Experienced body builders. Need advice please

Options
13»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you still want to get your body fat down. Eat at a slight deficit and start a well established full body lifting protocol that incorporates progressive loading like Stronglifts 5 x 5 or Starting Strength. You can take advantage of newbie gains for a few months while at a deficit. Do this at least for a few months. Plus, you need to get your form down and strength up to take as much advantage when/if you want to bulk. After a few months, move to maintenance and then eat at a slight caloric surplus (250 - 250) to gain muscle.

Do you know your BF%?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Options
    Definitley switch the muscle groups you work from day to day, I would do something more like this (by days) cardio, legs; cardio, upper; cardio; cardio, core; cardio; legs; cardio, upper....
    A multi-day split is rarely the best plan for a beginner (which the OP is). 3 full-body workouts a week (with a rest day between each) using compound exercises provide the training frequency to more quickly learn and "groove" the movements. Multi-day splits are usually used by more advanced lifters so they can maximize intensity (sets/reps) on each body part without wrecking the CNS, while also allowing for specialization to work on specific body parts that may be lagging developmentally. Also, since the OP is looking to bulk, 4 days of cardio per week would be counterproductive to his goals.
  • ChrisC_77
    ChrisC_77 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Well, we had a fitness and nutrition professional at our work the last few days. I took part in the Body Composition Analyzer. Here are my results.

Height: 5'6"
    Weight: 147lbs

Fat % 17.1
    Fat Mass: 25.2 lb
    Muscle Mass: 115.6 lbs
    Bone Mass: 6.2
    Visceral Fat Rating: 5

Metabolic Age: 26

I only do a small amount of cardio 3-4 times a week. Only like 5-10 minutes light cardio prior to lifting.

I haven't gotten a plan down yet. Still trying to figure out what works best for me. What I did today was rather than alternate different excercises (like bench a set, then to lat rows, then do a set of tricep extensions) I decided I would complete all 3 sets of one exercise before moving on to the next. With minimal rest in between sets. Like 30 seconds. Then just power through them.

Also, I know rest is important. I have lifted weights in the past. Never serious. Just short episodes here and there. Like most novices, I know it takes awhile to see gains, but may overwork the muscles because I am not seeing any results. I am stronger than I was 2 weeks ago. That's a fact. I lift about 5 days a week. I have heard so many different stratagies it's difficult to know whats right. I know many of you on here know your stuff and you have the results to prove it. So I will take whatever advice you have given into serious consideration. Most likely since I have a fitness center at work, I will lift 5 days a week, but be sure to rotate the muscle groups that get the main attention for that workout session. Like Back and shoulders one day. Legs and core, then chest and arms.

Last question, what is the longest period in between lift sessions you should allow rest? Say 2 days?