Is DAIRY bad for your waistline/weight?

Options

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    i would say yes... because its macros are difficult to fit into a diet.

:huh:

high fat, moderate protein mostly, and not particularly high in micros.. im guessing you are refering to cheese n milk only dairy i usually do is 1% milk, eggs, or 1% cottage cheese... as for regular cheese i stay away from it.. it fuccs me up.

Eggs aren't dairy.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    So everyone tells you something different, but I'd like opinions anyways. I'm trying to change up my diet some, and I have added in a protein mix. I prefer the taste of it with milk instead of water, but if I'm really trying to go easy on the calories for the day, I will chug it with water. (Yuck!) My question is this...I don't eat a lot of dairy anyways, but I've been told a lot of dairy is bad on your waistline and will help contribute to belly fat. Has anyone else heard anything similar to this or can someone tell me the truth please...(and yes, I already add fruits to help make it taste better.)
    Thanks! :)

Research suggests the calcium in dairy actually helps block dietary fat being absorbed, and it has been linked with reduced bodyfat and increased lean mass. Whey (one of the two milk proteins) is also thought to have a positive effect. Having said that saturated animal fats are easier for the body to convert to bodyfat, so it is not a license to eat huge quantities of high fat cheeses. Studies suggest other sources of calcium are not as effective BUT research is ongoing.

But run through some of the studies for yourself rather than relying on biased and largely unqualified forum opinions
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=dairy calcium obesity
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=dairy calcium body composition
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=whey obesity
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=whey body composition
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Since the majority of protein shakes are dairy based, adding more milk to wash it down with isn't going to make any difference. Plus it tastes much better.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Is it also intellectually dishonest to promote milk as being "a good source of calcium" without mentioning all the other, nondairy, good sources of calcium?

No, it isn't. If I claim that a Ferarri is a fast car it is not intellectually dishonest even though there are other fast cars.

:)

Well, at leat you don't buy into the line of thinkin that if you don't drink milk, you are doing to die of frail bones! :flowerforyou:

I disagree with your logic. Just because something is a good source of something doesn't mean it's the only source. I would agree if the original claim was along the lines of "Milk is an essential source of calcium for bone health" but just saying it's "a good source" I see no problem with. It's like saying "Sweet potatoes are a good source of vitamin A" does not imply that you're going to be deficient if you don't eat sweet potatoes.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

high fat, moderate protein mostly, and not particularly high in micros.. im guessing you are refering to cheese n milk only dairy i usually do is 1% milk, eggs, or 1% cottage cheese... as for regular cheese i stay away from it.. it fuccs me up.

Why is high fat a problem? Dairy is a regular source of fat for me.

And no, I'm not only referring to cheese and milk. I do realize that dairy includes more than that.

I regularly eat yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese, regular cheese, and I drink milk. Still, no problems (with weight loss or digestive issues.....I'm assuming that's what you meant by "it fuccs me up"). And eggs aren't dairy - they are a source of protein.
  • doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    go see what JJ Virgin has to say about Dairy products! I recently eliminated dairy and 6 other foods she suggested to avoid and lost 7 lbs in two days! Check it out.

and you really think that was because you eliminated dairy and the other foods? Sounds like water weight was lost....To lost 7lbs in 2 days you would have to be negaive 24,500 in those 2 days....weights fluctuate.

Dairy is not bad for your waistline, it's like everything else....in moderation
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Seriously? MILK is lacking in micronutrients and has bad macros? It's one of the most complete foods in existence!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I find milk very easy to fit into my macros. It's a major source of protein for me. 12 grams a glass.

Me too.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Is it also intellectually dishonest to promote milk as being "a good source of calcium" without mentioning all the other, nondairy, good sources of calcium?

No, it isn't. If I claim that a Ferarri is a fast car it is not intellectually dishonest even though there are other fast cars.

Well, at leat you don't buy into the line of thinkin that if you don't drink milk, you are doing to die of frail bones! :flowerforyou:

I disagree with your logic. Just because something is a good source of something doesn't mean it's the only source. I would agree if the original claim was along the lines of "Milk is an essential source of calcium for bone health" but just saying it's "a good source" I see no problem with. It's like saying "Sweet potatoes are a good source of vitamin A" does not imply that you're going to be deficient if you don't eat sweet potatoes.

I think you missed both our points.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

Why is high fat a problem? Dairy is a regular source of fat for me.

And no, I'm not only referring to cheese and milk. I do realize that dairy includes more than that.

I regularly eat yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese, regular cheese, and I drink milk. Still, no problems (with weight loss or digestive issues.....I'm assuming that's what you meant by "it fuccs me up"). And eggs aren't dairy - they are a source of protein.

yeh some ppl consider eggs dairy idk just put it in there... and high fat isnt a problem for weight loss but to be optimal for performance i find to have a higher carbohydrate diet as opposed to consuming fat... ive done high fat diet in the past (keto) and definately when im trying to lose weight i dont use mayo, sour cream, regular cheese, milk, yogurt, etc.. much rather get my saturated fats from meats, and mono and polyunsaturates from oils and nuts... thats just me tho plus im pretty sure u get more micronutrients from other sources of fats that are non dairy.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

Seriously? MILK is lacking in micronutrients and has bad macros? It's one of the most complete foods in existence!

hence why i drink milk (occassionally), and eat eggs.. -.-

plus whey protein is dairy i have that too... but i think the person asking the question is refering to milk and cheese primarily and honestly if i were to talk to someone who knew little on nutrition and dieting i would just say stick to drinking water, and dont put cheese on stuff lol.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Since the majority of protein shakes are dairy based, adding more milk to wash it down with isn't going to make any difference. Plus it tastes much better.

It is not wise to make assumptions like that, different dairy products or extracts have different amounts of calcium. The whey protein powder I currently use you'd need to eat ~260g of dry powder a day to get the recommended amount of calcium for an adult female (1g). The same works for cheeses: ~60g of grana padano supplies the same amount of calcium as ~1500ml of cottage cheese.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

I think you missed both our points.

Lol, I actually did misread what you posted. My bad. Dumb post is dumb.
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'll eat yogurt occasionally, but I no longer drink milk. When I saw the amount of sugars in it(I know it's natural, but I figured I'd cut it just to try it since it was the most obvious source of sugar in my diet), I saw my cravings for refined sugars diminish as well. The less sugar I consume, from ALL sources, the less I want. So, I don't think dairy in and of itself is bad for your waistline/weight, but I think you have to know what it is about the foods you're consuming that cause you to hold on to weight. I think this goes for all foods. I don't think there's a simple "this food is bad for you". You have to know what it is about the foods you eat that are causing the problem for you and deal with it.

Honestly, to me, drinking cow's milk has always given me a sweet-ish aftertaste in my mouth, and leaves me craving more. Unsweetened almond milk does not do this to me, so that's what I've replaced it with. And yes, I know there are differing opinions and research on soy milk(I buy unsweetened, organic, non-GMO soymilk when I drink that), but I use it on occasion as well. There are significantly less carbs in my soy milk than in my regular ol' cow's milk. Not that I believe carbs are bad or anything, I just think I should be cutting my sugar from all sources(eating more vegetables in place of fruit as well, btw).

If you think cutting or reducing dairy will help you, then try it. I don't think there are ANY hard-and-fast rules on diet that cover everyone, honestly.
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to change up my diet some, and I have added in a protein mix. I prefer the taste of it with milk instead of water, but if I'm really trying to go easy on the calories for the day, I will chug it with water. (Yuck!)

I find that drinking the protein powder in water over ice tastes a lot better if you're not doing that already.

Also, it may be that you just need a better tasting protein powder! I highly, highly recommend dymatize elite. It's so ridiculously delicious. I find that the chocolate fudge or cafe mocha taste best in water and the vanilla is DIVINE in shakes.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    try unsweetened almond milk. I don't like it with water either but the almond milk I buy has 30 calories.

I could have written this response! This is exactly what I do.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Dairy doesn't do anything good for your body. Use it sparingly.

Oh please.....
    To the OP, dairy will only be bad for your waistline if you go over your calories and get fat...Otherwise its good...I eat greek yogurt, cottage cheese, other cheese and milk on a daily basis, and I have a waistline (not a bad one for an old lady either.....:drinker:
    Oh and I am as healthy as a horse - despite having had dairy all my life....

This.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    The 2 negative posts above are complete and utter nonsense. If you have a lactose issue, diary will cause bloating. Other than that, it is a great source of nutrients and is recommeded as a recovery beverage after exercise. Additional for those who weight train it has IGF-1 which aids in muscle development. Why the fear mongering and hating on dairy? Plenty of people include it in their diet and do just fine with weight control and heatlh.

And this...although I don't know what IGF-1 is and now will have to do some research...thanks for the info.
  • saltedcaramel86
    saltedcaramel86 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in eliminating anything unless it's for medical, allergy, ethical* or religious purposes. I switched up to full fat dairy, butter, etc and actually lost the last few pounds. And I consume LOTS of dairy. Hasn't done me any harm.

You'll get tons of conflicting advice on just about everything in life with different experiments/reports, opinions, experience. Do what's right for you. As long as you're within your calorie goal, you're fine.

*I'm pescetarian for moral reasons, don't eat meat but hoping to cut fish out this year.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Lactose intolerant so stay away from dairy products and I do just fine on this journey.