How do I stop eating snacks after 6pm?

Options

Replies

• nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    If it fits in your macros and calories, why cut it out? Or are we talking excess cals, etc here?
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    AS LONG AS YOU ARE UTILIZING THE CALORIES IT SHOULDNT BE AN ISSUE. If you eat some potato chips or something crappy like that i would say its probably not a good idea.

I sometimes eat ice cream before going to bed. It fits my macros and daily calorie (sometimes it doesn't but I still do it)

I dont agree with doing it this way. But thats just my opinion. Everybody does it differently

You need to learn about nutrition BRO!
  • mckramer1999
    mckramer1999 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    First thing is to figure out if you are really hungry or if you are bored. If you are bored, brush your teeth, drink a glass of water and get busy. If you are hungry, go ahead and have that snack. Just make sure that you budget calories so you have some left over for your evening snack, and have some pre-portioned snacks handy (100-150 cals). That should keep you from accidentally exceeding your goal.

I totally know what you are feeling. Just last night I seriously had the munchies for something salty and I wasn't even remotely hungry (not to mention the fact that I am really trying to cut down on the sodium). So I went upstairs and deep conditioned my hair and put on a face mask. I am trying to change my mind set and get rid of the notion that by eating junk I am giving myself a "treat." It's not! Treating myself would be slimming down so that I can shop in whatever store I want to and be able to find something that fits. Treating myself would be going to the doctor and hearing that my cholesterol and triglycerides are within a healthy range. Baby steps!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with eating after 6? I hate going to bed hungry. It doesn't matter when you eat as long as you stick to your calorie goal. The whole "eating right before bed is bad thing" is a myth.

its not a myth if you eat crap before bed.

Not a myth if you eat most of your calories before bed.

YEP

Um...still a myth. I eat close to (or over) 1000 calories within the hour before I go to bed (including a healthy dose of crap just before I go to sleep). I don't go over my calories for the day. See ticker for how it's working.

What i'm saying is If you're not spacing out your calorie consumption throughout the day and eating 600-800 empty calories before bed (ie:junk food), you're not doing yourself any favors.
    And what I'm saying is....

You're wrong.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I plan my calories to make sure I have enough for a little treat after dinner. If I try not to, I binge.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    dont

Huh??? Whodda thunk it would be as simple as that.
  • emmaninek
    Options
    Drink lots of water.
    Post pone your dinner to after 6pm.
    Simply don't buy snacks that are not good for you. If its not in your house, you can't eat it.
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I feel like 6 is a bit early to be eating dinner. I usually have dinner around 8:00. Sometimes as early as 7:00 if I have roller derby practice at 9:00 because I don't want to have just eaten. I recommend eating dinner later.

My meals go like this:

wake up 6:00-7:00

7:00 breakfast
    11:00 snack
    1:00-2:00 lunch
    4:00-5:00 snack
    7:00-8:00 dinner

in bed by 10:00-11:00
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    AS LONG AS YOU ARE UTILIZING THE CALORIES IT SHOULDNT BE AN ISSUE. If you eat some potato chips or something crappy like that i would say its probably not a good idea.

I sometimes eat ice cream before going to bed. It fits my macros and daily calorie (sometimes it doesn't but I still do it)

I dont agree with doing it this way. But thats just my opinion. Everybody does it differently

Science works whether you agree with it or not.
  • RunningMannn
    Options
    The other day I did my treadmill workout at 11pm...Then ate a hamburg (cooked on my george foreman grill) and fries at midnight..Got up the next day at 6am...Yesterday I cheated and bought a 4 pack reeses cup. Oh so good..I'll still lose my 1 to 2 pounds a week. Need to get more sleep though..
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I always eat ice-cream in bed.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Would you care to expand on what is wrong with it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    What's wrong with eating after 6? I hate going to bed hungry. It doesn't matter when you eat as long as you stick to your calorie goal. The whole "eating right before bed is bad thing" is a myth.

YEP

Um...still a myth. I eat close to (or over) 1000 calories within the hour before I go to bed (including a healthy dose of crap just before I go to sleep). I don't go over my calories for the day. See ticker for how it's working.

What i'm saying is If you're not spacing out your calorie consumption throughout the day and eating 600-800 empty calories before bed (ie:junk food), you're not doing yourself any favors.

You're wrong.

^^she is right
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

YEP

tumblr_loldmr7r1b1qzgecuo1_500.gif
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    It's not a bad habit. Eat when you are hungry if it fits into your goals for the day. The times that you eat won't affect weight loss. My last evening snack is usually around 10PM. I would eat even later than that if I were hungry again and had the calories left for it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

YEP

Why? What will happen?
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

YEP

You're wrong.

<3

I eat about 3000cal a day give or take 500 or so. These calories start coming in usually sometime after 1-3pm...and often consists of some of the crappiest food imaginable (including but not limited to Taco Bell, McDonalds, etc). Yes, I'd prefer a cleaner diet...but I'm not killing myself over it at this point, because I've got bigger things to deal with. The majority of the food I eat comes at dinner, which is often over 2000cal itself. A bowl of cereal or ice cream completes my day RIGHT before I go to bed...because I feel like I sleep better after I've eaten something sweet (I know it's all in my head...I don't care, it works for me lol). Sex can be substituted for the cereal or ice cream, but I'm single...soooo, food it is.

Now, granted...I'm not in the kind of shape Mr. Abs up there is...but most of my pictures on my profile are pretty recent, and I don't think anyone would call me out of shape lol.

Food timing is a myth. Eat what you want when you want (you should at least try to keep your macros in mind here), as long as you're within your calorie window.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options

Can you cite me a peer reviewed study that shows eating all your calories before bed, as long as you are still eating at a deficit, doesn't get metabolized thereby leading to weight gain?
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

Yes, yes it is.