Gym etiquette for newbies

Options
12345679»

Replies

• _happycats_
    _happycats_ Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If you and your friends (or just you alone) are using the dumbbells, please don't all start doing your sets of whatever in unison, directly in front of the dumbbell racks. Nobody else can access them without you moving or hitting someone. Back up a few steps and spread out, or even better, go to one of the free, open spaces designated for people to use free weights :)
  • djenah79
    Options
    ~ Clean off the machine after you use it, and while you're at it, throw your towel in the garbage - not on the floor.
    ~ Do not sit at one machine for 20 minutes. I can finish 3 sets on several different machines in the time i see some people just SITTING at a machine doing nothing!
    ~ Oh you're in the circuit training section?? Read the rules! Do not DARE to come in the circuit training area and plop your *kitten* at the machine next in my rotation and fail to get up when the light goes red so I can move on.
    ~ Stop staring at me.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Don't fall asleep on the equipment.

There was a guy at the YMCA today sound asleep on a recumbent bike. I wish my temporary cell phone had a camera.
  • repulsiongel
    repulsiongel Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Don't let loose a protein fart unless you give me ample warning to clear the kill zone.

dead. i'm dead. lmao
  • Citamotua
    Options
    NO CURLING IN THE GODDAMN SQUAT RACK.

Don't do anything in the squat rack but squats!! ;) For deads please use the bar from the benchpress... ;)

For real, clean your equipment after use, don't steal equipment (ask to work in, and if they say no, they're pretty much a jerk) , don't throw the weights down (unless on an olympic platform), and (i know this is asking a lot) try not to grunt too loud ;)

Barbell Shrugs
    Military Press
    Bent Over Rows

are all acceptable exercises to do in the squat rack.

Damn right, no curling in the squat rack...ever! However, you can squat in the curl rack if need be ;)
    Barbell shrugs and bent over rows should also not be done in the squat rack (no need to), unless the gym is empty. If you don't have the strength to deadlift that weight up, you're going too heavy!

Military presses are ok, but then again, clean that ish up and shoulder press like a BOSS!
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Having 43 pictures of yourself shirtless on MFP and being a raging boner...

Oh, shoot, we were talking about gym etiquette. My bad.

Seriously, though, showing off your abs is probably better suited for facebook.

do you even lift?

What would that have to do with gratuitous amounts of shirtless photos of yourself? Do you even modesty?

Yes, I lift, but obviously not as seriously as you do. I'm not trying to bulk up so much as get more lean and toned. No bodybuilding for me. I just kind of think your attitude is sh!tty and you come off as pretty arrogant. Sorry for the post wars...
  • erniewebbiii
    erniewebbiii Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    One more ... don't spend 20 minutes in the shower stalls. Some of us actually have to get to work. That really pisses me off.