Would you bring your 13 year old to the gym?

Options

Replies

• serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    If she wanted to go, h***l yeah! As long as you know she is being healthy and not going overboard (as teenagers are known to do) there is nothing wrong with it. I would ask her father what he doesn't like about it. Is he seeing worrisome behaviors? It's no different than being on track or in soccer. At that age a lot of sports teams hit the gym too.

At work, I do a lot of workouts with the little girl I nanny. She is way too little for the gym, but she loves baby yoga and sitting on my back telling me when to go up and down for pushups. When she's older we'll do more together (I've heard little ones love Zumba). I honestly don't feel there is a difference. Kids and teens naturally enjoy activity if it is instilled in them. Hopefully, the fond memories of your mother daughter time will bring that through to adulthood. You are encouraging age appropriate activities, nothing wrong with that.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids yet but I'm about to join a gym (literally tonight) and I wouldn't mind people bringing their teenagers to the gym as long as they observed the rules like anyone else. I think I'd be reluctant to same the same for younger children though... primarily because they typically have less self-control in regards to being noisey/disruptive to people around them.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I bring my 10 year old, it's where we bond. He does New Rules of Lifting for Women with me plus 30 minutes of cardio. He loves it, and it gets him off his @ss
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    skinnybitchbarbie27 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I think 13 is a good age for some maturity. However to the b*tch that brought her 9-10 year old to a lifting/strength class I wanted to slap the hell out of her. The instructor had to spend extra time dealing with watching her (which took time away from EVERYONE) and making sure she didn't hurt herself. Some places are just not for kids.

:explode:
  • MagnaSky
    MagnaSky Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I work out at home with my 10 year old, and during the last summer he was my running partner occasionally. If I could, I would bring him to gym with me.
  • Biggoal50
    Biggoal50 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My daughters are 26 and 24. Since the age of 5 they were required to always have a sport. It could be dance, cheer, or any sort of physical activity. They never questioned it. They both ran cross country and track in high school. I got a lot of crap from friends and family for MAKING my kids do a sport. I was told they would grow up hating exercise, having body issues, etc... However, it was an expectation, just like they had to do homework, eat dinner, visit grandma, and clean up after themselves.

My kids are both active, healthy adults. They both still exercise and work out on a regular basis. One plays Gaelic football, soccer, runs, and does cross fit. They other runs 5 ks. They both are active and hike and participate in outdoorsy things. As adults my girls do have some body issues. However, I think the vast majority of women have body issues. I think I would rather them have the anxiety about staying in shape rather than the anxiety, guilt, discrimination issues they would have if they needed to lose 50 pounds. Honestly, I wish my mom would have made physical activity a priority.
  • AyaKara
    AyaKara Posts: 220
    Options
    Absolutely! My school required us to go to a fitness center that was built on the roof for P.E. when I was in 11th grade. After myself & a few others really began to endorse it, they required it for all students from 9th grade on. I think teenagers should be taught to embrace healthy living as soon as possible.

When I become a parent, I'm making sure that my kids are involved with active activities that they enjoy (whether it be sports, dancing, or another recreational activity), & once they're in their teens I intend on showing them how to lift & exercise properly.

I think you made a good choice for your child. :heart:
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    My mom was a personal trainer when I was younger, so on days when my dad (a fireman) was working, she'd bring my younger brother and me with her. Sometimes we would just hang out with the owner's kids and watch TV, but when it wasn't very busy, we would go in and use the ellipticals and smaller weight machines. I think this started when I was around 9 and he was around 7
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Did he give you a reason he doesn't want her there?

ETA: I can't wait until our kids can lift with us.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Why doesn't he want her to go to the gym? Rather than just telling him to F off, maybe try educating him in RE to whatever he's concerned with. I know my mom was concerned with me working out when I was younger and that it would stunt my growth, etc...lots of myths out there that can be easily busted with a little knowledge.

Personally, I can't wait to take my boys to the gym. My gym also has kid friendly workout programs, so something you might want to look into.
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I take my son all the time! He runs cross country for his middle school and benefits from it greatly! He's not allowed to do the weight machines, but can use free weights. He also enjoys the elliptical and treadmill.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few people at my gym who work out with their kids, mostly lifting which I think is wonderful.
  • justvap1
    Options
    he has no reason as far as I know...she mentioned to him that I had been taking her..he replied with that's stupid you don't need to be at the gym.
  • justvap1
    Options
    I would try to educate him but we can't even have a productive conversation. :grumble:
  • annicins
    Options
    I CANNOT wait to take my daughter with me when she is old enough. She is not even a year, so I have a LONG way to go. I think it will be good bonding time for the two of us, instill healthy values and also help her focus on things like homework when we get home. Obviously I won't make her go if she hates it, but I hope it is something the two of us can enjoy together.
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Why on earth would her father object? Exercise and fitness are very impotant to kids. Most are overweight lazy couch potaotoes. I wouild be thrilled if someone brought my kids to the gym when they were that age.

He should be thrilled that your daughter is doing something healthy.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Yes I would and did, as soon as she showed interest.
  • IsleEsme
    IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Our now 15 year old daughter has been going with my husband and I since July of last year. Just this past weekend we took our 12 year old daughter for the first time. She loved it and wants a membership which we will do next month (we have a few free passes to use up). In August our youngest daughter will be 12 and we will take her as well. My husband and I are advocates of teaching our kids about being healthy not fat/thin. We talk about nutrition a lot and are teaching "everything in moderation".
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Personally I think it's almost a necessity for guys to be working out at this age that play sports and want to be serious about or they can be fairly far behind especially if they haven't been going through growth spurts. I don't see why this should be any different for girls. I totally promote kids of this age being in the gym provided they are respectful to the people there and they have someone paying fairly good attention to what and how they're doing things they can hurt themselves fairly quickly and badly. I also think its just as important for kids to be involved in team sports. It promotes a sense of belonging, teamwork. Self esteem and accomplishment that you can't get anywhere else. This is not for everyone and shouldn't be pushed but just encouraged. Pushing just causes kids to do the exact opposite or just comply and hate every minute of it.

I have my 5 year old in ice skating, dance, and Zumba. She loves it all and we'll probably do tball in the spring. Promoting being healthy is all you can do. They have a personality of their own and wi make their decisions whether you like it or not
    My 2 cents
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Is he worried that some dirty old men will try hitting on her or something?