How do I stop eating snacks after 6pm?

Options

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    AS LONG AS YOU ARE UTILIZING THE CALORIES IT SHOULDNT BE AN ISSUE. If you eat some potato chips or something crappy like that i would say its probably not a good idea.

I sometimes eat ice cream before going to bed. It fits my macros and daily calorie (sometimes it doesn't but I still do it)

I dont agree with doing it this way. But thats just my opinion. Everybody does it differently

I like to do it all different ways. Not just one way.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    OP: Try eating smaller meals more frequently throughout the day and making your dinner an hour later. I find that I snack less when I eat dinner closer to 7-7:30pm.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    AS LONG AS YOU ARE UTILIZING THE CALORIES IT SHOULDNT BE AN ISSUE. If you eat some potato chips or something crappy like that i would say its probably not a good idea.

You are contradicting yourself here and now I am confused. I agree with "It shouldn't be an issue" and disagree with "it's probably not a good idea". Unless you are insinuating that you can't utilize potato chip calories....In which case I will just shake my head and walk away.
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    If you snack every night just build it into you daily calorie budget. Have a glass of water with the snack and you should be set.

PS. It's okay to snack after 6 PM as long as it's not 3-4 scoops of ice cream with toppings :)
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    If you snack every night just build it into you daily calorie budget. Have a glass of water with the snack and you should be set.

PS. It's okay to snack after 6 PM as long as it's not 3-4 scoops of ice cream with toppings :)

What's wrong with half a tub of ice cream with toppings before bed? Assuming it's in your calories, of course.
  • mlondon8509
    mlondon8509 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    There are two seperate issues here that are getting confused.

1) Calories are calories, regardless of when in the day you eat them. If your body burns more calories than you consume, you will lose weight - whether you space your eating out into 20 small incraments or eat it all at one time immediately before bed. This math is fundamental to the concept of counting your calories.

2) The reason the calories before bed myth has continued for so long, is there is an argument to be made that a diet is more likely to be SUSTAINABLE if you are eating your calories earlier in the day, rather than before bed. The reason is that when you eat earlier in the day (as opposed to before bed), you will feel satiated (or full) for a higher percentage of your waking hours. Conversely, if you eat more calories before bed (and fewer throughout the day) you will be hungrier throughout the day and more satiated while asleep (when feeling satiated does not even give you any benefit). A lifestyle is more sustainable if you are not always feeling hungry, so it is easy to see why the eating calories early in the day myth continues.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

What's wrong with half a tub of ice cream with toppings before bed? Assuming it's in your calories, of course.

A lot of things, 1) It's dairy which is for fattening baby mammals 2) The sugar, which is the root cause of the obesity epidemic 3) The insulin fairy only comes out at night and will store it all as fat
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

LACTOSE INTOLERANCE!!!!

milk-meme.jpg
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    And 3) People don't seem to realize that your metabolism doesn't magically stop when you go to bed.

eta: This was in addition to mlondon's list. I guess I should have quoted.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    The reason the calories before bed myth has continued for so long, is there is an argument to be made that a diet is more likely to be SUSTAINABLE if you are eating your calories earlier in the day, rather than before bed. The reason is that when you eat earlier in the day (as opposed to before bed), you will feel satiated (or full) for a higher percentage of your waking hours. Conversely, if you eat more calories before bed (and fewer throughout the day) you will be hungrier throughout the day and more satiated while asleep (when feeling satiated does not even give you any benefit). A lifestyle is more sustainable if you are not always feeling hungry, so it is easy to see why the eating calories early in the day myth continues.

I disagree here. Hunger as felt by the majority of the first world populous, isn't even hunger. It's thirst, boredom, habit, and about a dozen other things...none of which have anything to do with your body needing food. I work hard, all day long. If I eat breakfast, I'm RAVENOUS...ALL DAY LONG. Even if I divide my 3000-3500cal/day into multiple meals throughout the day (who has time for that?), I'm STILL starving all day long if I've ate in the morning. If however, I don't eat until late afternoon (which is when I've trained my body to feel naturally hungry...i.e 'habit' from above)...I get a couple of nice, big meals, and feel full and satisfied throughout my evening.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    pst...why do guys keep arguing with Nack guy? We went through this yesterday.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I have a BAD habit....I get this feeling of wanting a snack in the evening after 6ish. I eat a balance dinner and throughout the day I manage what I eat. What can I do to help to control this?

It's 5 o'clock somewhere
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

1) Calories are calories, regardless of when in the day you eat them. If your body burns more calories than you consume, you will lose weight - whether you space your eating out into 20 small incraments or eat it all at one time immediately before bed. This math is fundamental to the concept of counting your calories.

2) The reason the calories before bed myth has continued for so long, is there is an argument to be made that a diet is more likely to be SUSTAINABLE if you are eating your calories earlier in the day, rather than before bed. The reason is that when you eat earlier in the day (as opposed to before bed), you will feel satiated (or full) for a higher percentage of your waking hours. Conversely, if you eat more calories before bed (and fewer throughout the day) you will be hungrier throughout the day and more satiated while asleep (when feeling satiated does not even give you any benefit). A lifestyle is more sustainable if you are not always feeling hungry, so it is easy to see why the eating calories early in the day myth continues.

A "diet" is more sustainable if it fits your lifestyle & preferences. Not eating at night makes me cranky, makes me have more trouble sleeping than usual, and makes me 200% more miserable in the morning. I am perfectly "satiated" during the day having oatmeal, fruit, yogurt, maybe a salad or soup or something for lunch. I'm ravenously hungry at night-regardless of what I eat during the day. Fighting that leads to a whole lotta binging at night. Planning for it makes it fit my life and very easily maintainable.

I realize I'm an n=1 non-peer reviewed study and all, but I'm not seeing any other evidene to support that what I'm doing is "bad."
  • crisanderson27
    Options

A lot of things, 1) It's dairy which is for fattening baby mammals 2) The sugar, which is the root cause of the obesity epidemic 3) The insulin fairy only comes out at night and will store it all as fat

Ohhhhhhh!! Forgot about those :).
    f*cking fairies.

Still <3 you!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Ohhhhhhh!! Forgot about those :).
    f*cking fairies.

Still <3 you!

*smooooches*
  • mlondon8509
    Options

A "diet" is more sustainable if it fits your lifestyle & preferences. Not eating at night makes me cranky, makes me have more trouble sleeping than usual, and makes me 200% more miserable in the morning. I am perfectly "satiated" during the day having oatmeal, fruit, yogurt, maybe a salad or soup or something for lunch. I'm ravenously hungry at night-regardless of what I eat during the day. Fighting that leads to a whole lotta binging at night. Planning for it makes it fit my life and very easily maintainable.

I realize I'm an n=1 non-peer reviewed study and all, but I'm not seeing any other evidene to support that what I'm doing is "bad."

Notice I said in #2, "there is an argument to be made", not that it is a fact or true for everyone. My point is that, for some people, eating more calories earlier in the day allows them to feel satiated for more of their waking day. For these people, it is easier to stick to a plan that involves not eating at night - specifially because it allows them to eat more calories during the day.
  • Countryboy_
    Options
    Brush your teeth. Everything tastes like *kitten* afterwards.

What flavor toothpaste do you use? Starfish flavor?
  • mlondon8509
    Options

Also, of course it is not bad what you are doing (see #1). Any adherence to your calorie plan will result in you achieving your goals - which is the whole point! I was merely trying to explain rationally why I think the "no calories after 6pm" myth has persisted for all these years. For certain people it works, although not for the reasons they think it is working. The reason it works is because it allows them to adhere to their total daily calorie plan, not because night calories are evil.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth. Everything tastes like *kitten* afterwards.

What flavor toothpaste do you use? Starfish flavor?

EWWWW! I'm a Crest gal.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I have a BAD habit....I get this feeling of wanting a snack in the evening after 6ish. I eat a balance dinner and throughout the day I manage what I eat. What can I do to help to control this?

I eat dinner every night @ 8:30 pm and always have a snack afterwards. I make sure I budget 100 - 150 calories for said snack. It's never hindered my progress. So if you like a snack before bed just make sure it fits into your calorie budget for the day.