Would you bring your 13 year old to the gym?

Options
I started bringing my 13 year old to the gym with me regularly. After a visit to he fathers I was informed he is against it. I want to instill healthy habits and really like the mother daughter time it gives us. Its not like I push her to do the workout that I do, in fact at times she just watches. Would you bring your daughter to the gym?

Replies

• aproctor1120
    Options
    Absolutely. In fact, my now 15 year old daughter, was a regular with me at the gym when she was 13. As long as she doesn't start obsessing about working out or freak out over every morsel she puts in her mouth, indicating a possible eating disorder, I see nothing wrong with starting healthy habits. If he protests too much, try other activities like walking or bkiking. May be difficult to do in the winter, depending on where you live.
  • poeco76
    poeco76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I used to go with my mom to the gym when I was 12-13. Of course, she had to lie about my age because at the time, one had to be at least 15 to join a gym. I personally think that as long as you're not making the workout about her body image, but rather simply illustrating/participating in a good habit, there's nothing wrong with it. Do be careful though as with teens and pre-teens it can become an obsession which can cause issues (I speak from personal experience). Just keep it fun and light. :0)
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Yes. In the summer time I see plenty of parents that bring their kids who are on break into the gym to work out. I think it's a good habit to teach your kid.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I plan to teach my boys to lift around age 10 or so
  • dantrick
    dantrick Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    yep, I got my son a year membership to the gym (he is 14). I feel that it is good for kids they need some kind of physical activity, especially since all they really do nowadays is play Xbox when they get home from school.
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    What is his objection specifically? Seems odd to me, as long as you're not pushing her to do excessive exercise or giving her body image issues or something, what's the problem? A lot of boys start wanting to go to the gym around that age. How is going to the gym different than joining a soccer team or martial arts classes or any number of things that teens and preteens do to stay active?
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    "Inform" him too f'ing bad. Fitness is great for kids.

I take my little girl with me to the Y, just to swim because she's not allowed on the exercise floor for another year. But when she's old enough I'll certainly bring her with me and let her do whatever she's interested in.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Physical activity is just as important for our children as it is for us, probably more. My 5 year old daughter is "running" a 5k with me in the spring.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My son is 13, and I plan to teach him how to lift weights. (though he already learned a little bit at school)
  • rapat
    rapat Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If she's just sitting there, then its a waste of her time.

I'd be in favor of my (non existent) kids playing sports or other fun / physical activities (martial arts, dance, swimming, hiking) than running on a treadmill / lifting weights. Difference being that in sports the fitness is a byproduct of a fun activity.

I'd probably be against lifting (for my non existent kids) until they were 16+
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    My 10 year old daughter runs 3 miles on the treadmill next to me when we go to the gym every other day. As long as her pediatrician doesn't have a problem with it and the gym has approved her using equipment, there's nothing wrong with it.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    My son will be 12 in March and one of the things he's most excited about is he will be able to be on the exercise floor with me at our gym! I think its a great way to instill healthy habits in them!
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    would he prefer that she learn sedintary habits? we are no longer hunter/gatherers, the gym is a fact of life, i see no problem in teaching her that, nor in teaching her that being healthy is something to strive for and be proud of.
  • justvap1
    Options
    "Inform" him too f'ing bad. Fitness is great for kids.

I take my little girl with me to the Y, just to swim because she's not allowed on the exercise floor for another year. But when she's old enough I'll certainly bring her with me and let her do whatever she's interested in.

I do tell him that quite regularly lol
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    In my K-12 school most kids started working out in the summer between 6th and 7th grade. Thats about the age I started doing essentially a 5x5 stronglifts type program.

I don't see a problem myself.
  • justvap1
    Options
    She does not just sit there the whole time but of my workout is getting to intense then she sits out for a few.....I feel it's a better waste of her tome than sitting in front of the tv
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    My daughter comes to the gym with me every day.....she goes to swim while I do my lift, then I join her in the pool for half an hour and once that is done we both go to the cardio room and hop on the treadmills.

She doesn't have to go on the treadmills and I don't push her to, as she is active and swims every day, HOWEVER she's currently in a step challenge at school and wants to rack up steps galore....so as long as I am with her, she can be in the cardio room and she chooses to come with me.

I think fitness for kids is awesome, statistics show that children should do 60 minutes of physical activity OUTSIDE of their normal day to day activity every day....

most kids don't even do a fraction of 60 minutes....and we wonder why we have a growing child obesity problem?
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Does she like going? Is there some other activity that she prefers to do? I can understand that if she is just sitting there that she really isn't getting much out of it. Maybe you could find some other activity that you could do together? Just like adults, not every kid is going to like the idea of a treadmill. I'd run for hours outside when I was a kid, but didn't even make it 5 minutes on a treadmill. I still despise those things.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Yes! I learned my way around the gym at about 12-13. It's great for kids to see their parents being active.
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    I have my now 14 year old (was 12/13 when we started) lifting with me when he is not in football or basketball season. The team starts lifting together this spring for football. As others have said, just so it's about being healthy and doesn't turn into unhealthy obsession with being thin...