Advice for eating out at a Mexican Restaurant.

Options

Replies

• misstoridanielle
    misstoridanielle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I always get the juevos rancheros when I go. It's egg and ranchero sauce, which I believe is just a tomato sauce. And then it comes with beans and rice. I usually can only get through half a portion, and without the tortillas, it's around 600 calories. Which isn't too bad at all!
  • tnbagwell
    Options
    My own preference is for chicken enchiladas with verde sauce instead of meat sauce. Lower calories, plus it's delicious. I usually get refried beans and rice, but don't usually eat much. It's not bad calorie-wise.
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Yeah. A mexican restaurant would be a big no no for me. :laugh: There is no way I could restrict margaritas, chips, salsa and yummy enchiladas or chimichangas.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Umlimited Chips and salsa
    This is where everyone's demise starts.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

...and the pitcher of sangria you intended to "split" with your friends

Does me, myself and I count as friends ;D

I would have to have a margarita, too. Yums. Now I want some Mexican, tyvm!!
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    1) Order food
    2) Eat food

Stop acting like one meal is going to make you "fat." Friday 1/4/13 I had dinner at BD Mongolias. I had a giant 20+ ounce beer, 4 plates of stir-fry with meats, veggies and sauces, a glass of sangria, and wrapped it up with deep-fried Oreos with chocolate drizzle and ice cream. I was 201 that morning, and 205 the next morning. I laughed about it. Yesterday (do the math - 4 days later) I was 199.

Why do we say that weight loss is a "LIFE-LONG COMMITMENT"? Because the events of ONE DAY have VERY LITTLE influence.

Go have a nice dinner out. Quit making mountains out of a bowl of nachos.

Yes. Very much THIS!!!
  • Angie_Fritts
    Angie_Fritts Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    chicken fajitas are a safe choice
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Mexican is my family's favorite, every birthday; hell who am I kidding, we go out for Mexican almost every week. I just try to allow for the extra calories but I go for fajitas or quesdillas most times and pile on the salsa.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I love Mexican. There's no way I'd give up the guacamole, sour cream, and cheese because that's the whole reason I love Mexican food.

There's a dish at our favorite place called Pollo Jalisco - it's basically a bunch of chicken, refried beans, rice, pico, sour cream, and guacamole. No tortillas or shells, so that saves quite a bit. I mix everything together and then use it as a dip for the chicken.

Altogether, it's probably about 700 or 800 calories, but even if it were 1000, I wouldn't sweat it. I can always plan my day around it or eat lighter for a day or two to make up for it. One day over your calories won't hurt you. The sodium might make you bloat a bit, so just drink a lot of lemon water that day and the next day.

If we go to a place that doesn't have that chicken dish, I get a taco salad and only eat a couple bites of the shell. The shell makes a nice bowl for the meat, beans, and veggies, and you don't HAVE to eat it.

Enjoy! :)
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Avoid condiments like guac,sour chream and cheese,fajitas (really high in fat and sodium)go for their grilled fish or chicken options with beans de la olla (if optional) or veggies as a side or just get a salad with a low cal dressing
  • sreed016
    sreed016 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My favorite Mexican place has a grilled chicken taco plate served in steamed corn tortillas - I only eat half the beans (good protein) and a few bites of rice.

Some have a grilled chicken salad - check out the menu online if you can before you go and map out what you will have.

And if they have a 'skinny margarita' go for it :)
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I love everyone telling the OP to avoid sour cream, salsa and guacamole. I put all three of those toppings on my mexican salads SEVERAL times a week.

People REALLY need to educate themselves before they talk.

Word. Avocados are good for you! Lots of good, healthy fats. A tablespoon of sour cream isn't as much as people think. And salsa? It's vegetables. :-P
  • 0Karina0
    0Karina0 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Im mexican and i have to admit you are going to have a bad time with most of the food, its true a lot of mexican foods are in the database, but be warned that each recipe is altered many many times, some ppl put more/less stuff than what is in the database, mexican food is knows for being very flavorful(lots of salt)

I recommend getting some grilled chicken and have guacamole, and cut down on the tortillas, as hard as that is.

Personally i make my own mexican food(i make most of my foods anyway, i like knowing whats in it)
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Have chicken fajitas and skip the tortillas. :)
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    All I know is I'm leaving for a two week vacation in Mexico in less than two weeks, so I'll be eating out every night at a Mexican restaurant. And I'm not planning on watching my calories while on vacation. The food there is just so YUMMY! I know that if I get right back to logging and counting calories when I get back, the weight that I've gained will come off again. I feel like if you want to make this a lifestyle, you can't deprive yourself all of the time. An occasional binge can be good for the soul. Enjoy life.....eat Mexican!
  • MrsLehman24
    MrsLehman24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Fajitas... no sour cream, guac,
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    All I know is I'm leaving for a two week vacation in Mexico in less than two weeks, so I'll be eating out every night at a Mexican restaurant. And I'm not planning on watching my calories while on vacation. The food there is just so YUMMY! I know that if I get right back to logging and counting calories when I get back, the weight that I've gained will come off again. I feel like if you want to make this a lifestyle, you can't deprive yourself all of the time. An occasional binge can be good for the soul. Enjoy life.....eat Mexican!

When we went to Cancun a couple of years ago, we were warned NOT to eat at Mexican restaurants because it would make you sick? And that was by the locals!! We had asked around with locals and they all said the same thing :( We actually came home and that was what we ate for dinner that first night back!

I hope you have different results!!
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    a) Don't do it

or

b) Do it as a full on ad libitum balls to the wall cheat meal

or

c) do it sensibly
    -ask for a spoon and your own bowl of salsa/guacamole (no chips)
    -get a dish like fajitas or carne asada that focuses on meat & veggies and then eat it with a fork. No tortillas.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Guacamole is *very* healthy. Eat it without guilt. So is salsa! Skip the rice and the chips and the refried beans.

I'm always wary of restaurant guac. Common recipes add sour cream & other junk so it's not as good for you.

My rule of thumb, if it looks like a true green of an avocado, eat it. If it looks like it's whiter/added in sour cream, don't eat it. Or you could ask the waitress. I guess that's easier :P

That's a good point! I don't usually eat at restaurants that do that, but I've heard of it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Avoid condiments like guac,sour chream and cheese,fajitas (really high in fat and sodium)go for their grilled fish or chicken options with beans de la olla (if optional) or veggies as a side or just get a salad with a low cal dressing

I'm sorry but guacamole is *NOT* a condiment. It's a vegetable side dish. It's an avacado with seasoning.
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options

When we went to Cancun a couple of years ago, we were warned NOT to eat at Mexican restaurants because it would make you sick? And that was by the locals!! We had asked around with locals and they all said the same thing :( We actually came home and that was what we ate for dinner that first night back!

I hope you have different results!!

/quote]

Thanks, but we go there (Ixtapa) every year and never have a problem. All of the restaurants cater to tourists, so they all have bottled water, and the food is wonderful! Seafood is so fresh, and everything is home made (including the chips and pico de galo). Just thinking about it is making my mouth water.