Is DAIRY bad for your waistline/weight?

Options

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    The bloat I get after having whipped cream isn't great for my waistline.

So you're probably SOL if you have lactose intolerance.
  • wormstrup14
    Options
    My opinion is that no one type of food is responsible for weight gain. I eat dairy every day, counted my calories, and had no problem losing weight
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    The 2 negative posts above are complete and utter nonsense. If you have a lactose issue, diary will cause bloating. Other than that, it is a great source of nutrients and is recommeded as a recovery beverage after exercise. Additional for those who weight train it has IGF-1 which aids in muscle development. Why the fear mongering and hating on dairy? Plenty of people include it in their diet and do just fine with weight control and heatlh.

I used to believe the commericials, too. You know, the ones the DAIRY industry puts out. Then I started doing my own research, looking at both sides with an open mind. You should try it.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    No.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I subscribe to the "if it fits in your macros" approach, and milk/dairy is a big part of my diet.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I have heard of it - it's not true. If you are lactose intolerant it may cause GI problems, but other than that - as long as it fits into your calories and macros - no issue at all.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I don't know about weight, but it's terrible for your health.

Debunking the milk myth-

http://saveourbones.com/osteoporosis-milk-myth/

There are an abundance of studies on calcium and bone health, that article discusses two. To pick out only two as evidence of anything is intellectually dishonest.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    i suspect where you hold your weight has more to do with your personal genetics than what kind of food you eat.

That being said, I don't think dairy is all that in terms of healhtiness. I don't think it's horrible either. I avoid dairy because i dislike it. Except cheese. me loves cheese.
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Daily needs to be in moderation. Milk has lots of sugar and you really do need to measure it out...two cups of even skim milk add up...I try to limit daily to one a day...and cheese only a few days a week. I'm a cheese freak.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    It makes baby cows fat

Think about it
  • ATOLLIT
    ATOLLIT Posts: 149
    Options
    I have semi-skimmed milk in my tea, coffee and porridge, and anything else I cook that might require milk. Semi because skimmed tastes like dirty water to me, and full fat seems like a waste of fat and calorie allowance to me, I'd rather spend it on something else :P
    I eat cheese regularly, in many forms.
    I am not giving up chocolate for anyone.

Why would dairy be worse than any other kind of fat?
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    you wouldn't have this problem if you drink badger milk \m/
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    where's sarauk2sf with her awesome ab shots to disprove this? that girl eats like 2 flavors of ice cream a day :laugh:

ETA: ahhh she already posted
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    milk has protein in it and build strong bones. I would rather have stong bones then a smaller waistline,that's just me.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Debunking the milk myth-

There are an abundance of studies on calcium and bone health, that article discusses two. To pick out only two as evidence of anything is intellectually dishonest.

^ That.
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    About 70% of the global population is estimated to have some level of lactose intolerance. Some also estimate about 60% of the population have some kind of food allergy (even if they don't know it). Dairy and wheat are the most common food allergies. So for many people, even ones who think they are ok with dairy, dairy can cause bloating, stubborn weight, and inflammatory and stress hormone responses. New research also identifies specific byproducts of dairy digestion as being toxic and linked to cancers esp ovarian cancer. There are lots of reasons to experiment with dropping dairy or limit dairy consumption & following the current prevention recommendation to 3 servings or less a day. But if you have the right genetics, esp if your northern european, you probably don't need to worry all that much. In those cases dairy in moderation is actually good for your waistline.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

Debunking the milk myth-

Is it also intellectually dishonest to promote milk as being "a good source of calcium" without mentioning all the other, nondairy, good sources of calcium?

http://www.ucsfhealth.org/education/calcium_content_of_selected_foods/index.html

And i say this as the mother of a vegan who is constantly berated with the whole "where does he get his calcium" crap. You gotta be kiddin' me! LOL!
    Protein too!
    You can even get B12 from nonanimal sources! *GASP!*

But that being said, I eat cheese.

I love my cheese.
  • LouMonoLou
    Options
    I've read in a couple of articles that semi-skimmed dairy products actually help with belly fat loss.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    milk has protein in it and build strong bones. I would rather have stong bones then a smaller waistline,that's just me.

You can have strong bones, high protein, and a small waistline with or without milk.

Your comment makes no sense.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    I've read in a couple of articles that semi-skimmed dairy products actually help with belly fat loss.

Probably because they are comparing it to people who ate non-skimmed dairy. Reduce the calories, reduce the belly fat.

SIMPLE!