Keeping it to yourself??

Options

Replies

• TheRightWeigh
    TheRightWeigh Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Trying to keep it to myself...just let it happen. However, people have caught on extremely early. Since I am SO obese, I expected nobody to be able to tell until like 50-100 lbs lost. I've only lost 20 or so...and gained some back (hence the 13 lbs lost ticker). However, I've gotten a lot of comments and questions about it. I just say I'm trying to watch what I eat... I mentioned it to a friend or two earlier...but they didn't take me seriously, now they're amongst the ones asking..."are you...doing something?"...
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I told hubby, and his besty....some of the guys at work know I am counting calories though. I am embarrassed to have weight to lose so i am not broadcasting it.
  • roselover58
    roselover58 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Family knows, but no one at work really does. I just prefer to keep this private.

Same here - my husband knows, and is very supportive. People at work know I am trying, but I don't give them updates.

I'm waiting for the day I hear, "Wow!!!" from my workmates.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I have been on here for over a year, it has been my experience lots of people do that.

And MFP has lots of GREAT supporters! Now do you get them in the forums? No. but you find people that are supportive and friend them. These forums are not very good to spend to much time on IN MY OPINION. But getting a good friends list with like minded people totally rocks.

Good luck. You can do this and when people start noticing they will say something and it will be what we call an NSV (non scale victory)

L
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Nobody know I am trying to lose weight, I lose very slowly anyway so it is not anything dramatic. I have great support here and that is all I need.
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Keeping losing weight to yourself? Or counting calories?? Mine are both pretty known.. By the few people that im really close to.
  • explodingalice
    explodingalice Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hi

Just wondering if anyone else is keeping this quiet? I haven't told anyone in my real life what I'm doing, I'm just hoping to quietly lose some weight. I think it's to avoid pressure really, and I want to do it for me rather than anyone else.

I'm just curious as to whether I'm in the minority - I get all my support on here!!

I was quiet about it to all but a very few people until it became obvious. Now people want to talk to me about it all the time. :/
  • buella85
    Options
    I think it all depends on you and your personality. If keeping it a secret motivates you more than sharing it then go for it! I brought my boyfriend and sister in by having them create their own lifestyle goals so we are working toward our goals together.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Hi

Just wondering if anyone else is keeping this quiet? I haven't told anyone in my real life what I'm doing, I'm just hoping to quietly lose some weight. I think it's to avoid pressure really, and I want to do it for me rather than anyone else.

I'm just curious as to whether I'm in the minority - I get all my support on here!!

Yep, I tried to do exactly this. My husband was aware, of course, from the beginning. And my brother joined MFP around the same time so we have supported each other, though not through the site.

I had the same thoughts - if I don't tell it, no one will see me fail, if that happens. BUT - I didn't fail! And as soon as people started noticing, the pressure turned way up! It has caused some minor but annoying and ongoing dramas with the women at work. I haven't found a great deal of support from my women friends or coworkers that I'm close to, so unless someone asks me directly 'how much have you lost, how are you doing it, what is your workout routine?" etc, I don't bring it up or discuss it.

My mom and husband are supportive. My mom is a health nut so she has some good suggestions; my husband is not doing it with me, but doesn't try to obstruct me in any way. And I have my brother's support via text message, so I'm good!
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Trying to keep your goals to yourself from the people closest to you will never work. Support is a MAJOR factor in weight-loss, and to be frankly honest MFP isnt full of the "best" supporters.

Wrong answer!

If keeping it to yourself came naturally to you, it's probably what is going to work best for you.
    I know from my life's pattern that when I don't broadcast my new goal or venture, that's how I know I'm serious.
    When I walk the walk instead of talking it, I get the best results!

Good luck to you on your journey!

Agreed!
  • kaylacyr123
    kaylacyr123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Trying to keep your goals to yourself from the people closest to you will never work. Support is a MAJOR factor in weight-loss, and to be frankly honest MFP isnt full of the "best" supporters.

Wrong answer!

If keeping it to yourself came naturally to you, it's probably what is going to work best for you.
    I know from my life's pattern that when I don't broadcast my new goal or venture, that's how I know I'm serious.
    When I walk the walk instead of talking it, I get the best results!

Good luck to you on your journey!

Agreed!

I also agree with this :D
  • Donica_Marie
    Donica_Marie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Keep it to myself feel like people that know will try to sabotages you or just want too see you fail or judge you when you slip up.
  • nursemarie162
    Options
    im keeping my weight loss goals a bit hush hush as well, I completely understand what you mean about feeling the pressure. I am losing weight for myself and using my mfp family as support.
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    When I first started, my husband knew what I was doing, but I didn't talk about it too much. Everyone saw that I was making different food choices, but didn't say anything to me. Not sure if they were interested or not- and really didn't care. I was doing it for me, and if they were gonna judge, they were gonna judge- regardless of what I did or didn't do.

Either way- you are doing this for you. Don't let anyone stop you or make you feel bad for wanting to be healthier. Good luck!
  • MDawg81
    MDawg81 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I've told my parents and a few close friends, but I haven't made it really public knowledge that I'm trying to lose weight, again. Like has been said, this way there's less pressure to be perfect.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Yup, no one outside of my closest friends + family even know I lift, I cover it up well when in public (hoodies, loose shirts, dress shirts etc).
  • panicintheattic
    panicintheattic Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I talk about it every so often but I'm by no means overweight so I don't think people take me seriously (only looking to lose about 15 pounds). And I feel like it's easier for me if people judge me on here based on my food choices because it's like "psh whatever I don't really even know you" (though the people I'm friends with on here are awesome!), but if people I know in real life say anything, I feel a lot more self conscious. And yeah, letting people know I'm counting calories is kind of embarrassing for me because people I know are like "ummm why are you doing that you're crazy, you look fine".
  • Copaiba
    Copaiba Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've told a few known supporters but really, discussing diet, weight loss and calorie counting with people can be REALLY boring, especially if they arent interested in changing their habits or if they disagree with your methods. So I approach the subject very gingerly and look for that blank face that says I need to change the subject. People know what they are supposed to say if they are raised right: "Congatulations! You really worked hard and it shows!" My closer friends hear all the dirt ;-) But I like the support I get here because we all know what effort it takes to lose 2 pounds; it aint easy!!
  • grdnr03
    grdnr03 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Initally just those in my household knew, then as others noticed I did tell them, yes I want to be healthier for many reasons, and so far they have been supportive! :bigsmile:

Share what you want with who you want

Good Luck here on MFP!
  • clairyfairy247
    clairyfairy247 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I'd say keep quiet at work, I've heard horror stories about people commenting on everything someone eats.

I'd also keep quiet from anyone whom you think would be unsupportive and share with those you think would be supportive, from your family and friends.

Yeah, this happened to me! Thankfully, she left last year but nothing is more embarrassing and disheartening than someone criticizing your food choices (more so because she was wheat intolerant and used to make a big deal about me eating bread, even if it was wholegrain!)