About Margarine

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I don't understand your point. Why is it sneaky to say something with no fat has no trans fat?
    It's because trans fats are bad for us, and the producers of packaged food have a big area on their packaging to promote health and if they can say no trans fats that might help convince people that their product is healthy regardless of all the refined and unnatural other ingredients are there.

I'm not going to argue about truth in food advertisement. But if there is no fat, there can't possibly be trans fat.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I use very little margarine, preferring olive oil, but when I do want margarine, I make it with this recipe and store most of it in the freezer:

http://vegan.com/recipes/bryanna-clark-grogan/bryannas-vegan-butter/

Many commercial margarines have palm oil in them, which I object to using because of the effect on orangutan habitats.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    well butter isnt as processed as margarine is so it would be better for you i guess

dog poo isn't as processed as margarine either.
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Manage quite easily without eating marge or butter, but a little of either every now and again isn't going to kill you.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    well butter isnt as processed as margarine is so it would be better for you i guess

dog poo isn't as processed as margarine either.
    That's why I only use dog poo in my baking.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC... and shares 27 ingredients with PAINT.

Yes! I learned and confirmed this in my organic chemistry classes in college, as a chem minor/ bio major, have learned lots of scary truths about some of these things... knowing this, I avoid it... never really liked it anyways! And as others have said, check ingredients but butter IS GOOD for you, healthy fats are GOOD!

Did they also teach you that water is one molecule away from being explosive hydrogen gas? That's an absolutely meaningless distinction, and one that you'd think a chem minor would be able to recognize as such.

Two scientists walk into a bar
    The first one says “I’ll have some H2O.” The second one says, “I’ll have some H2O too.”
    Then he dies.

:laugh:
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC... and shares 27 ingredients with PAINT.

Yes! I learned and confirmed this in my organic chemistry classes in college, as a chem minor/ bio major, have learned lots of scary truths about some of these things... knowing this, I avoid it... never really liked it anyways! And as others have said, check ingredients but butter IS GOOD for you, healthy fats are GOOD!

Did they also teach you that water is one molecule away from being explosive hydrogen gas? That's an absolutely meaningless distinction, and one that you'd think a chem minor would be able to recognize as such.

The first one says “I’ll have some H2O.” The second one says, “I’ll have some H2O too.”
    Then he dies.

Hilarious!
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Not all margarines are the same. You'd have to read the ingredients to decide how healthy or unhealthy it is. Avoid any margarine that has partially hydrogenated or hydrogenated oils as an ingredient.

This. Hydrogenated oils bind with vitamins A, D, E, and K and suck them out of your body.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I use very little margarine, preferring olive oil, but when I do want margarine, I make it with this recipe and store most of it in the freezer:

http://vegan.com/recipes/bryanna-clark-grogan/bryannas-vegan-butter/

Many commercial margarines have palm oil in them, which I object to using because of the effect on orangutan habitats.

Oh! Awesome!!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,023 Member
    Options

I don't understand your point. Why is it sneaky to say something with no fat has no trans fat?
    It's because trans fats are bad for us, and the producers of packaged food have a big area on their packaging to promote health and if they can say no trans fats that might help convince people that their product is healthy regardless of all the refined and unnatural other ingredients are there.

I'm not going to argue about truth in food advertisement. But if there is no fat, there can't possibly be trans fat.
    LOL....exactly.
  • bcattoes
    Options

LOL....exactly.

Truth in advertising = sneaky. I gotta say, someone putting a true statement on a package to increase sales bothers much less than most other advertising gimmicks.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Then he dies.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • neanderthin
    Options

LOL....exactly.

Truth in advertising = sneaky. I gotta say, someone putting a true statement on a package to increase sales bothers much less than most other advertising gimmicks.
    Me too. Regardless, the devil is in the details. Like the link above I posted, trans fats in canola and soy oil to name just 2.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    It's my understanding that steak contains natural trans fat. Do you avoid that, as well?
    Ever heard of CLA? that's what it's formally called in animals, different ball game, of course don't believe me and check yourself, that's what I normally do when something goes against my biased opinion of something, never use to do that I'll admit, or less so, but I've learned my lesson more than once over the last 10 years looking at nutritional science.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    margarine tastes off to me. and if i'm eating a cupcake, it had better be made with butter and not some fake crap.

had to re-write a bunch of my grandma's recipes though since she was force fed the "margarine is better than butter line" for decades and can't get out of that rut.

I love those old recipes that call for oleo. :)
  • bcattoes
    Options

LOL....exactly.

Me too. Regardless, the devil is in the details. Like the link above I posted, trans fats in canola and soy oil to name just 2.

But there are only trace amounts of trans fats and the rest is all good fat. The reason trans fats are bad are that they can increase levels of LDL (bad cholesterol) in the blood. Good fats decrease the amount of LDL and increase the amount HDL (good cholesterol). So foods that have only trace amounts of fat that raise LDL and high amounts of fat that lower it, are going to lower it overall, and raise HDL at the same time. This is why they are considered heart heatlhy.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    But there are only trace amounts of trans fats and the rest is all good fat. The reason trans fats are bad are that they can increase levels of LDL (bad cholesterol) in the blood. Good fats decrease the amount of LDL and increase the amount HDL (good cholesterol). So foods that have only trace amounts of fat that raise LDL and high amounts of fat that lower it, are going to lower it overall, and raise HDL at the same time. This is why they are considered heart heatlhy.
    That is true that there's very little, but when you look at dosage .4g's per serving, for example might not seem like a lot but if someone has switched to one of these oils for the rest of their lives, using them everyday, that adds up to be quite a bit and if you research what they do on a molecular level, you'll see why there trying to get rid of them, basically, why even consider them in the first place.

As far as cholesterol is concerned again it depends. LDL is a bit of a red herring when it comes to heart health and so is cholesterol in general, even though their a popular concept and it makes everything sound simple, but there's more to it, like anything in life. For example LDL and HDL isn't actually cholesterol, their protein capsules that transport cholesterol throught the blood called lipoproteins. LDL have different particle sizes. WE have LDL, IDL, VLDL and we have pattern A and pattern B then we have what's called Lp(a) and we also have apoB. If it were as simple as lowering LDL then refined carbs and sugar would be the 900 lb gorilla because they lower LDL the most. For example if you replace monounsaturated fats with polyunsaturated fat you decrease HDL, and if you replace saturated fat with monounsaturated fat your reduce HDL, so HDL while important the focus should be on something else and that would be a type of LDL particle. If you research LDL-C which is just the total level of LDL in the blood you'll find studies where pretty much everyone agrees is not a good predictor of heart disease. When you consider most obese people and people with metabolic disorder have low levels of LDL cholesterol as does people that actually have heart attacks, then something else is going on. I'll give you something to research, ApoB and LDL-P.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    That is true that there's very little, but when you look at dosage .4g's per serving, for example might not seem like a lot but if someone has switched to one of these oils for the rest of their lives, using them everyday, that adds up to be quite a bit and if you research what they do on a molecular level, you'll see why there trying to get rid of them, basically, why even consider them in the first place.

As far as cholesterol is concerned again it depends. LDL is a bit of a red herring when it comes to heart health and so is cholesterol in general, even though their a popular concept and it makes everything sound simple, but there's more to it, like anything in life. For example LDL and HDL isn't actually cholesterol, their protein capsules that transport cholesterol throught the blood called lipoproteins. LDL have different particle sizes. WE have LDL, IDL, VLDL and we have pattern A and pattern B then we have what's called Lp(a) and we also have apoB. If it were as simple as lowering LDL then refined carbs and sugar would be the 900 lb gorilla because they lower LDL the most. For example if you replace monounsaturated fats with polyunsaturated fat you decrease HDL, and if you replace saturated fat with monounsaturated fat your reduce HDL, so HDL while important the focus should be on something else and that would be a type of LDL particle. If you research LDL-C which is just the total level of LDL in the blood you'll find studies where pretty much everyone agrees is not a good predictor of heart disease. When you consider most obese people and people with metabolic disorder have low levels of LDL cholesterol as does people that actually have heart attacks, then something else is going on. I'll give you something to research, ApoB and LDL-P.

Yes, I know what LDL and HDL are. Your mixing a lot of topics and leaving a lot of stuff out of that rant above, but none of it changes the fact that research has shown vegetable oils to be healthy.

Here is a good article on fat and cholesterol research, if you are interested.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats-and-cholesterol/
  • neanderthin
    Options

Yes, I know what LDL and HDL are. Your mixing a lot of topics and leaving a lot of stuff out of that rant above, but none of it changes the fact that research has shown vegetable oils to be healthy.
    lol, no it wasn't a rant, I was actually sharing some information on cholesterol that I though might open your mind a little more, I quess I was wrong.I disagree, you have no idea at all what HDL and LDL are.....otherwise we would be discussing it a little differently that we are now. yoy. I never said vegetable oils are unhealthy lol, I said certain ones, the refined ones. Olive oil, macadamia oil, coconut oil, these are all vegetable oils that I consume, and I love them, their fantastic lol.....you brain is on a one track mind, so yes vegetable oils is healthy, can you see the distinction, no probably not. Yes that link on oil was so detailed it made my brain explode.
  • bcattoes
    Options

lol, no it wasn't a rant, I was actually sharing some information on cholesterol that I though might open your mind a little more, I quess I was wrong.I disagree, you have no idea at all what HDL and LDL are.....otherwise we would be discussing it a little differently that we are now. yoy. I never said vegetable oils are unhealthy lol, I said certain ones, the refined ones. Olive oil, macadamia oil, coconut oil, these are all vegetable oils that I consume, and I love them, their fantastic lol.....you brain is on a one track mind, so yes vegetable oils is healthy, can you see the distinction, no probably not.

Ah, the old "you don't agree with me so your mind is snapped shut argument" Very effective.