About Margarine

Options
12346»

Replies

• caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    snip...

Yes, I know what LDL and HDL are. Your mixing a lot of topics and leaving a lot of stuff out of that rant above, but none of it changes the fact that research has shown vegetable oils to be healthy.

lol, no it wasn't a rant, I was actually sharing some information on cholesterol that I though might open your mind a little more, I quess I was wrong.I disagree, you have no idea at all what HDL and LDL are.....otherwise we would be discussing it a little differently that we are now. yoy. I never said vegetable oils are unhealthy lol, I said certain ones, the refined ones. Olive oil, macadamia oil, coconut oil, these are all vegetable oils that I consume, and I love them, their fantastic lol.....you brain is on a one track mind, so yes vegetable oils is healthy, can you see the distinction, no probably not.

Let's break it down like this, and it feeds into why margarine and it's friends canola, cottonseed, safflower, sunflower, corn, and the very specific "vegetable oil" are not as friendly as their saturated or monounsaturated cousins.

These oils are higher in omega 6 fatty acids. For many people, these oils make up a very non-trivial portion of their diet. If you eat lots of processed foods, slather your morning 100 calorie bagel thin with margarine, cook with margarine or canola/seed oils, you probably are consuming a terrible ratio of Omega 6:Omega 3 fatty acids. Why is that important? Because Omega-6 fatty acids are pro-inflammatory. Chronic, systemic inflammation is associated with LOTS of health issues, including cardiovascular disease.

The second reason to avoid these types of oils is that are easily oxidized (rancid), and must be chemically deodorized (and I suppose something is also done to minimize a rancid taste). Oxidized PUFAs are one of the biggest culprits in inflammatory diseases.

http://butterbeliever.com/what-is-pufa/
    I know nothing about this website, but I thought this write-up was well done, and in light of this thread, it seemed appropriate to link to a site call Butter Believer. Ha.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    snip...

Yes, I know what LDL and HDL are. Your mixing a lot of topics and leaving a lot of stuff out of that rant above, but none of it changes the fact that research has shown vegetable oils to be healthy.

lol, no it wasn't a rant, I was actually sharing some information on cholesterol that I though might open your mind a little more, I quess I was wrong.I disagree, you have no idea at all what HDL and LDL are.....otherwise we would be discussing it a little differently that we are now. yoy. I never said vegetable oils are unhealthy lol, I said certain ones, the refined ones. Olive oil, macadamia oil, coconut oil, these are all vegetable oils that I consume, and I love them, their fantastic lol.....you brain is on a one track mind, so yes vegetable oils is healthy, can you see the distinction, no probably not.

Let's break it down like this, and it feeds into why margarine and it's friends canola, cottonseed, safflower, sunflower, corn, and the very specific "vegetable oil" are not as friendly as their saturated or monounsaturated cousins.

These oils are higher in omega 6 fatty acids. For many people, these oils make up a very non-trivial portion of their diet. If you eat lots of processed foods, slather your morning 100 calorie bagel thin with margarine, cook with margarine or canola/seed oils, you probably are consuming a terrible ratio of Omega 6:Omega 3 fatty acids. Why is that important? Because Omega-6 fatty acids are pro-inflammatory. Chronic, systemic inflammation is associated with LOTS of health issues, including cardiovascular disease.

The second reason to avoid these types of oils is that are easily oxidized (rancid), and must be chemically deodorized (and I suppose something is also done to minimize a rancid taste). Oxidized PUFAs are one of the biggest culprits in inflammatory diseases.

I know nothing about this website, but I thought this write-up was well done, and in light of this thread, it seemed appropriate to link to a site call Butter Believer. Ha.

There are a lot of "if's" in your post.

Omega-6 is a necessary fat and reduced inflammation.
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/omega-3/
    What are omega-6 fatty acids? Should I be concerned about the ratio of omega-6 fatty acids to omega-3 fatty acids in my diet?

Omega-6 fatty acids (also known as n-6 fatty acids) are also polyunsaturated fatty acids that are essential nutrients, meaning that our bodies cannot make them and we must obtain them from food. They are abundant in the Western diet; common sources include safflower, corn, cottonseed, and soybean oils.

Omega-6 fatty acids lower LDL cholesterol (the “bad” cholesterol) and reduce inflammation, and they are protective against heart disease. So both omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids are healthy. While there is a theory that omega-3 fatty acids are better for our health than omega-6 fatty acids, this is not supported by the latest evidence. Thus the omega-3 to omega-6 ratio is basically the “good divided by the good,” so it is of no value in evaluating diet quality or predicting disease.

Both poly- and mono-unsaturated fats are healthy:
    • Monounsaturated fats are found in high concentrations in olive, peanut, and canola oils; avocados; nuts such as almonds, hazelnuts, and pecans; and seeds such as pumpkin and sesame seeds.
    • Polyunsaturated fats are found in high concentrations in sunflower, corn, soybean, and flaxseed oils, and also in foods such as walnuts, flax seeds, and fish; canola oil, though higher in monounsaturated fat, is also a good source of polyunsaturated fat. Omega-3 fats, which are fast becoming the darling of the supplement industry, are an important type of polyunsaturated fat. The body can’t make these, so they must come from food. An excellent way to get omega-3 fats is by eating fish two or three times a week. Good plant sources of omega-3 fats include chia seeds (sold as Salvia), flax seeds, walnuts, and oils such as flaxseed, canola, and soybean.
    More recently, a randomized trial known as the Optimal Macronutrient Intake Trial for Heart Health (OmniHeart) showed that replacing a carbohydrate-rich diet with one rich in unsaturated fat, predominantly monounsaturated fats, lowers blood pressure, improves lipid levels, and reduces the estimated cardiovascular risk.
    For polyunsaturated fats, the American Heart Association has set 8 to 10 percent of calories as a prudent target; there is evidence, though, that eating more polyunsaturated fat—on the order of 15 percent of daily calories—in place of saturated fat can lower heart disease risk
  • kklemarow
    kklemarow Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I use Earth Balance which is organic and a good combination of fats. I would not touch margerine with a 10 ft pole.

I LOVE Earth Balance! Great product.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that post bcattoes.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    snip...

There are a lot of "if's" in your post.

Omega-6 is a necessary fat and reduced inflammation.
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/omega-3/
    What are omega-6 fatty acids? Should I be concerned about the ratio of omega-6 fatty acids to omega-3 fatty acids in my diet?

Omega-6 fatty acids (also known as n-6 fatty acids) are also polyunsaturated fatty acids that are essential nutrients, meaning that our bodies cannot make them and we must obtain them from food. They are abundant in the Western diet; common sources include safflower, corn, cottonseed, and soybean oils.

Omega-6 fatty acids lower LDL cholesterol (the “bad” cholesterol) and reduce inflammation, and they are protective against heart disease. So both omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids are healthy. While there is a theory that omega-3 fatty acids are better for our health than omega-6 fatty acids, this is not supported by the latest evidence. Thus the omega-3 to omega-6 ratio is basically the “good divided by the good,” so it is of no value in evaluating diet quality or predicting disease.

Both poly- and mono-unsaturated fats are healthy:
    • Monounsaturated fats are found in high concentrations in olive, peanut, and canola oils; avocados; nuts such as almonds, hazelnuts, and pecans; and seeds such as pumpkin and sesame seeds.
    • Polyunsaturated fats are found in high concentrations in sunflower, corn, soybean, and flaxseed oils, and also in foods such as walnuts, flax seeds, and fish; canola oil, though higher in monounsaturated fat, is also a good source of polyunsaturated fat. Omega-3 fats, which are fast becoming the darling of the supplement industry, are an important type of polyunsaturated fat. The body can’t make these, so they must come from food. An excellent way to get omega-3 fats is by eating fish two or three times a week. Good plant sources of omega-3 fats include chia seeds (sold as Salvia), flax seeds, walnuts, and oils such as flaxseed, canola, and soybean.
    More recently, a randomized trial known as the Optimal Macronutrient Intake Trial for Heart Health (OmniHeart) showed that replacing a carbohydrate-rich diet with one rich in unsaturated fat, predominantly monounsaturated fats, lowers blood pressure, improves lipid levels, and reduces the estimated cardiovascular risk.
    For polyunsaturated fats, the American Heart Association has set 8 to 10 percent of calories as a prudent target; there is evidence, though, that eating more polyunsaturated fat—on the order of 15 percent of daily calories—in place of saturated fat can lower heart disease risk

This is what drives me crazy.
    The above paragraph from good old Harvard is crap. Yes.. both fish oil and canola oil are PUFAs. But notice above they stress the benefits of Omega 3. Which fish oil is great for. But...

Safflower, Sunflower, Corn, Peanut, Sesame and cottonseed oils have 0% Omega 3 fatty acids. They're pure Omega 6 crap that are fine in very limited amounts, but unfortunately are used in almost every processed food, so most people eat more than a little bit.

Canola oil has some Omega-3 (hooray!) but the ratio still sucks: 20:9. Soybean oil is worse, at 51:7. So yes, these 2 PUFAs have some Omega 3 (thanks, Harvard, for mentioning them), but a crap load of Omega 6. And if you eat lots of processed foods, you are consuming a lot of these. There are different estimates, but Omega6:3 ratios in American may range from an average of 10:1 to 25:1, when ideal is 1:1.
    http://chriskresser.com/how-too-much-omega-6-and-not-enough-omega-3-is-making-us-sick

I will happily chow down on my monounsaturated coconut oil, avocados and almonds. I will thoroughly enjoy my polyunsaturated wild-caught salmon and sardines, and drizzle my tomatoes with olive oil. I will gleefully saute my food in saturated butter and bacon grease.

I'll leave the "healthy" corn oil and "butter-like spreads" to you.
  • tifferz_91
    tifferz_91 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    THIS is why i immediately went back to organic pasture butter.

I'm NEVER going back to fake "butters" & "spreads" again! :sick:
  • IAteBethDitto
    IAteBethDitto Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Isn't the real problem with margarine an environmental one? If it's made from rapeseed oil or whatever then its popularity will mean huge 'green deserts' of a single crop.

This isn't especially great for pollinators and it's generally a bad thing for biodiversity, since species beget other species.

That's why I use butter.

http://conservationbytes.com/2010/03/11/global-pollinator-declines/
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    THIS is why i immediately went back to organic pasture butter.

I'm NEVER going back to fake "butters" & "spreads" again! :sick:

If by "this" you mean the OP, then you should read the rest of the thread, including the Snopes article posted on the first page.