Is DAIRY bad for your waistline/weight?

Options

Replies

• Reesecup312
    Reesecup312 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Try it with unsweetened vanilla almond milk. That's how I drink it. It is loaded with calcium too!! :)
  • I have used dairy in diets in the past and they worked fine. As with all things, success with dairy relies on the type of dairy products you choose and paying attention to food labels. It is also important to remember the important vitamins and minerals such as B-12, Calcium, and vitamin D. If you choose to have a dairy free diet, be sure that you are not missing out on any of these since a healthy diet consist of balanced vitamins, minerals and electrolytes.

If you would like to learn more about the function of vitamins and minerals you can check out this website:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/341300-what-vitamins-minerals-do-dairy-products-give-us/

Hope this helped :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I say no. N=1, I've lost like 9" in my waist while consuming a LOT of dairy. Way more than the average bear. I drink whole milk by the quart.
  • porkchop_13
    Options
    I'm having a protein shake right now with milk...mmmmm mmmm damn is it good.

I have dairy every single day and dont plan on giving any of it up anytime soon. Every body is different so different things work for different folks
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    i would say yes... because its macros are difficult to fit into a diet.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Is it also intellectually dishonest to promote milk as being "a good source of calcium" without mentioning all the other, nondairy, good sources of calcium?

No, it isn't. If I claim that a Ferarri is a fast car it is not intellectually dishonest even though there are other fast cars.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    no
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    The 2 negative posts above are complete and utter nonsense. If you have a lactose issue, diary will cause bloating. Other than that, it is a great source of nutrients and is recommeded as a recovery beverage after exercise. Additional for those who weight train it has IGF-1 which aids in muscle development. Why the fear mongering and hating on dairy? Plenty of people include it in their diet and do just fine with weight control and heatlh.

What he said.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Is it also intellectually dishonest to promote milk as being "a good source of calcium" without mentioning all the other, nondairy, good sources of calcium?

No, it isn't. If I claim that a Ferarri is a fast car it is not intellectually dishonest even though there are other fast cars.

:)

Well, at leat you don't buy into the line of thinkin that if you don't drink milk, you are doing to die of frail bones! :flowerforyou:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

:huh:
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    <<<<<<< Went from a 42" waist to a 27" waist.

<<<<<<< Eats more dairy now than she did when she was fat. Milk, yogurt, cheese, ice cream, you name it.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

:)

Well, at leat you don't buy into the line of thinkin that if you don't drink milk, you are doing to die of frail bones! :flowerforyou:

I don't believe that any specific food item is an absolute necessity. Don't like milk/dairy? Then don't drink/eat it.

But I also believe that people who can freely digest and tolerate milk, can consume it without any concerns.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I don't know about weight, but it's terrible for your health.

Debunking the milk myth-

http://saveourbones.com/osteoporosis-milk-myth/

Can you provide a link that has actual studies cited please.
  • donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    In my opinion there is nothing wrong with dairy in the diet. I watched my grandmother's back collapse with osteoporosis. She hated milk and cheese. My aunties and uncles all have it, as does my mother. I am unable to take a calcium supplement because I have a higher risk of heart disease with RA.

Her rib cage sat on her hips in the end because so many vertebrae had crushed. I won't be cutting out dairy any time soon!

Donna
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

:huh:

high fat, moderate protein mostly, and not particularly high in micros.. im guessing you are refering to cheese n milk only dairy i usually do is 1% milk, eggs, or 1% cottage cheese... as for regular cheese i stay away from it.. it fuccs me up.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Yeah, I hate protein, and we all know that drinking fat turns into fat!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    <<<<<<< Went from a 42" waist to a 27" waist.

<<<<<<< Eats more dairy now than she did when she was fat. Milk, yogurt, cheese, ice cream, you name it.

actually this is also true for me. When I was vegan, my waist was 36" now I eat dairy (ok. I eat cheese) and it's 28"....

Gimmicky thinking (like dairy is bad, and acai juice is good) and all that stuff IMHO takes focus off of what you should be looking at. I think things like raw foodism work because they cut your calories. But gimmicky diets are not sustainable. I know I'm a vegetarian, but that isn't a gimimck diet. It's something I do becuase it is in line with my personal morals (and no i'm not going to discuss them). I was vegan for 11 years for the same reason. And I'd be vegan again if I felt giving up cheese would be worth it.

The basics are:

eat for nurtrition- you can get protein, calcium, iron, etc. from animal or non-animal sources, organic and non-organic sources, local or non-local sources (ethics and nutrion aren't the same thing!)

Eat the right amount

exercise.

It's really that simple.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Dairy is good but atleast for me it tends to bloat me, I believe I have a slight intolerance. I do drink protein shakes on occasion and use almond milk instead. It is just as good in the shake, believe me. I try to stay away from too much lactose but I probably still have about 1/2 cup a day somewhere in there.
  • Justkritter
    Justkritter Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Its a great source of calcium and protein. There are fat free milks that are really good. I always add milk to my protein shake for an extra protein content.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

I find milk very easy to fit into my macros. It's a major source of protein for me. 12 grams a glass.