doing that as well. I like it better that way, I don't want to deal with anyone's judgements. it is YOUR body and your decision to get healthier. It is a good idea to use a forum for advice, support and motivation but work towards getting that self motivation from within!

Good luck :)
  • kaylacyr123
    kaylacyr123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Trying to keep your goals to yourself from the people closest to you will never work. Support is a MAJOR factor in weight-loss, and to be frankly honest MFP isnt full of the "best" supporters.

I agree with you and it would be nice if everyones family and friends were supportive. But sometimes the people in your life aren't and can be judgemental and not very supportive/ negative energy. As much as it is important to distance yourself from such people and influences it is not easy to do.
  • erinpooh
    Options
    Family knows, but no one at work really does. I just prefer to keep this private.
  • soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I did in the beginning when I started last year but eventually people seemed to catch on after the first month because my eating habits changed. Unfortunately, some that did figure it out were kind of negative at first (i.e. calorie counting doesn't work, who does that? can you really do that for the rest of your life though?) but with each passing month and seeing the results of MFP working got them to be quiet. :-)
  • glittersupernova
    glittersupernova Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I can understand your desire to keep this goal to yourself. I mean, while I agree with others that it is important to have a supportive environment of people...I, personally, do not always enjoy when those around me attempt to "help" me with my diet by analyzing how I go about losing weight/getting fit. We each have our own way of accomplishing our goals and sometimes people try to impose their methods onto a person they care about because they have had their own successes with their method. I welcome suggestions but sometimes get frustrated if a person does not respect my own choice of method.

Ultimately, I think it would be a good idea to have even a small group of supporters--let in those who you feel would not hinder your progress/journey :). I have the right people rooting me on and for those who don't entirely know my fitness plans--they will eventually see the results for themselves!

Best of luck to you!!
  • erinpooh
    Options
    Because of my height, I'm not sure anyone notices much difference.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I'd say keep quiet at work, I've heard horror stories about people commenting on everything someone eats.

I'd also keep quiet from anyone whom you think would be unsupportive and share with those you think would be supportive, from your family and friends.
  • karenann1989
    karenann1989 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm keeping it quiet because I've tried so many times before that nobody takes me seriously anymore. I'm sick of the eye rolls when I tell people close to me that I'm going to try to change my habits. I figure one of these times I will follow thru and the most important thing is that I'm trying......
  • rockangel8907
    rockangel8907 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I can understand your desire to keep this goal to yourself. I mean, while I agree with others that it is important to have a supportive environment of people...I, personally, do not always enjoy when those around me attempt to "help" me with my diet by analyzing how I go about losing weight/getting fit. We each have our own way of accomplishing our goals and sometimes people try to impose their methods onto a person they care about because they have had their own successes with their method. I welcome suggestions but sometimes get frustrated if a person does not respect my own choice of method.

Ultimately, I think it would be a good idea to have even a small group of supporters--let in those who you feel would not hinder your progress/journey :). I have the right people rooting me on and for those who don't entirely know my fitness plans--they will eventually see the results for themselves!

Best of luck to you!!

Amen. I have a few family members and a few friends who know, support me and are on the same journey but I don't need all 400 of my fb friends to know I'm losing weight.
  • erinpooh
    Options

Best of luck to you!!

Amen. I have a few family members and a few friends who know, support me and are on the same journey but I don't need all 400 of my fb friends to know I'm losing weight.

I'll post on FB f I make a milestone (fitting into old jeans) or have a big workout. Just recently I posted the results of my Stair Master workout.
  • rockangel8907
    rockangel8907 Posts: 429 Member
    Options

Best of luck to you!!

I'll post on FB f I make a milestone (fitting into old jeans) or have a big workout. Just recently I posted the results of my Stair Master workout.

Oh that for sure, just not stuff like "kicking off my new diet (I hate the word diet anyways) today, bikini here I come!!" type statuses. I'll share my triumphs, not the dirty journey like some. I have friends who update that they are going to the gym, update while at the gym, then update that they finished a super hard workout and post everything they are eating...or not eating...
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Not me. If I could, I would hire a sky writer to print it up in the sky for all to see. I am not a very private person. Also, I love the encouragement and support I get. The few who don't care or are actually unsupportive, I ignore. Otherwise, I shout it from every mountain top!!!
  • ClassicPearl
    ClassicPearl Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm doing p90x, but I'm not telling everyone I'm doing it.

In my experience, I have learned to keep what workout program that I'm doing a secret. When I tell everyone, "this is what I'm doing...", I find that I quit easily. Weird, right?

But if I tell people, "I already completed so and so workout program", then I did it already.

There was an article I read about that. If you tell people what you're going to be doing, that you're less likely to do it, but if you do it, well then you've done it.
  • ClassicPearl
    ClassicPearl Posts: 141 Member
    Options
  • tracylouise42
    Options
    i have told a few , but am scared to say. I have tried to lose weight so many times.... and i am an excuse chick.... but i am sharing the site with people who i feel will benefit. i am going to mexico in 12 days.i had time to shed pounds ... but had excuses... i used a father inlaw illness to not commit to weigth loss... so i am excited-dissappointed and worried about the photos of myself in my stupidly purchased skimpy bikinis.... but there... i know i will be mocked.... and pretend i don;t care... but i do. i just want the weight gone asap. , and i am so scared to turn to extreme panic mode in the next 12 days thinking i can shed 10 pounds before i go....
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Somewhat. In the past, when I lost a buttload (literally) of weight I was one of "those" people! lol I now see "those" people on FB and in real life and think DEAR GOD find another topic PLEASE! I don't CARE that you took a dump and lost .27oz!!
    I decided this time I would NOT be that person. I may casually mention something about a recipe I tried or something like that, but for the most part....no. I work in an office of 3 people. My boss and another coworker. The coworker is trying to lose weight and get healthy too. Actually, she's the one who motivated me..but NOT by talking constantly about how she was doing or what she was eating. I was very inspired by just simply observing her habits. I decided THAT'S the person I want to be. She and I share stories, accomplishments etc. and my immediate family knows, but no one else needs to know. If they ask, I will tell.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I did not tell anyone until people started noticing and asking about it. I don't know why, I just was not comfortable discussing it. My family knew what I was doing, but my employees and other people not as close, I did not tell. Of course after a while, people start to notice and you can't avoid it! I know a lot of people say that you should tell, so that will help motivate you to stay on track. I think I was afraid to talk about it because I did not want people to know if I failed.
  • jzebracki
    jzebracki Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Any time I am trying to lose weight or be healthier, I try not to advertise it and make a big deal about it. That way, you quietly go about your business and then when you are down 20 or 30 pounds, someone will likely say to you - oh, you have lost weight and you look great! I enjoy that rather than everyone *****footing around me and trying to "help" me by not inviting me out, etc. With that said, it is good to have a little support from a spouse or best friend, but if he/she isn't having the same struggle as you are, they can't relate. The people on here are taking the same journey and having the same issues. They understand.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Hi

Just wondering if anyone else is keeping this quiet? I haven't told anyone in my real life what I'm doing, I'm just hoping to quietly lose some weight. I think it's to avoid pressure really, and I want to do it for me rather than anyone else.

I'm just curious as to whether I'm in the minority - I get all my support on here!!

Are you really keeping it secret to "avoid pressure"? Or are you keeping it a secret because you (like many of us) have been down this road a thousand times before and you're afraid of the backlash if you aren't successful? Not judging anyone who feels that way, I did too. But once I recognized the real reason I wasn't telling people, I had to adjust my thinking to adress that. Once I believed I really could do it, the rest was gravy.