Would you bring your 13 year old to the gym?

Options

Replies

• Goldie_13
    Options
    Yes!
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Of course it's ok to take your kids. I don't see why her father would be against it. Haven't you seen the first episode of The Biggest Loser this season. They're tackling childhood obesity.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    My eight-year-old plays in the pool while I work out, and loves it. Younger age is probably much easier tho
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I would assume the father is just concerned about his daughter getting hurt. But you know what they sat about assuming.
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I would try to educate him but we can't even have a productive conversation. :grumble:

Plain and simple...if you have the primary custody you can do what you want. If he tries to take you to court he will lose haha. The judges won't rule in his favor.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I would if she was interested. I started heavy weight lifting when I was probably 12... maybe a tad younger and I was very interested in going to the gym.

My daughter already is trying to emulate my healthier choices and has learned at 4 how to do a push-up, crunch, reverse crunch and a squat. Don't know where she gets her motiviation to even want to try but it's adorable.

I would suggest taking her if she is interested. All kids have different sport type interests and if this happens to be something she wants to do then he should let her. He probably interrogated her about it to make her feel less inclined (or at least I know that is something my ex-husband has done on occasion, my daughter fearfully talks to me about some things because her dad is against it in entirety).
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Here in SC there is no gym class and no recess. None of the neighborhood kids play outside. If it weren't for the pool and the ocean she would get no exercise at all. I insist she work out at least twice a week.

I wonder if her generation will live as long as us. No cardiac health or skeletal muscle mass developed early has to have some long lasting impact.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I started running on the tredmill when I was 12, I wanted to be in track and so I felt like running, infact I did a lot of running!!! If she wants too then let her, tell her dad that they do it in PE at school anyways so whats the harm?
  • THuffman1967
    THuffman1967 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Both of my boys (12 & 14) go with us to the gym. Sometimes they work out, sometimes they don't. It's up to them.
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. There is nothing wrong with trying to instill healthy exercise habits with your children. My kids are too little to be on the floor with me, but the YMCA has a great program for kids once they reach the age of 9. Plus... there are other activities for kids to do as well, such as swim and sports, etc. Right now, since my kids are too young for the gym, they do run with me. My 8 year old has done a few 5Ks and lots of 1 mile Fun Runs, and.... even my 4 year old daughter has done two 1 mile Fun Runs!!! I think you are setting a good example.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I think its a great idea, and sounds like your ex is just looking for another way to control you. Our Y actually has fitness classes specifically geared to 8-12 year olds, and kids 12 years and older can attend any class with a parent.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    My 13 year old nephew goes to the gym with his mom. They have TONS of activities (actual activity, not watching TV or playing video games) that he can/does do while she works out.

I think it's great for him. It gets him away from sedentary entertainment and moving around with kids his own age and teaches him about fitness and health.

I can't see a bad side....
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    My son got his gym membership when he was 15. We've started going 4 days a week now (he's 16 now). He kicks my butt exercise-wise. It's not about losing weight or getting buff or anything - it is just about a healthy lifestyle for him.
  • hopsonc24
    hopsonc24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, my 11 year old son goes with my every day (except when he is at his dads)
    He either runs the track with me, or swims or plays racquetball. Id like him to start using the machines, but its a work in progress.
    Every human needs physical activity, the younger you can instill those behaviors in your children the better!
    I wish his dad felt the same way...video games are the only activity they do together
    :(
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids, but 13...hell yes, why not?

When I was 13, I was playing sports (basketball and volleyball) in junior high, and we worked our butts off getting in shape and practicing constantly. I don't see any difference between that and going to the gym!

My 10 year old niece goes to the gym with my sister-in-law all the time. She''s not allowed to use the equipment (club rules), but LOVES doing Zumba, yoga, and anything else they'll let her into....
  • LPoffe01
    Options
    I would, I think my 13 year old would enjoy going with me too!!
  • bethanytowell
    bethanytowell Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I think it is wonderful. I have 2 daughters and when they are 12-13 I will start bringing them with me. I have a 3 year old who already knows which foods are healthy and which ones arent. She knows veggies make you feel good and sugary foods should only be eaten in moderation. I fully support teaching our children to be healthy and stay active. Kuddos to you!
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Yes, I brought both my kids to the gym when I exercised there. THe gym even had fitness & nutrition classes for kids.
  • Obeg
    Obeg Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I would try to educate him but we can't even have a productive conversation. :grumble:

Plain and simple...if you have the primary custody you can do what you want. If he tries to take you to court he will lose haha. The judges won't rule in his favor.

As a parent on the other end of this spectrum - I HATE this response. The goal is to not snub your nose at the other parent's opinions or concerns - but to work together. I have an ex that does just that - does what the hell she wants when she wants with HER kids to hell with me. Well you know what - they are my kids too. Imagine if courts decided if YOU got to raise your kids or not.
  • GettingFitToLIVE
    Options
    I see absolutely no issue with this. What's wrong with encouraging your children to have a healthy lifestyle?! My son will be 5 in a few weeks. We got him involved in soccer when he was 3. He continued playing it until this past september. A couple weeks ago, he started wrestling. And he LOVES it. When i work out at home doing my MMA workouts, he is right there with me. He'll jump right in and start throwing punches, kicks, push ups, sit ups, etc. I love it. More importantly, HE'S enjoying it! This past October he ran a 1 mile kid run. He was so excited when he received his medal. He hangs it proudly in his room. I plan to continue to encourage him to be healthy and strong!